Comic Fiesta 2015 Cosplay Invitational
Through competitions, come winners. And from the performance of the winners, it’s apparent that cosplay is serious business. Armed with passion, dedication and determination, cosplayers from all around the country step up the stage to show you what they’re worth.
Cosplay Invitational is coming back to Comic Fiesta 2015! How can we not, with all those fabulous performances by our awesome cosplayers last year~! If you think you’re awesome and you know you can do it like our CI’14 winners (if not better), it’s your destiny to join us.
Here’s what you need to know to enter:
You can join Cosplay Invitational by invitation only.
There are two (2) ways to gain an invitation:
- Gaining a Direct Invitation through an affiliated event*.
- Being voted and shortlisted in Online Invitation through public nomination.
The winner of the cosplay competition of each of our affiliated events will be given a Direct Invitation to the Cosplay Invitational. Our affiliated events are,
- Animangaki 2015
- Comic Fiesta Mini 2015.
There will be 6 Online Invitations to be given out this year.
To nominate a person/group, kindly send an email in English to email@example.com with the following details:
- Facebook account, E-mail address and Contact number of the nominee. (so that we
can get in touch with the nominee if they are selected as finalists.).
- Link to the nominee’s skit which he/she/they participated from Nov 2014 onwards.
To be eligible for nomination, you (either solo or group) must:
- Be aged 13 and above.
- Be able to attend Pre-event briefing on Friday, 18th December 2015.
- Be able to attend Day 2 of Comic Fiesta 2015.
- Have participated in a skit-based cosplay competition in Malaysia from Nov 2014 onwards.
- Have a video of aforementioned skit available online.
- For groups, the members cannot exceed more than three (3) people.
To allow for more chances of participation, we will open nominations for public submission in two (2) batches:
- starts on 20th May 2015 to 31st July 2015
- we will accept entries from 1st Nov 2014 to 1st May 2015
- 2 Online Invitations will be given out for this round!
- starts on 1st Aug 2015 and closes on 22nd Aug 2015
- we will accept entries from 1st Jan 2015 to 22nd Aug 2015
- all competing cosplay groups registered for Animangaki 2015 & Comic Fiesta Mini 2015 will automatically be considered for nomination.
- 4 Online Invitations will be given out for this round!
We will inform the shortlisted nominees of their nomination by,
1st Round - 9th August
2nd Round - 13th Sept
Then, voting for the confirmed nominees will be on,
1st Round - 5th August – 21st August
2nd Round - 19th September – 25th September
Again, we need to remind you that participants must be above the age of 12; Those aged 17 or below are required to submit a letter of permission from their parents upon invitation. [Download a template here]
Competition Format & Prizes:
Performance Format: 3 - 8 minutes, Free Skit
Judges: To Be Announced
Three (3) person judging team:
- 35% Costume
- 40% Performance Value
- 15% Character Portrayal
- 10% Judge’s Bonus
Grand Prize – RM2500.00 + Personalized Medals + Group Name Engraved in the Parteh Cup.
1st Runner-Up – RM1500.00 + Personalized Medals
2nd Runner-Up – RM1000.00 + Personalized Medals
Crowds’ Choice – RM100.00
Best Saikang Award x 2 – Personalized Medal
Rules, Regulations & Guidelines:
- Anyone can join Cosplay Invitational whether you are a Pokemon #039 or Hideyoshi. We don’t discriminate.
- Shortlisted nominees for online voting must confirm with us your interest in participation within five (5) days of receiving notice of your nomination. If you failed to confirm within given period, you will forfeit your nomination and a new representative will be selected.
- Nominees voted in by the public will have two (2) days thereafter to confirm their participation. Please think carefully on your decision and do not FFK! Those who backed out or MIA (Missing In Action) last minute without sufficiently-valid reasons will be blacklisted for the following year.
- Shortlisted nominees will be given free entry to Comic Fiesta 2015. Additional tickets can be provided upon request (up to a maximum of two (2)) upon confirmation of participation.
- For shortlisted nominees, you must provide three (3) of your cosplay photos in high resolution (3000x2000, i.e. 6megapixel).
- You don’t have to wear the same costume in all three (3) photos provided.
- Of the photos provided, there must at least be :
- One (1) in landscape,
- One (1) in portrait
- One (1) in either landscape or portrait
- The organiser has arranged for the services of a photographer within the Klang Valley to aid with participants’ photos. This can be requested for and provided pending availability, but is strictly limited to within the Klang Valley/Kuala Lumpur area only. (Details will be provided upon confirmation of availability.)
- All skits performed for the Cosplay Invitational are encouraged to be in English. If you wish to perform in Eltharin, Lekh Dothraki, Khuzdul, Klingonese, binary-bleeps (or any other language for that matter), do consider the comprehension of our judges and provide subtitles whenever necessary.
- The use of pre-made audio, video and/or image files is encouraged. Only the following file formats will be supported,
Audio – .wav
Video – .avi/.wmv/.mpeg4/.mkv
Image – .jpeg/.jpg/.png
- The organiser has arranged for the use of a recording studio based in Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, Damansara, Selangor to aid with participants’ recordings. This can be requested for and provided pending availability. (Details will be provided upon confirmation of availability.)
- Any audio, video and/or image files/recordings to be used must be sent over for a quality check by 15th November latest.
- If your audio, video and/or image(s) fails the quality check, you need to redo it until the organizers are satisfied.
