Photo

Gempak is losing its Gempak-ness?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#31 mamoru_sama

mamoru_sama

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5021 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

i did not said i support gempak wholly...but i do start wif gempak to be honest.so what i'm saying here the old gempak is far better than the latest. nowadays i'm rarely buy gempak.juz read when my imouto buy it. haha

well...that what this thread mean~we miss the old GEMPAK~
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageMode:Blur~too much thing @_@Yahoo:ONMSN:ON

#32 mamoru_sama

mamoru_sama

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5021 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

nah~its about business...of course there prority will goes for creating money......but for giving our bad service...it just go too wrong~but i still salute kreko and magazine parthner go giving our best^^~

#33 destructorv1

destructorv1

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

what i heard from my friend who knows someone who works there, is that they are just thinking of money.

#34 Nushi_no_hitobashira

Nushi_no_hitobashira

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

I have to agree with others. I used to buy gempak or starz as they were really exciting and the artists that I like were still there.. The new artists are not really that admirable to me. Gempak isn't Gempak anymore
Posted Image

#35 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

mamoru_chan>>yeah man...it's bussiness totally...n i felt dissapointed to know da truth *sobbing*well,same wif u,i still read kreko though... even though da show-off part are getting lousier than ever!

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Curecos: 184069

Blog

#36 mamoru_sama

mamoru_sama

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5021 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

i think we only can make somewhere place as a grave"MEMORY OF WHERE THE OLD GEMPAK LIES HERE"(idea get from spongebob)and came here when missing old gempak

#37 OneWinged

OneWinged

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

IMO, Gempak need to have more variety of comic genre in it. From what I read in Gempak, it's all fantasy, adventure, action, school life, comedy, horror, comedy, comedy, repeat....Need angst, mystery(like conan), historical and harem boys! XD
my sephy got objected by Edgey~~~Posted ImageDeviantart- DreamTeam - LifeJournal

#38 mamoru_sama

mamoru_sama

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5021 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:31 AM

even with that.....the fact old gempak already gone cannot be change

#39 Heaven Devil

Heaven Devil

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7444 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:10 AM

quit gempak fer so long..how is it nao? =X
Traum bleiben als Traum,es wird nur ein Traum,es sei denn,es kann Wirklichkeit werden~*when there's no more area for spammers to survive**spammers can rest~ XD*

#40 destructorv1

destructorv1

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

quit gempak fer so long..how is it nao? =X

no idea, nowadays when i touch gempak in the bookstore i just flip around, and... i can't tell. not cos i flip it around. but nothing lures me in anymore.

#41 SweepingButler92

SweepingButler92

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

i still read it...but not dat often...it kinda sucks u know -__- the drawing...i'd give 1 star and below...the whole mag...i'd like to burn it...
looking cool does have it's drawbacks...Posted Image[spoiler=Cosplay Plans]~Hayate Ayasaki (HnG) 90%~Allen Walker(D.GM)~Edward Elric (FMA)[/spoiler]: Blog : : FB :

#42 MoonRomance

MoonRomance

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

Lol is it that bad? never bought gempak before so i dun know. What's the difference between old and the new gempak anyway? Maybe I'll just grap one in the magazine shop just to read it..
Posted Image

