Photo

Pulau Ketam dogs abandoned on deserted island

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Naoko Kensaku

Naoko Kensaku

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

Posted ImageAs some of you may know, around 300-400 dogs were abandoned on a deserted island near Pulau Ketam because the Pulau Ketam people would rather abandon them there then to put them to sleep. There's a rescue mission underway to rescue the dogs now being spearheaded by MyCen. (http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/)If you can, please call them and/or donate your time and energy to help these friends. :s Every second counts, as some of the dogs have resorted to cannibalism and while others like one above may not last much longer. Spread the word. If we can't even be kind to those who have no voice, how can we expect others to hear us. Thank you. PS: I am moving this thread to the Notices section after posting.

geminianeyes.gif?w=1&c=1&bb=lwZV95ca5c54c4dc6878ac825e926e033ce4.jpg

#2 Freelancer937

Freelancer937

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1900 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

ANNIMALS!PULAU KETAM-IANS that threw these pups there are not even animals! they are not worthy to be called as the living.I hate people who do bad things on goggieez..Havez my full supportz!
-The Awkward moment when Flaming gets mistaken as trolling and when stating the obvious is mistaken as flaming :dodgy: -Whosoever yang receive email from Junster@hotmail.com you gaiz can officially laugh at it. Troll at it and plox printscreen and show me. Its a fake account going around impersonating me sending hatemails bla bla bla

#3 Naoko Kensaku

Naoko Kensaku

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

Good news! They rescued the dog in the poster above and another male dog who urgently needs medical attention. :D Keep the donation and word of mouth going. If you have any suggestions/help to offer, please contact them. Personally I think when I go home today I'll hug my doggies. Mongrels they may be, but more precious than any convenience.

#4 xiaorain

xiaorain

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

good thing they rescue the dog^^ i cry when i saw this notice... i am planning to help them during my semester break ^^... i hate those barbaric people who always thinks that animal is just a thing to them... dogs are men best fren .... even when my dad wanna put my old dog to sleep... i still protest .. bec i love my dogs so much
i am not weird...:cool: i am just limited edition~ :angel:

#5 Naoko Kensaku

Naoko Kensaku

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

Xiaorain: They're rescuing more! Just check out their page for more. It's a slow slow process, but it's better than leaving the doggies to die!

#6 xiaorain

xiaorain

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

really 0.o.. that is good to heard about it ><.. cant wait for my semester break to help them
i am not weird...:cool: i am just limited edition~ :angel:

#7 wataru

wataru

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:50 AM

As much as I know that they're doing a good thing, I'm not gonna get behind this as quickly as everyone else.Whenever there's activist charities such as this, I always pay attention to the language they're using. And the words I hear them use, words like 'cannibalism', and the way they phrase things...Everything they say is meant to rouse support. But the part about half the dogs already being dead? I find myself recalling the fact that dogs are wild animals first, and domesticated pets second. These dogs will begin acting based on their wild instinct, and most will die, but some may live. Those that live may end up going on to spawn Pulau Ketam's own resident dog population in the future.All I'm saying is, people very easily start behaving like a bunch of 'saviors' to 'rescue' these dogs from having to kill each other, but in reality it's just their survival instincts kicking in.My dad has a friend who plays a big part in this relief effort. have you guys heard the whole story? The entire post in in this thread, and the post in the link, paints the Pulau Ketam islanders as heartless scumbags; nothing is mentioned about what happened leading to this. But you know what the islanders said? They put the dogs there because the government would have 'mercilessly' put the dogs down. This way, they were giving them a chance to survive.See what happened? The activists phrase things in a way so as to gather support by any means necessary, even if it means making the Pulau Ketam islanders the bad guys when in fact, the islanders had their own reasons for doing what they did. And in the end the actual cause of the problem in the first place, which was the rampant overpopulation of stray dogs on the islander's own island will be forgotten.The activists here may be doing good things, but I do not like the way they are doing it. I already see people, like Freelancer, hating the Pulau Ketam islanders because of the way the activists campaign for this. And I do not respect them for that.Tell me, where were these activists when the rampant overpopulation of stray dogs was afflicting Pulau Ketam? The islanders certainly do not have the funds, not the facilities, to control these stary dogs beyond asking the government to catch them and put them down. So, what happenes now? There will be more dogs to replace those that were exiled from Pulau Ketam.What happens then? If these activists are really so 'good-natured', I want them to do something that is more long term, do something to help the Pulau Ketam islanders solve the overpopulation problem which was the reason why they put the dogs there in the first place. Not simply wait until something like this happens and then blame the islanders!
Posted ImageYeager avatar is courtesy of artesLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL is courtesy of whoever it is that draws VGCats

