Photo

Gempak is losing its Gempak-ness?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#91 masquevale

masquevale

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:52 PM

350words of a complete story. Its not limiting oneself, but "Filling" the Limit itself. Because we in a "Limited" world but that doesn't mean there's no Freedom. "Freedom" is all about mastering the "Limitation"Feeding yourself? Shouldn't there other ways to do that? Like farming for example. Plant crops, eat the crops and one lives. In what sense do one need to make a comic to feed them?Comic is just one of the many things created as foods for the mind and that's it. Making a comic to simply feed themselves is so weird. Someone before stated "Cliffhanger" and stuff simply to make reader buy the next issues and then said to feed themselves out of it. Er ...what o_O?

#92 xen -v- gk

xen -v- gk

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

I missed those monster/mindfock comic from Cicak, usually found as the last comic in the magazine.They are awesome.
Posted ImageI am a Gakuen Kino the Anime believer

#93 kirin

kirin

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:24 PM

-delete post cuz my un was abused by my bro-

#94 julian_ex

julian_ex

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:35 AM

>>>masquevalemalaysian need originality but still hang to japan culture, if not, we would be consider as 100% copycat.we need to think different, coz we malaysian not japanese. Let it bad or worst, but we try to be original>>>kirinat least those two got originality in their artwork and color style. it's hard to get malay mangaka and from sabahxan also compete in nescaf kickstart, and almost win, if her opponent ain't for recycle, she will win for sure.Malaysia juz got in the world of manga and animation, I'm sure they will move forward and improve
Posted ImageThey still lucky coz they immune

#95 karasu

karasu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

I miss puyuh too. XD. haha hasn;t been reading gempak for many years. maybe i should pick up a copy and see what;s up.

#96 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

ya...what's going on? this 1st may issues they put back the redeem coupon form and the items getting worse! they only offer groggy hat for 30 coupons and a couple of graphic novels for 25 coupons. WTH?! it's not even worth it! offer some good prizes la if they really want to appreciate their fans for buying so much comics from them. wth wif those cheap prizes? the previous items are even better coz some of them cannot be bought anywhere...i'm getting disappointed wif gempakstarz...

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Curecos: 184069

Blog

#97 destructorv1

destructorv1

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

How i usually read Gempak goes like this.- Take gempak from a magazine store- turn it behind and peek at the figurine highlights for just 10 seconds- put it backSorry... but its the truth. I have no mood to read any of their stories these days. Kirin up there already says it all. buck it up guys! Just cos gempak is the most popular of the comic mags, doesn't mean you can just slack it off.Gempak... you... are ... Overrated!

#98 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

*nodsnods*agree wif both kirin n destructov. it just so lame thinking how the characters are repeated in a same style after all. i kinda tired seeing the same face-alike chara. it never changed!yeah...overrated...

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Blog

#99 jigokutenshi

jigokutenshi

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

ya...what's going on? this 1st may issues they put back the redeem coupon form and the items getting worse! they only offer groggy hat for 30 coupons and a couple of graphic novels for 25 coupons. WTH?! it's not even worth it! offer some good prizes la if they really want to appreciate their fans for buying so much comics from them. wth wif those cheap prizes? the previous items are even better coz some of them cannot be bought anywhere...i'm getting disappointed wif gempakstarz...

it sound more like they are desperately trying to lure the readers back by using those little prizes.
Posted Image

#100 Natsu-Pi

Natsu-Pi

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

yeah...way to little i'm afraid...so what i'm collecting those coupons for if the prizes itself can be bought at cheaper price? *shakeshead*

Yogiicon7-2.gif

Deviantart

Blog

#101 kirin

kirin

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

-deleted-

#102 Shin Orochi Yashiro

Shin Orochi Yashiro

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

I've stop buying Gempak...since 2004 (or was it 2003?)...Why? Easy. There were already signs of down grading. I prefer Zint's old artstyle like he did for his first story...MFEO was still ok but when he started doing the wrestling story, it was bad. Thank God Under18(the 1st one) was ok but 2 Dudes artstyle was just...no comment.Same as Kaoru...I love her old works...but eventually I'm not sure either it's her artwork or her story kinna turned me off at some point...However when she collab with C2V for the 1st time, it was epic for me.I miss Octopus and Totoro. As well as Kutu. And you know what I miss most? Apoh's Mat Gempak Yonkoma they used to publish in the old Gempak website.
Posted Image