- You are required to attend Pre-event briefing on Friday, 18th December 2015. (Exact time will only be confirmed latest by 1st December)
- Thirty (30) minutes before briefing begins, you need to register yourselves at the registration counter.
- We will have one contact person to assist you through the rest of the competition.
- The Comic Fiesta 2015 Cosplay Invitational will be held on Sunday, 20th December 2015, in Mines International Exhibition & Convention Center.
- Standard Comic Fiesta Cosplay Rules & Regulations will still apply.
- The precise stage dimensions will be confirmed soon.
- Participants will have access to,
o Two (2) 2x5’ IBM tables
o Five (5) standard banquet chairs
o Three (3) cordless microphones
o A projector screen (dimensions to be confirmed)
All participants are encouraged to make full use of the facilities as they deem necessary.
- Additional logistical support (including the use of stage lighting) may be provided upon advance request pending availability.
- Participants will have a maximum of two (2) minutes to set up their skit, and up to eight (8) minutes to perform.
- There can be strictly no “do-overs” or “restarts” on competition day.
- As usual, keep the contents of the skit PG13. That means no blatant vulgarities and/or obscenities.
- No messes on stage. Any messes left behind by a participant will result in a deduction of marks.
- No projectiles may be fired into the audience area. The organizer has the right to disqualify and remove participants from the event premises if they are found to have violated this rule.
- Do not damage the facilities. Any damage sustained while using the facilities will be made the responsibility of the participant.
- If a participant is not sure of what is or not allowed on stage, he/she/they are more than welcome to ask for further clarifications.
- A maximum of two (2) helpers are allowed for any participant.
- Helpers are not considered into a participant’s member count. (i.e. Regardless of your group size, you will always be able to have up to two (2) helpers.)
- Helpers may assist participants in the set-up of their skit, set-up their costumes, make-up and/or assist in the choreography from off-stage.
- Helpers may also play as props (e.g. a tree), provide on-stage manual effects (e.g. a fireball), in which case, they MUST be covered in black.
- Helpers cannot carry any speaking roles throughout your skit, nor can they play the role of extras.
- Helpers cannot handle any stage equipment. If something needs to be move, it must be done with a request to the stage crew.
- All communications with respect to the Cosplay Invitation will and must be done in English. It doesn’t have to be perfect Queen’s English (spoken with a pinky held out while sipping on a cup of tea), but it HAS to be in English.
- All communications with respect to the Cosplay Invitation may be done through a non-participating representative (arranged by a participant). In this case, the representative must be made known to the Comic Fiesta Organising Committee at the soonest possible.
- All participants are required to uphold the highest regard for sportsmanship and fair play. Being friendly and fun helps too.
- Participants are encouraged to report any complaints to the Comic Fiesta 2015 Organizing Committee to ensure that any action necessary can be taken in time.
- (As usual) The decisions of the judges are final. Any complaints or concerns brought forth will be obliged, but will not result in a change of the results.
- The Comic Fiesta 2015 Organizing Committee will not be held liable to any injuries or losses incurred as a result of a participant’s participation in this competition.
- Participants are required to give their fullest cooperation to the Comic Fiesta 2015 organizers and its crew throughout their participation of this competition and its parent event.
- The Comic Fiesta 2015 Organizing Committee reserves the right to disqualify, with due reason, any participant found contravening any of the rules stated above.
- The Comic Fiesta 2015 Organizing Committee reserves the right to use any footage captured through the competition and the likeness of any participant for the promotion of the Cosplay Invitational, Comic Fiesta and any of its sister events.
- The Comic Fiesta 2015 Organizing Committee reserves the right to amend the details of this competition at their own discretion without prior information.
Must I be a Malaysian to be eligible?
No. While you do have to join a Malaysian cosplay competition first, you do not need to be a Malaysian to join.
Can I nominate myself/my group for an Online Invitation?
Yes. You can nominate anyone you want, be it someone else or yourself.
If my group has earned an Invitation, may I add/remove members from my group?
No. The group composition must remain as it was during the competition which you/your group won it with.
What about my helpers? Am I allowed helpers and can I add/remove them?
You are welcome to change your helpers as you see fit (as long as it is kept to within two (2) people.)
About that, what’s this business on limiting my helpers to two (2)?
There are a lot of reasons, but chief of all is clutter. We want everyone to have a smooth experience, and to do that, we want to minimize the number of moving parts (in this case, people) backstage.
Can I be a participating member of multiple groups?
Can I or my group use different costumes for the Cosplay Invitational (from the ones we wore in our previous competitions)?
It says that I have two (2) minutes to set-up and eight (8) minutes to perform. Does this mean I have a total of ten (10) minutes stage time? Can I have more time to perform if my set-up is super quick (or vice-versa)?
This will be dependent on the judges. We will advise the judges on our rules and regulations, and inform them of the time as it progresses. Whether it should affect your marks will be their individual prerogative.
… But you will call me/my group off the stage at the strike of ten (10) minutes?
Why the blacklisting if I fail to appear? It's not like I wanted to bail out on you. My costume didn't turn out that good... ;___;
Sorry, but imagine how you'd feel if you were extremely-super-mega-hyper-to-da-max excited about joining but didn’t get to compete because someone gets the place, only to find out that that someone went MIA afterwards... We really don't want that to happen. ;____;
May I decline an invitation?
Yes. (But it would make us sad. L)
Got more questions? Please contact us here and help us expand our FAQ: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in becoming an affiliated competition? Please contact us here: email@example.com