#8 Naoko Kensaku

Naoko Kensaku

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

Wataru: I considered that. I also saw the original news article on this. First of all, I still oppose the act of abandoning the dogs. There is something called "SPAYING AND NEUTERING" which most idiots Malaysians will never consider. If these dogs had been spayed in the first place (and from what I remember, SPCA and other animal shelters will gladly do it for a nominal fee). Spaying and neutering pets have been encouraged and mentioned as an alternative for years. Most of Malaysia's stray pets population can be traced to this. These activists, from what I know, were not informed. In fact, if the animal shelters had stepped in earlier, and those who were involved in the exercise had taken the initiative to do so, we would have never reached this stage at all. As you can see, the activist also said that there had to be a mass sterilisation exercise carried out. I can also (reasonably) guess the reaction of the Pulau Ketam people to THAT SUGGESTION: (this comes from having two dogs, and making the same suggestion to my family)

NO, CANNOT STERILISE THE DOGS! WE WANT THEM TO BE FIERCE, IF STERILISE THEY WILL NO LONGER BE FIERCE THEN FOR WHAT KEEP?

I wish I was joking, but from what I gathered, a lot of dog owners (the ones who adopt mongrels ala the ones like Pulau Ketam) are like that. However, it still does not justify their actions. It would be better to put the dogs down to sleep than to allow them to become rabid and cannibalistic.

#9 wataru

wataru

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:50 AM

You describe what the dogs are doing now as a horrible thing, but let's say that the government did go ahead with their plan. If that happened, the headlines would instead now read "300 Pulau Ketam dogs mercilessly put to sleep!". How is that any better?And yeah, the only other alternative would be mass sterilization because there's no way that animal shelters would be able to take in that may dogs. So, shall we see if we could donate money to foundations like SPCA, PAWS, or any other such foundations so that they will go in and neuter the remaining 1600 dogs on Pulau Ketam?
Posted ImageYeager avatar is courtesy of artesLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL is courtesy of whoever it is that draws VGCats

#10 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:27 AM

2 questions,what can these animal loving organization do to deal with this number of stray dogs on long terms? not to mention the possibility of more similar dogs in the future.is it better for the dogs to survive by themselves? or be taken in to die on human hands?mass sterilisation... funnily, people don't find it cruel to take away one's ability to give birth.cannibalism, how ironic that it is controlling the population of the dogs for us even though some people think it is cruel.as long as the dogs doesn't bother the ecosystem of Pulau Ketam, I don't see any reason of bothering them. Even they are, we don't have other choice but to gun them down.this project is like going to Australia and say "Hey! It's barbaric to kill rabbits! We must save those adorable rabbits and find a shelter for them! Or we can sterillize them so they don't breed so much!"
[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]Night Maiden

#11 wataru

wataru

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:37 PM

[quote name='"Naoko Kensaku"]Cannibalism is actually unhealthy for the human body' date=' I think. I remember reading somewhere that for a human, eating another human will provoke a strong chemical reaction in the body, but I don't know if it's physical or mentally-induced.[/quote']Whatever you read was false. There is no bad chemical reaction or 'allergic' reaction inherent in the act of cannibalism. The human flesh is made of meat, the same as all animals. Whatever 'reaction' you get in this day and age after discovering that you unwittingly ate another human would be mentally induced as a result of our social teachings to abhor the act of cannibalism which, because of how much easier it is to market an idea through such methods, usually stretch the truth to unbelievable proportions. I'm going to spoiler this because this is a long explanation.[spoiler=]The only proven detriment any animal, including humans, could get from cannibalism would be accidentally acquiring certain rare diseases. But in order to get these diseases thing being eaten would have to be diseased in the first place.An example would be...Remember that 'mad cow disease' [aka Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans] that caused quite a scare in the past? You get it by consuming infected brain matter of a cow which had a genetic mutation which caused the generation of an infectious agent known as a 'prion'. A prion is an infectious agent that is not a virus nor a bacteria, but rather a simple protein. Since this is a protein, any meat which carries it can not be safe to consume no matter how well you cook it, because the agent is not a living organism which would die from heat; you'd have to completely break down the protein to sterilize it. This was why it was so scary, any cow which carried that genetic mutation to create prions could pass prions to humans even if you cook it.The same applies to if you committed cannibalism, you could get one of those 'prions' if you consumed someone who had it, but, the person would have had to have one of these prions in the first place, whether by genetic mutation or by consuming infected meat.It is entirely possible that we 'evolved' our society to shrug away from cannibalism because societies that did practice it were susceptible to transmitting these extremely rare diseases which have an extremely limited method of infection, and were thus less likely to expand as much. I only have a basic understanding of anthropology so those who do study it should correct me if I'm using the wrong terms or entirely mistaken on the way societies form and grow.[/spoiler]But in any case, know that all popular myths on the detriments of cannibalism, with the exception of those scientifically proven, are completely false.