#103 future_destiny

future_destiny

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:44 AM

used to buy gempak back then from volume oneenjoyed reading its comic series and can't wait for next issue to appear. always have a good read at their console reviews especially about pstwo.around 2006, some trouble drove me away from buying them magazines. when I'm in better feeling might buy though :(
::Replaying Digimon World 3::

#104 Mi-yue

Mi-yue

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

I stopped buying Gempak cos I prefer to get the compiled version in graphic novel form.But lately, somehow the graphic novels lack appeal to me. Is it the constricted pages? Is it the storyline? The art? I believe it's all of them. I think Kaoru is popular because her art is one of the more generic jap shojo art plus her short love stories were epic ish imo, now her series are kinda... unoriginal? Plus, isn't Maid Maiden turning a bit Harem ish.Plus, some ppl are being turned off by Juice's moe moe style << at least it's not openly ecchi! But he's popular cos of his art style too.Zint is popular because of his storyline and original yet appealing style, but under 18 last episode was kind of a disappointment.Ben use to be cool till he quited all his series and Gempak went and killed Le Gardenie and Fatal Choas with the most unorthodox and horrifying ending I have ever read.Plus some of the graphic novel that Gempak licensed from Japan is horrifying, even doujinshi made by Malaysians are much better. It's like they didn't even read the manga before agreeing to translate it. Some even have sex scenes and other weird stuff! Why are they translating doujinshi (that aren't even that great) from Thailand and Korea when we have some darn pretty good artists who are selling their doujin in conventions!! I would sign them up if I could, the first chance I get! I wish some other company would buck up and take the opportunity to get strong artists who are unsigned yet, that creates awesome storyline and art that can fight with Japan while Gempak is in this state. Orz, if only I can find an Alichino or KHR of Malaysia here!

#105 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

[quote name='"destructorv1"]i knew it is starting to suck' date=' mostly its showing ghost-like stories, yup, they can censor boobs cleavage, smoking and ass revealing, but they wont censor their art of a monster ripping someone's head off. [/quote']That's actually a problem in the local censorship's RnRs... ^^;;[quote name='"Mi-yue"]I wish some other company would buck up and take the opportunity to get strong artists who are unsigned yet' date=' that creates awesome storyline and art that can fight with Japan while Gempak is in this state. Orz, if only I can find an Alichino or KHR of Malaysia here![/quote']It would be nice to give Gempak some proper competition, but print-publishing is an expensive venture with thin returns. Not many people are willing to push it as far as Gempak has. =\

I used to be witty, then I took a meme to an appendage and now I'm just lame.

#106 Mi-yue

Mi-yue

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

That's true. I've noticed a few gempak like mags dying out. I heard Tension Academy is coming back to business soon though. They seems to be having the prob abt finance as well. I guess for all of us here, the best thing to do is just ignore gempak or flip through it in the bookstore without buying it. =3

#107 future_destiny

future_destiny

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

Actually there's something I hate about their company... but never mind that magazine's gone for good. :lol:
::Replaying Digimon World 3::

#108 ShinKaiZen

ShinKaiZen

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

Stopped buying it since 2007...Why?Ben gone..... LOL!Previously I followed few magazines like JOM! (I loved Juice's comic in here!) and this game magazine that rivals GameAxis (forgot title). Both dead... Gempak is going to join them soon... if they don't buck up.

#109 Goldsickle

Goldsickle

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

I wonder if it's because Gempak uses American style copyrighting where the magazine owns the works but not the creator himself? In Japan, they have more respect for comic authors where works are copyrighted under the author's names. There are too many unnecessary cases of artists in Malaysia like Ujang and Aie having disputes with their publishers or colleagues, leaving the company but forced to leave their creations behind due to the screwed up copyright laws. Why can't our copyright laws be more like in Japan? I think this is why comics in Malaysia are deteriorating, because knowing that you don't own what you create, you are not motivated to go all-out.
BioSyok-No Gods, No Kings, Only Syok.

#110 altintop

altintop

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:34 PM

I only buy Gempak if there is new interesting info or just read it at bookstore. I have 2 questions. First, where can I get POPCORN magazine? Seems like there are lots of info in there. The price is rm14.50 and not a single bookstore around or even Gramedia bookstore at the Mines sells it. Second, why the hell they close GFORUM????? I like messing with people there though....Ahahaha~
Ore wa GUNDAM!

