20th Aug 2014 - Online Invitation & Timeline Updated!
Comic Fiesta 2014 Cosplay Invitational
The advent of cosplay in Malaysia has seen a meteoric rise in the number of competitions held each year to showcase the talent of cosplayers who are dedicated and passionate to their craft.
Comic Fiesta 2014 is returning this year with the largest cosplay competition to be held in Malaysia. If you have what it takes to be the best of the best cosplayers of the year (and the country!), we want YOU to be part of it.
Want to be a part of this? Here’s how:
Participation in the Cosplay Invitational is available to both Solo and Group participations (both hereby referred to as “participants”) by invitation only.
There are two (2) ways to gain an invitation:
- Gaining a Direct Invitation through an affiliated event*.
- Voted for an Online Invitation through public nomination.
Current List of Affiliates:
PLAY! (28/29 June, 2014) ------------------- Representative: Team Blood
Animangaki (9/10 August, 2014) ------------------- Representative: - forfeited -
Comic Fiesta Mini 2014 (27/28 September, 2014) ------------------- Representative: Team Yuan & Sky
CosMart (1/2 November, 2014) ------------------- Representative: - to be confirmed -
*The method of selection for the recipient of each Direct Invitation is subject to the decision of each event.
There will be 4 Online Invitations to be given out this year.
Nominations for Online Invitations are available for public submission between the periods of 10th August 2014 – 10th October 2014.
To be considered for nomination, the nominee (either a single person or group) must:
- Be aged 13 and above.
- Be able to attend rehearsal on Friday, 26th December 2014.
- Be able to attend Day 2 of Comic Fiesta 2014.
- Have participated in a skit-based cosplay competition in Malaysia in 2014.
- Have a video of aforementioned skit available online.
- For groups, the members cannot exceed more than five (5) people.
To nominate a person/group, kindly send an email in English to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- E-mail contact of the nominee.
- Link to the nominee’s skit which he/she/they participated in in 2014.
Shortlisted nominees will be informed of their nomination by 15th October.
Confirmed nominees will be posted up for voting between the periods of 20st October – 30th October.
Participants must be above the age of 12; Those aged 17 or below are required to submit a letter of permission from their parents upon invitation. [Download a template here]
Competition Format & Prizes:
Performance Format: 3 - 8 minutes, Free Skit
Judges: To Be Announced
Three (3) person judging team:
- 40% Costume
- 35% Performance Value
- 15% Character Portrayal
- 10% Judge’s Bonus
Grand Prize – RM2500.00 + Personalized Medals + Group Name Engraved in the Parteh Cup.
1st Runner-Up – RM1500.00 + Personalized Medals
2nd Runner-Up – RM1000.00 + Personalized Medals
Rules, Regulations & Guidelines:
- Participation in the Cosplay Invitational is limited to those invited only.
- Invitations to the Cosplay Invitational will not take race, creed, gender or nationality into consideration when issuing invitations.
- Invited participants must provide confirmation for their participation within fifteen (15) days of receiving notice of their invitation. Failure to do so will be taken as a rejection of participation and a new representative will be selected.
- Invited participants will be provided free entry to Comic Fiesta 2014. Additional tickets can be provided upon request (up to a maximum of five (5)) upon confirmation of participation.
- Participants will be required to provide no less than three (3) cosplay photos of themselves in high resolution (3000x2000, i.e. 6megapixel).
- Participants do not need to be wearing the same costume in all three (3) photos provided.
- Of the photos provided, there must at least be one (1) in landscape, and one (1) in portrait.
- The organiser has arranged for the services of a photographer within the Klang Valley to aid with participants’ photos. This can be requested for and provided pending availability, but is strictly limited to within the Klang Valley/Kuala Lumpur area only. (Details will be provided upon confirmation of availability.)
- All skits performed for the Cosplay Invitational are encouraged to be in English. If you wish to perform in Eltharin, Lekh Dothraki, Khuzdul, Klingonese, binary-bleeps (or any other language for that matter), do consider the comprehension of our judges and provide subtitles whenever necessary.
- The use of pre-made audio, video and/or image files is encouraged. Only the following file formats will be supported,
Audio – .wav
Video – .avi/.wmv/.mpeg4/.mkv
Image – .jpeg/.jpg/.png
- The organiser has arranged for the use of a recording studio based in Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, Damansara, Selangor to aid with participants’ recordings. This can be requested for and provided pending availability. (Details will be provided upon confirmation of availability.)
- Any audio, video and/or image files/recordings to be used must be sent over for a quality check by 1st December latest.
- If an audio, video and/or image(s) fails the quality check, the participant will be requested to redo it until the organizers are satisfied.
- Participants are required to attend a stage rehearsal on Friday, 26th December 2014. (Exact time will only be confirmed latest by 1st December)
- Participants are required to register themselves at a registration counter thirty (30) minutes before rehearsal time begins.
- A contact person will be made available to participants once they have arrived to assist them through the rest of the competition.
