Photo

Programs other than Adobe Photoshop?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Coppelia

Coppelia

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:42 PM

Usually whenever I look at people submitting their artworks, they usually use Photoshop. Photoshop is... well, yeah, nice to use and stuffs but I'm still in the amateur category so I'm not able to utilize its abilities to the fullest. YET.So.....other than Photoshop, what else do people use to create their drawings from a scratch? Another program that I have is Paint Tool SAI and it's, by far, the awesomest thing I've ever used. What do you guys think or suggest for other programs? And what do you guys use anyway?
Posted Image

#2 yoko-chan

yoko-chan

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1669 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

I've heard of this....Coral Painter X. It's also something like photoshop where you can edit and draw pictures.It comes together with my tablet but....expired... T.T
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:32 AM

Well there's also Ulead Photoimpact or any other Ulead grahic programmes. Also, Paint Shop Pro..

通りすがりの仮面ライダーだ、覚えておけ!」。Flame Izumi's albums, FF.N acc,

#4 Touda

Touda

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

GIMP. A freeware. It's functions almost like Photoshop.
deviantART | YouTube | tensionACADEMY Official Website2010 Cosplay Plans[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]

#5 hreaper

hreaper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

I'd go with GIMPand Inkscape. Can replace Photoshop and Illustrator.
Death once had a near-Chuck-Norris experience.hreaper@Blogspot - Real War Machine Suit

#6 Firnheledien

Firnheledien

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

I think Painter is a bit too advanced if you're not even using Photoshop. Plus, it's a very large program, so it tends to crash a lot.I highly recommend SAI (I love this the most!), Open Canvas (something like SAI without the textures, but has tones and can do text) and Paint Shop Pro (I'm using version 7, because it's basic enough and still pretty powerful).

#7 aislereverie

aislereverie

hobo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

Paint Tool SAI~i like it xD

#8 hreaper

hreaper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

Hmm.. SAI is surprisingly easy to use. It loads a lot faster than GIMP and is pretty customizable.But it lacks a lot of GIMP's features as well as being able to only save to .sai, .bmp, .psd, .jpg and .tar.For a lightweight, fast image editor/manipulation program, SAI is pretty good... for a trial software.It has a 31 day evaluation period, at the end of which,SAI cost ¥5250 = RM197.93.
Death once had a near-Chuck-Norris experience.hreaper@Blogspot - Real War Machine Suit

#9 aislereverie

aislereverie

hobo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 929 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

or else Corel Painter X SAI is easier xDbut no dodge tool O:

#10 takayukiryuu689

takayukiryuu689

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

u cn use paint.net ^^ it's free~ well it's nt gud as the other software~ bt u cn learn from it since it's using layers too~ *aka it's an upgrade of paint tools*
FAte Stay Night Group Updated For ComiCFIesta10! List to cosplay 2010;Alter SaberKaitolist of cosplay 2011;Angel Beat-TKAr Tonelico 2-Croix BratelTTGL-KaminaVocaloid-KaitoKaichou wa maid-sama-Usui TakumiD.Grayman-Labi ver3

#11 SiLveR_WinG

SiLveR_WinG

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

prefer Easy Paint tool SAI, since it jz need less than 5mb for the files, jz when use at beginning need a few second to do registry installation~=)and u can adjust the anti shock so ur line wun be sooooo shacking as photoshop, and u can get a add in pack for SAI with many kind of tones and texture, but the add-on pack is around 60mb, with over 30++ kind of brushes tone, why not?and the anti shock system ya, u can adjust how fine it is so for those not really wanna rely on antishock but hate photoshop's sensetivity can hv major fine, if u dun mind to rely on the software,u can use until super fine to make your line look dam nice~oh ya and is in half vector mode, so ur line wun be alias, it is ANTI ALIAS~^^officially is japanese version, and i hv chinese version.....XP~dunno got english version bo....=3=

#12 karasu

karasu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

I always find GIMP rather unstable.. has memory issues and crashes here and there. Especially dealing with large image. Haha, the new photoshop cs4 is crap imo. takes to much computing power to run.