#111 daniel-san

daniel-san

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

I hav stop buying Gempak a long tme ago...JUst buy the Graphic Novel, but yeah it's true that they slowly losing it's gempak-ness...No offense,this is just my opinion, I've follow Zint since he started draw with gempak...I think he's comic was awesome but lately he's comic is not so awesome like it use to be...So sad la...
Posted ImageMaid~

#112 hellayeahotaku-chan

hellayeahotaku-chan

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

i miss starz though . T.T
i wanna cosplay soo badly ... T.T
will go hungry for a pikachu kigurumi

http://damnestdiary-...a.blogspot.com/

#113 HarukiTheSevenfold

HarukiTheSevenfold

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

I havaen't been reading nor touched Gempak mags for ages[thanks to SPM] and recently I browsed a copy at Seven E and read a bit....In the end y wanna know what happened? I thought it was rather boring and read Galaxie instead and got extra bored. Lastly, I simply read the newspaper. XD But seriously there's not much interesting things in Gempak anymore. ANd right now I only focus on buying their BM translated Japanese comics.
-The Bleeding Is Over-
Posted Image

#114 re3dzarm

re3dzarm

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Stop buying Gempak after Starz become stand alone (since it all about manga / anime). Even after Starz was discontinued (i think early 2008), i still not buying gempak since all my info came from internet. I never buy it for the manga/comic inside the magazine. *Technology does change people eh?

#115 HarukiTheSevenfold

HarukiTheSevenfold

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Good point there re3dzarm.
-The Bleeding Is Over-
Posted Image

#116 daniel-san

daniel-san

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, is not really worth it...The comic inside is getting boring nowadays..
Posted ImageMaid~

#117 Arctic Monkeys

Arctic Monkeys

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:32 AM

Well, after combining Gempak with the other comic of their own that I don't remember whats its name..... it had become kinda boring to meThey add too many news, thats the problem. the comic/news ratio was like 40:60...Most of the comic was like 6 pages... kinda short compare to other I think...Now with the advertisement... the pages become more constricted....So Gempak now become more of news magazine

IPlus some of the graphic novel that Gempak licensed from Japan is horrifying, even doujinshi made by Malaysians are much better. It's like they didn't even read the manga before agreeing to translate it. Some even have sex scenes and other weird stuff! Why are they translating doujinshi (that aren't even that great) from Thailand and Korea when we have some darn pretty good artists who are selling their doujin in conventions!! I would sign them up if I could, the first chance I get!

And I couldn't disagree with that....
"Don't stare at me. Ignore me"[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]

#118 darkz91

darkz91

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

ahh, the old days~~ usually just buy the graphic comic~~other reason, Ben was out of Gempak~man, his story still haven't finished and other artist (WTH) came to finish them~~ huh!!! what the??? the ending?!!! man, speechless...Japanese manga? i bought some from Kinokuniya, well, not the translation though(not so happy with it being translate)besides, the translation are easy to download from the net.. I bought the original language(ah, the best!! )
自分自身信じてる~

#119 rawr2buny

rawr2buny

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

Like seriously I have to agree ;_;I've stopped buying Gempak since.. i cant remember but definitely since long time ago |DI bought almost all the BM translated manga everytime there's a release, but lately i found the translation is quite horror. Read 1-2 pages and I already feel like crying. And yeah like someone wrote above, they should really read first the contents and only translate mangas with good storyline *sigh* T^T But oh well since I've been collecting since high school, I'll continue buying however annoying it is~ :PBen's, Kaoru's and few others impressed me with their art style but their plot and storyline or maybe just the ending.. can be a bit annoying. I don't know maybe its just me. I dont really mind any type of ending, be it a bitter sweet or cliche' ending whatever but never can I accept an open ending. I read LeGardenie and got really disappointed in the end *sniffs* |DIn the end I've got no choice but to buy English or original Japanese manga. Although they really cost me a fortune ^^;

#120 Ching

Ching

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

Well to me, I have stopped buying Gempak since last year 2010, prior the time I returned from New York due to my family issues to deal with. Once I thought that Gempak is part of the Malaysian manga revolution time. But as time goes by, instead it keep the way we used to know Gempak, it has reverted back to for children audience only. I am not totally offenced by the Malaysian Law but this is Not how we know about manga anime. Remember the Kosmos! misunderstood about manga anime? I will not forget about it..... If you really want to make the comparable
REACHING YOUR TRUE GOAL & HAVE FAITH WHITHIN' YOU.My Galleryhttp://chingsruna.deviantart.com