Photo

Gempak is losing its Gempak-ness?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#61 neu

neu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

[quote name='"vivian"]ben seems to have inking problem...lolz' date='and seems like he didnt notice it[/quote']No... Not bcoz of that... Some other... No... I should not mention it here... A personal reason that I didn't like him...

#62 flame13th

flame13th

Time Lord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Meh.. Gempak isn't what it use to be like the old days.Nowadays, most of the cartoonist are simply take some ideas from other comic which pissed me off. I was like, 'Hey, I read this joke once.' Like when I read Lawak Kampus and realized some of its jokes are a rip-off from Azumanga Daioh. Pfeh!I'm not into Kaoru's style of drawing. It's not hate... Hate is such a strong word. I simply dislike her way of drawing. Zint is somewhat like to draw sometime serious sometimes cartoonish but the storyline and concept still the same which made me bored.I guess there aren't many cartoonist who is like Totoro.

"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful."

tmurd8ii4.png

#63 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Meh.. Gempak isn't what it use to be like the old days.Nowadays, most of the cartoonist are simply take some ideas from other comic which pissed me off. I was like, 'Hey, I read this joke once.' Like when I read Lawak Kampus and realized some of its jokes are a rip-off from Azumanga Daioh. Pfeh!I'm not into Kaoru's style of drawing. It's not hate... Hate is such a strong word. I simply dislike her way of drawing. Zint is somewhat like to draw sometime serious sometimes cartoonish but the storyline and concept still the same which made me bored.I guess there aren't many cartoonist who is like Totoro.

totally agree!i'm also not into kaoru. her drawing...emm..a bit numb (?). idea? i dunno. maybe true (actually haven't read azumanga daioh...hehe). it became lame from day to day. zint likes to use a same theme: fighting. it's good but sometimes it popped in every his artwork which made me yawned...i like his comedy though. ^_^ totoro's 'begitu indah' is so unique. guess he's a bit different. haha. why i haven't heard of him nowadays?

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Curecos: 184069

Blog

#64 neu

neu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

And you all keep flaming on Malaysian Cartoonists... I wanna see how readers react on your OWN comic if you make one... Pffftttt~~Stop flaming on them and giv em support! They're better than those who dun know how to respect people's HARDWORK~At least they're trying their best... rather than posting flame here and doing nothing....

#65 flame13th

flame13th

Time Lord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hey, I respect several local cartoonist such as Lat, the late Pak Jab (Rejabhab), Jaafar Taib, Aie, Gayour, Totoro and many more but I love them for having some originality in their artwork not to mention people like Lat, Pak Jab and Jaafar Taib for having many morale values inside their works. They have their own style. I even encountered some people outside of Malaysia that thought the comic that is drawn by the new local cartoonist as a comic from Japan which had been translated into Bahasa. I support local cartoonist as I bought many comic books from Aie, Pak Jab, Kerengge, Lat, Jaafar Taib not to mention Cik Li. I have many of the books if you said there aren't people supporting the local cartoonist. Why must you claim that people aren't supporting the local cartoonist because they simply voiced out their opinions and dissatisfaction regarding the cartoonist? Do you want to just pampered the local cartoonist with good things without letting them to evolve even further with some comments or opinions for other people.Sadly, there aren't many new local cartoonist that are following the footsteps of the great local cartoonist such as Lat, Pak Jab or Jafaar Taib. They only draw based on the style of American or Japanese. And sometimes there are some cartoonist that are 'syok sendiri'. Only want to draw what they want and feel like it and have no morale value. Take Nud's for an example, he draw things based on the current issue thus making him an avid reader and want to teach a thing or two to the readers about the world.

"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful."

tmurd8ii4.png

#66 neu

neu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Ok ok ok... Gud to hear your opinion... Same as mine...

#67 destructorv1

destructorv1

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

[quote name='"Neuro"][quote="vivian"]ben seems to have inking problem...lolz' date='and seems like he didnt notice it[/quote']No... Not bcoz of that... Some other... No... I should not mention it here... A personal reason that I didn't like him...[/quote]Well.. i too have some stuff bout him, but its just me. But people have different reasons. so... yeah.I usually act neutral when it comes to comics (well cos i do a webcomic), cos... you gotta love each other. XD. this ain't like Bakuman where you wanna kill the other guy's manga. lolz, just kidding (send hate mail here)

#68 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

ya ya...i still share same opinion with flame13. i happenend to read Malaysian cartoonist artworks b4 reading or watching anime. it's not like i hate ben or zint or kaoru. i love em! plus i got a few of their collections. it juz dat their drawing sometimes turned out to be too different or messy, people gone bored. i like kaoru's old drwaing. so cute and tidy.besides, i will always support malaysian cartoonists. they still the one who influenced me to draw (though i do manga style...=v=").