#12 Reno-san

Reno-san

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

This is a troublesome issue... either way, the choice of action is sticky. Animal rights need to be taken into consideration but on the other hand, it is hard as some forumers said to handle the number of dogs rescued which now need a place to go... I suppose the organization for the animals has to take this matter into their hands as it is their responsibility in upholding the rights of the said animals. If not them then I don't know who. This would be treated totally differently if it were a matter pertaining humans. Now you wouldn't say some of the things you had said for the dogs, if it were people stranded on the island now would you?Hope the dogs find a good home or at least face a painless death...
I party like clubber,I look like a student,I play when I shouldn't,I F***? No i couldn't...?My blog... Leave a few words if you do visit ;)http://trialsofawhiteguy.blogspot.com/NEW EPIC INTERNET SPEED 8DDDDDDPosted Image

#13 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:05 AM

if human being can give birth to 4-6 children per year, reach puberty within 2 years and have a lifespan of 10-13 years, I don't know about the others, but I will still say the very same thing.
[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]Night Maiden

#14 Naoko Kensaku

Naoko Kensaku

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

OOT: I completely disagree with Reno. I agree that some people should be sterilised. However, these sterilisations are usually reversible, so I don't know how it will apply here unless someone wants to find a way to do the same for dogs. Wataru: You start it, I'll promote and donate to it. Approach the shelters and see what they say. You'd have a better chance if you talk to the vets though, but from what I understand, most vets in Malaysia are in it for the money. If you can convince a few of them (or even just one) to lend his/her services for free or a nominal fee, it would go a long way to helping. Sterilisation isn't cheap, and from what I know, it's usually caused by vets who are too greedy.

#15 Reno-san

Reno-san

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

OOT: I completely disagree with Reno. I agree that some people should be sterilised. However, these sterilisations are usually reversible, so I don't know how it will apply here unless someone wants to find a way to do the same for dogs. Wataru: You start it, I'll promote and donate to it. Approach the shelters and see what they say. You'd have a better chance if you talk to the vets though, but from what I understand, most vets in Malaysia are in it for the money. If you can convince a few of them (or even just one) to lend his/her services for free or a nominal fee, it would go a long way to helping. Sterilisation isn't cheap, and from what I know, it's usually caused by vets who are too greedy.

You're free to disagree with me no problem :D I was just giving my say as you are on this issue.However, I wasn't refering to the steralization bit... more to the dogs starting to eat each other partsorry i didn't specify earlier... and the bit about them being standed without shelter and food.I think no person or animal should be forced into canabalism... goodness... I know they are animalsbut I mean come on... eating each other? It sounds disturbing for me and I'll give whatever support I can.Unfortunately as you all have mentioned, there's not much we can do for them.
I party like clubber,I look like a student,I play when I shouldn't,I F***? No i couldn't...?My blog... Leave a few words if you do visit ;)http://trialsofawhiteguy.blogspot.com/NEW EPIC INTERNET SPEED 8DDDDDDPosted Image

#16 wataru

wataru

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

You're free to disagree with me no problem ;) I was just giving my say as you are on this issue. However, I wasn't refering to the steralization bit... more to the dogs starting to eat each other partsorry i didn't specify earlier... and the bit about them being standed without shelter and food.I think no person or animal should be forced into canabalism... goodness... I know they are animalsbut I mean come on... eating each other? It sounds disturbing for me and I'll give whatever support I can.Unfortunately as you all have mentioned, there's not much we can do for them.

They aren't being forced into cannibalism. They're doing it by themselves. It's easier to scavenge food from a dead body than to go hunting; and seeing as it's currently a plentiful food source they're going to make the most of it. It only seems disgusting to most people because modern humans, such as yourself, have been conditioned to associate the act of 'cannibalism' as something disgusting and evil.Did you know that animals in the wild still cannibalize each other? Furthermore, did you know that there are tribes of humans that still do too?Naoko>> Unfortunately I've just started my short semester and I'm currently studying under 2 very very brilliant, but serious, lecturers. I'm gonna be swamped with my main assignments so I won't be able to devote enough time to such a venture.

#17 Naoko Kensaku

Naoko Kensaku

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1212 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Wataru, fair enough. What say you we promote the cause and try to raise awareness? Cannibalism is actually unhealthy for the human body, I think. I remember reading somewhere that for a human, eating another human will provoke a strong chemical reaction in the body, but I don't know if it's physical or mentally-induced.