#43 TheRotijohnster

TheRotijohnster

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

I think the good /informed comic artists are hesitant to submit to gempak.This is because:A) Other mags and publications like G3 , Komikoo , PTS do not take the artists rights( although they would love to, I'm sure - but see , artists are getting smarter:). This means they pay the artist for using their work in their publications for a fixed time, and after a while the artist can reprint the comic wherever and with whomever they like and profit from them multiple times.. Artist happy. Publishers happy.Fair-fair.Gempak and its related publications to my understanding, pay the artist ONCE. And then the work, idea, characters is theirs to print, market, exploit for profit for ever and ever and ever. I'm not saying that Gempak is evil, however this mode of operating is becoming more outdated as artists are recognizing their rights as creators and the value of their talent and good ideas.If I was an artist and had an story/art/characters that really rocked , I would LOVE to see my work featured in Gempak. I know that it has great distribution and lots of people would get to read it. The magazine is liked well enough and promoted very well.BUT. Gempak would pay me ONCE for my comic, per page.And thats it. And they would profit MANY MANY MANY times , using that content again and again eg. serializations turned into novels, online comics, mobile comics ENGLISH novels, online comics, moble comics, MANDARIN online comics, moble comics.....you get the idea. I hope.This may create a feeling, in my opinion, that the artists are viewed as factory workers who create a 'product'. Or : A feeling of being exploited. It doesnt have to be this way. Of course the publishers need profit to keep running. Well, so do the artists. A more balanced approach , letting the artist retain his/her rights and the option to negotiate.....would make gempak more gempak.So why would an artist choose to work for Gempak despite the above? 1)exposure to a wide readership/promotionGempak has great promotional activities and visibility. That rubs off on to the artists who appear in the mag. But they cant take their works with them once they leave gempak. Look at what happened to Ben. They cant publish or sell those comics or try them out for overseas publication. So if I was a total noobie artist just wanting to break into the biz or see my name in print, OR the idea is a one-shot that you dont really see going anywhere , but you want people to know your name, this is a good reason. 2)MoneyNot a good reason, because last time I checked, the page rates were about the same with other mags. BUT the other mags let you keep your creator rights! So...go figure3) I only draw Shojo/'Manga' etc etcTrue, Gempak is haven for those who draw in the above styles....but...I think this could be a reason why Style triumphs over substance in Gempak. They want to appeal to manga fans forgetting that its good stories more than style that creates the passion for manga. And just because you can draw one million strands of hair effortlessly and good looking hunks/cute chibis/babes, it doesn't necessarily mean you're a good storyteller.B) Besides this , Gempak has gained somewhat of a reputation of visually editing/changing the essence of the artists works without informing them. This , my friends, is a big boo-boo. Now, editing is an important part of making a mag readable. However, one the artist has been PAID for the work, he would assume the EDITOR is already happy with the work.If the editor wants to make changes, he either asks the artist to do it OR asks the artists if it is okay to do so and SHOW him the work for approval before it gets published.This ' We Paid For it So We Can Do Whatever We Want With It" ( if thats how it is precieved) is very off-putting and wrong. THAT SAID the artists who are on Gempaks payroll are part of a professional organisation. And gempak does its very best to promote its artists as fore-runners on the frontier of Malaysian comic art ( going so far as to say that Koaru was the first female artist in malaysia to draw in manga style - KLUE ). They go to international events and I'm sure one can survive comfortably as a fulltime artist there...if they can come up with ideas to constantly give away. So in the end it all boils down to what you think.Artist rights? Whats that?...makan gaji doing what I love,/pocket money +fame ok what?ormy ideas and my talent are my assets, and no one has a right to take them away from, unless I choose to do so in a fair and satisfactory mannerI think the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

#44 SweepingButler92

SweepingButler92

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

Moon >> yeah u should moon~san...then u'll see how it realy sucks... .__.
looking cool does have it's drawbacks...Posted Image[spoiler=Cosplay Plans]~Hayate Ayasaki (HnG) 90%~Allen Walker(D.GM)~Edward Elric (FMA)[/spoiler]: Blog : : FB :

#45 MoonRomance

MoonRomance

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

Lol seems like Gempak has really looses its popularity somehow.
Posted Image

#46 iwashi-kun

iwashi-kun

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

I haven't bought gempak since...uh...about 3 to 4 years now. The comics kinda got boring (in my opinion). And i noticed that in the older comics, they liked to make the ending rather...sad. Like Jinggo. (but not all of course) And to be honest i wasn't comfortable with the way ACG Nation translated the Japanese mangas..a lot of words i didn't understand ^^;

#47 nova

nova

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1060 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

[quote name='"iwashi-kun"]I haven't bought gempak since...uh...about 3 to 4 years now. The comics kinda got boring (in my opinion). And i noticed that in the older comics' date=' they liked to make the ending rather...sad. Like Jinggo. (but not all of course) And to be honest i wasn't comfortable with the way ACG Nation translated the Japanese mangas..a lot of words i didn't understand ^^;[/quote']i agree, i also haven't bought any gempak for past....5 years or so.... stop my subscription a long time ago.i remember what attracted me to buy gempak was some unique doujin like jinggo...and that uber dark horse style puppeteer comic (if i can recall)....hope gempak can come up with some sort of strategy to shine like those early years of its publication. ^_^

#48 destructorv1

destructorv1

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

i think they gotta add more comic stuff. flipping the mag and i just got "features" and "check out this movie" and "check out this game". i forgot that i am reading a comic magazine. flipped back and this is what happen when i didnt pay attention to gempak, i didnt know certain comic artist just made their debut there. i also hope gempak is reading this. no not this comment (cos its gonna get flamed, lol) but other comments that has already said stuff bout gempak.

#49 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

yeah~for someone like me who rarely play games n watch movie, i kinda hate da contents.comics are all boring n sucks...i couldn't get any inspiration at all...like destructorv said...gempak should read tis so they can improve their publishment.seriously...==

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Blog

#50 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

mamoru-chan>>ya...totally took my breath away...en...one more thing...are the qualities of the contestant in peraduan bakat baru good enough to be published?i mean...sum of them are gud though...