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Blog

#69 OneWinged

OneWinged

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Same here, I first read comic due to Ageha in the old Mingguan Kanak- Kanak Mag, later switch to Gila-Gila, Ujang & landed to Gempak before manga & graphic novel totally dominates my choice of comics. still read local comics occasionally, but saddened for lack of researchable interesting material in them.
my sephy got objected by Edgey~~~Posted ImageDeviantart- DreamTeam - LifeJournal

#70 flame13th

flame13th

Time Lord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

The old comic that were done by the local cartoonists were so 18SG and 18SX.

tmurd8ii4.png

#71 destructorv1

destructorv1

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

...and you know what... i'll want that to come back, cos now we got the "horror" genre only shown in gempak. why.... i mean there are just too much of it.

#72 Mi-yue

Mi-yue

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

Was just randomly looking around and saw this thread which caught my attention. I noticed certain posts (eg by Flame13th) that talks about Malaysian emulating the Japanese/ American style of drawing. Just to give my two cents worth:Its true that I personally think gempak is losing its gempakness. I don't really see the point of buying gempak anymore actually, and I do agree some of the comics have turned rather boring. I also agree that some of the comics seems to be ripped off other mangas (or perhaps "inspired") For example, I noticed some mangas by Kaoru have some themes that are from other animes (like one of the story in Daisuki on a rich boy and a poor boy exchanging bodies and the jokes were about how the rich boy was so fascinated with "tinned foods" etc Sound very much like ouran, no?)Secondly I don't agree with flame13th's view that Malaysian don't have their own style and so on and so forth. I don't think any Malaysian drawing in Manga style should be condemned cos it doesn't seem Malaysian enough. The reason why we artists draw is because we enjoy drawing and it so happens manga has been one of the things that influences us. I was inspired by comics like Sailormoon, and I enjoy drawing in manga styles and seeing my artworks turn out the way I would like to see it in comic books. Its a joy to me. The fact I'm Malaysian doesn't change anything.It doesn't mean I have to start changing my style to show how Malaysian I am. Personally, There are other ways to promote Malaysia. I do agree to some extent, artists nowadays use a lot of Japanese reference, like ramen, kimono etc. In that sense, a good way to promote Malaysian culture is through our mangas. Local culture could be used in this instance (which is why I respect Zint, he still have all those Malaysian jokes you don't really see in other countries haha) Emulating a "Japanese-inspired" style isn't the issue. Its like hearing Chinese people rapping. The issue, is showing and promoting "Malaysianness" in any and every form.A really good example of a Malaysian artist that made a name for herself worldwide is of course, Kidchan. Her art is that of manga, but she enjoys what she does and other people enjoys what she does as well, so she's known globally (I don't think Lat is as known although I do agree he's great). Malaysia is no longer known as that old kampung place, but a place that is developing, creating awareness in other countries.Its really sad to know gempak doesn't help with artists' copyrights. I honestly think Malaysians have the potential to really make it but the way we do things here aren't really helping. Or maybe I'm just ignorant. I was reading Bakuman, and seeing how manga is made and produced in Japan makes you really think and wonder how come Malaysians can't create mangas that are a cult favorite like Naruto? I don't think race or nationalities matters or not, if you got a good story, and a good style suited for it, it should be popular. So that's something I don't really understand. Most good artists opt for opening booths in anime expos and self publishing works. Why can't we just publish them locally? Something like a Shonen Jump Malaysian style? Or am I being immature in suggesting this?

#73 evilkuro_yuki

evilkuro_yuki

Senior CFer

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

but mostly ppl nowdays love to read comic that got japan style than malaysia. we can blame these all to them. but i really dont like the cartoonist who draw story from a movie and change it (coz sometimes he/she seem like insulting the main character from that movie). for example, there once death note movie out. the cartoonist redraw the story. raito seem like a stupid person in that story. i really sad and angry about this coz raito my fav character.
Cosplay CF Plan : Ciel Phantomhive 1st n 2nd day, Flippy - Happy Tree Friends 1st day, Kagamine Len - Love is War Photoshoot, Hirano Kohta- Highschool of The Dead Photoshoot, Natsume Takashi Houdzuki version 2nd day
[WTS] Cosplay Costume Tailoring

#74 iwashi-kun

iwashi-kun

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

...actually, i think lat is more well known, although i wouldn't want to compare both the artists. He even got an award in Japan. And it's great that his drawings preserve the Kampung feel and stories in the cities (like Mat Som) actually reflect the feel of Malaysia. Yes i agree the issue is of "emulating styles" it's normal to be inspired by an art style.Anyway, I hope Gempak and other local manga magazines will buck up so that they won't lose their readers, although i don't read them anymore. :D