- Participants are not required to rehearse in costume.
Stage & Setup
- The Comic Fiesta 2014 Cosplay Invitational will be held on Sunday, 28th December 2014, in the Ballroom 1, Level 3, KLCC Convention Center.
- Standard Comic Fiesta Cosplay Rules & Regulations will still apply.
- The precise stage dimensions will be confirmed soon.
- Participants will have access to,
o Two (2) 2x5’ IBM tables
o Five (5) standard banquet chairs
o Four (4) cordless microphones
o A projector screen (dimensions to be confirmed)
All participants are encouraged to make full use of the facilities as they deem necessary.
- Additional logistical support (including the use of stage lighting) may be provided upon advance request pending availability.
- Participants will have a maximum of two (2) minutes to set up their skit, and up to eight (8) minutes to perform.
- There can be strictly no “do-overs” or “restarts” on competition day.
- As usual, keep the contents of the skit PG13. That means no blatant vulgarities and/or obscenities.
- No messes on stage. Any messes left behind by a participant will result in a deduction of marks.
- No projectiles may be fired into the audience area. The organizer has the right to disqualify and remove participants from the event premises if they are found to have violated this rule.
- Do not damage the facilities. Any damage sustained while using the facilities will be made the responsibility of the participant.
- If a participant is not sure of what is or not allowed on stage, he/she/they are more than welcome to ask for further clarifications.
- A maximum of two (2) helpers are allowed for any participant.
- Helpers are not considered into a participant’s member count. (i.e. Regardless of your group size, you will always be able to have up to two (2) helpers.)
- Helpers may assist participants in the set-up of their skit, set-up their costumes, make-up and/or assist in the choreography from off-stage.
- Helpers may also play as props (e.g. a tree), provide on-stage manual effects (e.g. a fireball), in which case, they MUST be covered in black.
- Helpers cannot carry any speaking roles throughout your skit, nor can they play the role of extras.
- Helpers cannot handle any stage equipment. If something needs to be move, it must be done with a request to the stage crew.
- All communications with respect to the Cosplay Invitation will and must be done in English. It doesn’t have to be perfect Queen’s English (spoken with a pinky held out while sipping on a cup of tea), but it HAS to be in English.
- All communications with respect to the Cosplay Invitation may be done through a non-participating representative (arranged by a participant). In this case, the representative must be made known to the Comic Fiesta Organising Committee at the soonest possible.
- All participants are required to uphold the highest regard for sportsmanship and fair play. Being friendly and fun helps too.
- Participants are encouraged to report any complaints to the Comic Fiesta 2014 Organizing Committee to ensure that any action necessary can be taken in time.
- (As usual) The decisions of the judges are final. Any complaints or concerns brought forth will be obliged, but will not result in a change of the results.
- The Comic Fiesta 2014 Organizing Committee will not be held liable to any injuries or losses incurred as a result of a participant’s participation in this competition.
- Participants are required to give their fullest cooperation to the Comic Fiesta 2014 organizers and its crew throughout their participation of this competition and its parent event.
- The Comic Fiesta 2014 Organizing Committee reserves the right to disqualify, with due reason, any participant found contravening any of the rules stated above.
- The Comic Fiesta 2014 Organizing Committee reserves the right to use any footage captured through the competition and the likeness of any participant for the promotion of the Cosplay Invitational, Comic Fiesta and any of its sister events.
- The Comic Fiesta 2014 Organizing Committee reserves the right to amend the details of this competition at their own discretion without prior information.
Must I be a Malaysian to be eligible?
No. While you do have to join a Malaysian cosplay competition first, you do not need to be a Malaysian to join.
Can I nominate myself/my group for an Online Invitation?
Yes. You can nominate anyone you want, be it someone else or yourself.
If my group has earned an Invitation, may I add/remove members from my group?
No. The group composition must remain as it was during the competition which you/your group won it with.
What about my helpers? Am I allowed helpers and can I add/remove them?
You are welcome to change your helpers as you see fit (as long as it is kept to within two (2) people.)
About that, what’s this business on limiting my helpers to two (2)?
There are a lot of reasons, but chief of all is clutter. We want everyone to have a smooth experience, and to do that, we want to minimize the number of moving parts (in this case, people) backstage.
Can I be a participating member of multiple groups?
Can I or my group use different costumes for the Cosplay Invitational (from the ones we wore in our previous competitions)?
It says that I have two (2) minutes to set-up and eight (8) minutes to perform. Does this mean I have a total of ten (10) minutes stage time? Can I have more time to perform if my set-up is super quick (or vice-versa)?
This will be dependent on the judges. We will advise the judges on our rules and regulations, and inform them of the time as it progresses. Whether it should affect your marks will be their individual prerogative.
… But you will call me/my group off the stage at the strike of ten (10) minutes?
May I decline an invitation?
Yes. (But it would make us sad. L)
Got more questions? Please contact us here and help us expand our FAQ: email@example.com
Interested in becoming an affiliated competition? Please contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org