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Blog

#51 iwashi-kun

iwashi-kun

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

I think the good /informed comic artists are hesitant to submit to gempak.This is because:A) Other mags and publications like G3 , Komikoo , PTS do not take the artists rights( although they would love to, I'm sure - but see , artists are getting smarter:). This means they pay the artist for using their work in their publications for a fixed time, and after a while the artist can reprint the comic wherever and with whomever they like and profit from them multiple times.. Artist happy. Publishers happy.Fair-fair.Gempak and its related publications to my understanding, pay the artist ONCE. And then the work, idea, characters is theirs to print, market, exploit for profit for ever and ever and ever. I'm not saying that Gempak is evil, however this mode of operating is becoming more outdated as artists are recognizing their rights as creators and the value of their talent and good ideas.If I was an artist and had an story/art/characters that really rocked , I would LOVE to see my work featured in Gempak. I know that it has great distribution and lots of people would get to read it. The magazine is liked well enough and promoted very well.BUT. Gempak would pay me ONCE for my comic, per page.And thats it. And they would profit MANY MANY MANY times , using that content again and again eg. serializations turned into novels, online comics, mobile comics ENGLISH novels, online comics, moble comics, MANDARIN online comics, moble comics.....you get the idea. I hope.This may create a feeling, in my opinion, that the artists are viewed as factory workers who create a 'product'. Or : A feeling of being exploited. It doesnt have to be this way. Of course the publishers need profit to keep running. Well, so do the artists. A more balanced approach , letting the artist retain his/her rights and the option to negotiate.....would make gempak more gempak.So why would an artist choose to work for Gempak despite the above? 1)exposure to a wide readership/promotionGempak has great promotional activities and visibility. That rubs off on to the artists who appear in the mag. But they cant take their works with them once they leave gempak. Look at what happened to Ben. They cant publish or sell those comics or try them out for overseas publication. So if I was a total noobie artist just wanting to break into the biz or see my name in print, OR the idea is a one-shot that you dont really see going anywhere , but you want people to know your name, this is a good reason. 2)MoneyNot a good reason, because last time I checked, the page rates were about the same with other mags. BUT the other mags let you keep your creator rights! So...go figure3) I only draw Shojo/'Manga' etc etcTrue, Gempak is haven for those who draw in the above styles....but...I think this could be a reason why Style triumphs over substance in Gempak. They want to appeal to manga fans forgetting that its good stories more than style that creates the passion for manga. And just because you can draw one million strands of hair effortlessly and good looking hunks/cute chibis/babes, it doesn't necessarily mean you're a good storyteller.B) Besides this , Gempak has gained somewhat of a reputation of visually editing/changing the essence of the artists works without informing them. This , my friends, is a big boo-boo. Now, editing is an important part of making a mag readable. However, one the artist has been PAID for the work, he would assume the EDITOR is already happy with the work.If the editor wants to make changes, he either asks the artist to do it OR asks the artists if it is okay to do so and SHOW him the work for approval before it gets published.This ' We Paid For it So We Can Do Whatever We Want With It" ( if thats how it is precieved) is very off-putting and wrong. THAT SAID the artists who are on Gempaks payroll are part of a professional organisation. And gempak does its very best to promote its artists as fore-runners on the frontier of Malaysian comic art ( going so far as to say that Koaru was the first female artist in malaysia to draw in manga style - KLUE ). They go to international events and I'm sure one can survive comfortably as a fulltime artist there...if they can come up with ideas to constantly give away. So in the end it all boils down to what you think.Artist rights? Whats that?...makan gaji doing what I love,/pocket money +fame ok what?ormy ideas and my talent are my assets, and no one has a right to take them away from, unless I choose to do so in a fair and satisfactory mannerI think the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

ah, I've heard about this a lot of times, in which although being paid (gravely insufficiently, as i've heard) for the works, they don't own their artworks. :) all those hard work and creative process, and you still can't own them.

#52 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

"=o0 *shocked* is it true? *gasped*

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Blog

#53 mamoru_sama

mamoru_sama

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5021 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Natsu>>yup...whyu dont percaya aaa????

#54 SweepingButler92

SweepingButler92

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

natsu-pi >> yeah i agree...gud..but cant own what they created...stupids... -__-

#55 vivian

vivian

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9926 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

now not worth to buy gempak at all

#56 iwashi-kun

iwashi-kun

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

"=o0 *shocked* is it true? *gasped*

yes, actually i heard some artists left because of this reason. Copyright issues, very sensitive ne. It'll be weird to create something but you can't call it your own creation. @_@

#57 neu

neu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Either they lose the gempak-ness or not... They all do their best... respect them....

#58 vivian

vivian

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9926 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

true neuro, i do still adore kaoru and ben's product, as well as keith and some others

#59 neu

neu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

I just adore Kaoru n Zint... Ben? For some reason, NOT~

#60 vivian

vivian

Lifeless CFer

• Members