#75 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

if gempak and most Malaysian manga artists able to take the audience seriously, treating them as people who like awesome anime manga story instead of anime manga suckers, this thread wouldn't even exist.heck, the audience should also get a hold on themselves, instead of blindly love any junk that the artists ditch out. Stop with the sympathetic thing, it won't help the already shitty thing to become something better.last thing of all, about Raito from Death Note, he just need the very same lesson taught to Suguru Teshigawara by Onizuka instead of a shinigami, end of story.Mi-yue<< you can refer to tension academy on DA (link: tensionacademy.deviantart.com), they are doing the Shounen Jump thing that you have mentionedNeuro<< that's the main problem with most artists today, they don't accept other people criticize them unless they have better drawing skill, but wait a minute, what does drawing skills have to do with reading anyway?
[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]Night Maiden

#76 LaMarionette33

LaMarionette33

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

well the old gempak comic has their own style..

#77 Touda

Touda

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

I agree. 2 years ago I started to read GEMPAK. About sometimes during last year, I slowed down with it since it's not as interesting as it was. Now, I don't buy it anymore (unless it's Gempak Starz manga productions).
deviantART | YouTube | tensionACADEMY Official Website2010 Cosplay Plans[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]

#78 Mi-yue

Mi-yue

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

Basically it all boils down to story problem ne? It seems art style is not the problem or anything, but it all comes down to whether we enjoy the story and its true, that's the problem with Gempak, they can no longer keep their readers interested.That's sad. Gempak was one of the symbolism of manga in the past, for local comics. So its sad to see many here raising their hands together in saying that gempak lost its gempakness.I prefer to read a comic that's visually attractive as well, that is suitable with the story. I mean, you can't have all good stories but bad art skills will definitely kill your narration. hellangel> Thanks so much for the link! haha. Really appreciate it.

#79 flame13th

flame13th

Time Lord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 580 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

They only 'syok sendiri' when drawing.

tmurd8ii4.png

#80 masquevale

masquevale

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

I've met Slaium, current minimum standard to sent artwork is pretty high. My opinion Work should be better than previous first prize winners of BBKM. and I say what O_O! Its no different like winning the contest itself. Still winning work is sure sale. As a company ArtSquare did close Starz and Startalk cope with economy downturn.Gempak In-house is considered Employee of a company. And they have more than enough to fil the magazine. As company laws in Malaysia, you cannot just fire and employee. The Court/lawyer bill is expensive even for Artsquare for publication is bad for company image.Komikoo is dead, because of its image?Then again I don't think its all bad. because of it PCmaniac, Seng Hui, Scho provide good stuff.

#81 DinJerr

DinJerr

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

I think that's far from the truth. In fact IMHO it's the opposite; they can't draw what they like, and have to draw what the market likes. It's how the ArtSquare has survived all this while as compared to say, Komikoo who cater only to niche readers.Even the though I love the thing, if I see yet another GothLoli reference in Gempak/Utopia, I'm gonna cringe. :? Isn't it high-time for something else already?

#82 masquevale

masquevale

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:11 AM

I think that's far from the truth. In fact IMHO it's the opposite; they can't draw what they like, and have to draw what the market likes. It's how the ArtSquare has survived all this while as compared to say, Komikoo who cater only to niche readers.Even the though I love the thing, if I see yet another GothLoli reference in Gempak/Utopia, I'm gonna cringe. :? Isn't it high-time for something else already?

emailed Slaium my latest work last week and got rejected again. TT_TTAction, Romance, Horror and Comedy is genre that can be easily fill by in-house artist. Making comic/genre in these genre has to be really awesome or greatPosted Image I made this last year(inspired by Strike witches). The review "Its Nice". So I'm staying away from Action/typical genre for now. The genre is simply too packed for me to enter. -__-

#83 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

Action, Romance, Horror and Comedy is genre that can be easily fill by in-house artist. Making comic/genre in these genre has to be really awesome or great

judging from what people been complaining here, all you have to do is draw adorable figures that everyone like to get in.

#84 masquevale

masquevale

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

Action, Romance, Horror and Comedy is genre that can be easily fill by in-house artist. Making comic/genre in these genre has to be really awesome or great

judging from what people been complaining here, all you have to do is draw adorable figures that everyone like to get in.

Like I said before making in those genre has to be really awesome or great. Its not impossible. It'll takes time like months to year to improve my skills in making action comic. But in the mean time I'll try something else. -__-adorable figures? That's one of the requirements.