#13 Last_knight

Last_knight

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

I got something a while back called ArtRage. Its got loads of painting-type effects, but makes normal drawings pretty well tooThink I'll check out GIMP though, worth a look :D

#14 KouYoona

KouYoona

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

Well, SAI is the easiest.. Cuz you dun need to figure much about the colour config. No matter what pressure, it comes out nice... As for GIMP, Painter and even photoshop... it is not easy to customize your brush preference... Even GIMP is almost the same as photoshop.. But GIMP wun remember the brush you used... And if you do not know how to customize it properly.. The colour can get very awful.. Painter is the hardest of all.. When it comes to mixing colour... It gives me headache and I am not using it to earn a living...So I dun think its worth the headache.. Though its fun trying out different stuff ... But, Of course at the end of the day skills are no matter what the most important thing... All the program are really almost the same if you know how to work things around..
http://pics.livejour...00rg4s/s320x240Where is my One Ok Rock concert Ticket?!!òωó

#15 iDouji

iDouji

Crazy Pudding Lover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

... I've been using Photoshop for around 1 year but when i got SAI.. huge difference.. SAI's lines are much smoother.. and suitable for drawing.. photoshop is mainly graphics for me now.
Posted ImageSignature by iDouji. (RIPPERS BE HATED)

#16 hreaper

hreaper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

SAI pawns all >D

So, you actually paid for it or you're using a crack?

#17 devilz kid

devilz kid

Pokémon Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:36 AM

SAI pawns all >D

-TheDollyEye contact lens (RM15~RM30) *ready stock*

-2nd hand/new items to be sold!! (Uchiha Sasuke wig, etc..)

Cosplay List:

Spoiler

#18 iDouji

iDouji

Crazy Pudding Lover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

It probably would be bad to say this but I cracked it. Well, not me. My friend passed it to me cracked. :/

#19 Abunai usagi

Abunai usagi

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

any1 here know where to download or buy SAI ??^^

#20 iDouji

iDouji

Crazy Pudding Lover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2068 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

Abunai: Google. Chances are you can either get a crack or the trial. Buy so far I can't find any in Malaysia.

#21 sidestreetsoul

sidestreetsoul

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:53 AM

any1 here know where to download or buy SAI ??^^

http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/ << official site.If you wanna find some illegal version *ahem* try google it or contact someone that have it to send the program to you..

#22 HonooNoKarite

HonooNoKarite

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

dont u all feel that SAI is easily pixelated ?? compare to photoshop and painter

Nope.Proof: Look at my avatar.

#23 Abunai usagi

Abunai usagi

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

corel painter 11 is a good software for painting , for mac user like me.....it is hard to crack it ><... :? i cant even crack it for years.....==lll any1 at here got the cracked corel painter 11 donwload link or CD ??

#24 Abunai usagi

Abunai usagi

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

dont u all feel that SAI is easily pixelated ?? compare to photoshop and painter

#25 HonooNoKarite

HonooNoKarite

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

On my WINDOWS MODE ON!1. Photoshop. Most common (and also the most common "bought")2. SAI. It's not free but you know where you can get it if you know how to get to it.LINUX MODE ON:1. MyPaint - FOSS (Free and Open Source Software). Works the best for a tablet user in most Linux distros.2. GIMP - While can be used for drawing, it is best used to give your works some final touches.3. Inkscape - Provides good, free alternative to Illustrator and also the program I use whenever I need advanced text editing while drawing a comic.Note that all 3 programs I listed there in my LINUX MODE ON MODE have Windows version of them, so feel free to try them whenever you can.

#26 charlikl

charlikl

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Photoshop is the best software to design any website or logos. I know when i have started my career in designing, at that time i was learning it and still now after invention of many photo softwares, still i am using that software only.With this you can also go for Dreamviewer, GIMP Editor and Corel Draw they are also best software for Web Designing.

#27 Raylorn

Raylorn

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

How about Gimp?It's almost the same as Photoshop except it's free..And you can use it for animation..I suppose you should also take a look at OpenCanvas. It's a graphic/painting software..You can try Inkscape as well, a free software for vector graphics..

#28 HonooNoKarite

HonooNoKarite

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

How about Gimp?It's almost the same as Photoshop except it's free..And you can use it for animation..I suppose you should also take a look at OpenCanvas. It's a graphic/painting software..You can try Inkscape as well, a free software for vector graphics..

Beat ya to that lol.Oh yeah, I remember I reviewed MyPaint 0.9.1 (latest version is 1.0.x from the website link I posted in the blog) a while back. This might help you get an idea of what it is.

#29 creamcaramello

creamcaramello

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

I use mostly IllustStudio for linearting and SAI for colouring+shading. Reason why I don't use IS for colouring+shading too is mostly because I've yet to play around with anything other than the pen, pencil and eraser tool there. XD

I guess if you're a fan of using textures, Photoshop's the way to go? Tbh, I've never tried using textures. You could say that I'm a total noob in that respect. ><

WARNING: At times would disappear from the face of the planet without prior notice. =)