#85 Airin

Airin

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

masquevale> Sorry but if that comic of yours would be publish in Gempak, my reaction and comment wil be "What the- Strike Witches? So not original. Not gonna read it meh" Awesome artwork but still originality is the most important thing... to me.Gempak.. now... I was a fan of Kaoru but not anymore... Typical... The 1st impression I get from looking at her latest series is "lolwut? Aisaka Taiga look-alike loli flat-chested tsundere? kthxbai"Urgh---I only read lawak kampus. That's it. Fullstop.Oh and I don't buy it. I read my friend's mags.

(。・ω・。)ノョ━ロ━シ━ク━━♪2007091401.gif

#86 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

masquevale>> u got some hot stuff up there. but i dunno if i'll read it coz i'm not so into a packed comic.irtea>>same here. kaoru's artwork became more typical...i used to like her but now...un...might need sumtime to think bout it

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Blog

#87 masquevale

masquevale

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

masquevale> Sorry but if that comic of yours would be publish in Gempak, my reaction and comment wil be "What the- Strike Witches? So not original. Not gonna read it meh" Awesome artwork but still originality is the most important thing... to me.Gempak.. now... I was a fan of Kaoru but not anymore... Typical... The 1st impression I get from looking at her latest series is "lolwut? Aisaka Taiga look-alike loli flat-chested tsundere? kthxbai"Urgh---I only read lawak kampus. That's it. Fullstop.Oh and I don't buy it. I read my friend's mags.

Well I'm a fan of mecha musume in 2008(Strike Witches and Skygirls). But I prefer Skygirls because its animated by JC. Staff compare to Strike Witches by Gonzo(Plus, I felt ill watching to much panties. *_* )Posted ImageI was "statistical" on that work, cross-reference with what's hot and happening. I scared of taking risk. ^^;

masquevale>> u got some hot stuff up there. but i dunno if i'll read it coz i'm not so into a packed comic.irtea>>same here. kaoru's artwork became more typical...i used to like her but now...un...might need sumtime to think bout it

Well Slaium advice me not to do more than 6pages. Do best in 6 pages. To ensure When I able to do more than 6pages(8/12pages) I'll be able to keep the quality high as 6pages(Not letting myself spreading thin, example Fatal Chaos and Helios Eclipse)-> me something to sayMe as an artist wants drawing to be easy. Me as a reader wants to read a great comic/manga. Taking things easy isn't going to make it great. Plus better stuff can be founded online and I can't do any less. -__-PS: "Morning International Comic Competition" I still searching for a storyMAKER!!!. You don't have to be a writer, just full with ideas.

#88 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:09 AM

6 pages isn't going to help in detailed story, it's a tool for creating annoying cliffhanging tease to subtly ask people to buy the next issue.also it is an insurance that if your part didn't sell well, they won't lost that much profitthere are times when shorter story is better and there are times when longer story matters.

#89 masquevale

masquevale

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

6 pages isn't going to help in detailed story, it's a tool for creating annoying cliffhanging tease to subtly ask people to buy the next issue.also it is an insurance that if your part didn't sell well, they won't lost that much profitthere are times when shorter story is better and there are times when longer story matters.

Like Einstein said, its relative. http://yuumei.devian...W0RDS-126831037 I wonder if this comic can fit 6pages. What do you think?Well they are running a business. One Academy is making business in education. The Star is doing business in Newspaper. Selling vegetables at market is also a business.Still good comic sell, bad comic don't. For artist they shouldn't worry about business too much. Just focus on making good comic. Unless the comic about business like the Trump The Apprentice then yes. :)That mighty be true for a writing. Still like in Essay examination, they limit it to 350words. Both long story and short can exist within the limits. But comic isn't an elementary art like Painting and Literature. Its a mixture/combination/ a composite material like carbon and steel and fiberglass in a supercar.A good comic excel in every aspect. Story, Visual and the glue sticking those two called storytelling. Ever wonder what gives American, India, Hongkong, Japanese their feeling of uniqueness? Its "Storytelling"To know what I saying watch Hongkong's "Infernal Affair" and American adaptation "The Departed". Both has the the same story, but what makes it a differences is what I stated before. :D

#90 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:28 AM

yes, this comic can be made to fit into 6 pages, however, it won't give as much impact as the original 56 pages. The whole story will feel short and rushed.like Essays, you are given the freedom of perfecting a 350 words novel prologue or epilogue, why limit yourself to cramp the whole novel into a 350 words synopsis? the outcome difference is very clear.it is true that artist should concentrate only on their art part, but when they have to feed themselves with it, it's a whole different story.because comic is a combination of both skills of different region, it is hard to balance and perfect. It's way harder to produce the comic of your ideal, though it is not impossible.