82 replies to this topic

#1 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:49 AM

Because the old forum used to have this... and it's kind of annoying to have to answer the same questions over and over and OVER again.Feel free to post up questions AND/OR answers regarding cosplay and it's related stuffs over here (AKA general cosplay question. If you wanna ask about how to make stuffs or where to find stuffs PLEASE OPEN A NEW THREAD).

Requote the questions posted if you would like to answer the question or if you are the one asking and had acquired the answer already, just EDIT your post with the answer.

Like this, it wouldn't be messy and you didn't need to scroll up and down to relocate the questions. Keep discussions to a minimum (aka not consisting of one liners and you post your discussion in ONE post) and chat nonsense/spam on the thread. That's what IMs and PMs for. And no, this thread is NOT for you to brag about yourself. And no, there are ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to post one liners to tell how GRATEFUL you are that someone started this thread.I repeat. POST GENERAL FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ONLY.

If you want to ask about how to do/make stuff there are other threads that can help and yes, open a new thread please.

[EDIT 2012] Since formatting goes to Utopia... please spare some time before I could fix all the posts I made including the ones on other thread. At least... the ones I can edit.

通りすがりの仮面ライダーだ、覚えておけ!」。Flame Izumi's albums, FF.N acc,

#2 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

I'll start.

1. What is cosplay?
Go read here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay
This is also good: What is Cosplay

Video: How to cosplay

EDIT: Linking this here so that newer cosplayers and old would be reminded on why Cosplay should always be fun. This was an interview on a young cosplayer. Regardless, the things she said can be humbling for many.
Ysabel's interview

Regardless, it's just a hobby that involved COStumes and rolePLAY. Do the rest of the math.

2. I want to cosplay, what are the things that I should consider/do before I start?
First thing first, money. Cosplay COST money. But then again... most hobbies are not free anyway, unless you had a hobby of collecting free random things.

Second, do a lot of research on what you wanted to do/make. Aside from that, any other of the cosplay etiquettes shouldn't differ much from any normal social etiquettes stuffs.

See also: Beginner's guide, Newbie's tips

3. Where do I get my cosplay costumes/props/shoes/boots/accessories/etc?
There's a lot of ways here. I put in point form.

- Make/Sew yourself
- If you're good at sewing/handicraft, feel free to use the skills to make the costumes/props that you want to make.
- Commission a tailor/propmaker to help you sew/make your costume/prop
- If you're NOT that good in sewing/propmaking, much less to make clothes/props; then this is the way to go.
- Buy from local costume/anime merchandise stores
>> if you really desperate, but do not want to go to the hassle of making the things yourself. Pay in mind that the choice will be limited and the size would be questionable. If you're lucky to get the costume that was the right size for you, then good for you.
- Buy from local shopping mall - If it happens that the cloths that you want to get are as normal as our everyday clothes, well... looking around stores around you might just prove to be enough.
- Alter your clothes
>> Pretty much self-explanatory.
- Order online
>> There's a lot of places that sells costumes online, I'm sure you can find it without me telling you.

4. Where do I get wigs/color lens/etc?
- Local stores
>> limited
- Online shops

Supporting threads for question 3 and 4.
- Cosplay tutorials list

- Cosplay Material Sourcelist

Note on online orders: Do so with the people that you TRUST. And please check if the seller is a credible one before making purchase. The people in the forum can do nothing to help you if anything goes wrong. No amount of complaining in this forum do anyone any good.
Note 2: Please be realistic. If you are making any costumes from scratch, TIME is needed in order to make the things that you wanted made. Plan your time wisely. And if you needed help, be realistic as well and not asking the help when the event that you wanna debut your cosplay is like TOMORROW or the very week you posting the request for help. We are NOT miracle workers. And people here have no obligation to help you make your own project.

[Fixed links]

Edited by Izumi Ishtar, 07 August 2015 - 09:18 PM.

• FAT8893 likes this

#3 silvennia

silvennia

The Lurking Daydreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 795 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

5. I've finally found what character I want to cosplay! But where do I start? How do I get my references? Can you help me please?-Look back at the answers stated above this post. In light of searching for references, Google is your friend; or rather, Google Image. If you have any friends who have artbooks that has the character that you want to cosplay, borrow the book and take down notes from it.-Always start by researching more of the character i.e. what is the personality, how is the costume like, is it doable, will it breach the acceptance in this country, etc. If there are additional props that goes along with the costume, get your research done extensively on the dimensions of the prop, and what materials would suit the props best (some work well with PVC pipes, others with simple cardboard. you decide)- As for us helping you, we can help in suggestions only. Remember that this is your project, not ours. By the end of the day, you should want to feel the deep satisfaction of finishing a project all by yourself, and not being told of what to do from scratch from any of us :)6. I'm really bad at applying makeup. Help!Not everyone is good at this. Take some time off and go through several trial and error before you achieve the look that you want. If not, scout around the cosmetics section for some advice when you are buying their products. Mostly they will help :)There was a thread in the old forum on makeup tutorials. Perhaps it will be restarted again one day. Or if you don't mind spending more money, head over to viewtopic.php?f=17&t=150 where she offers her makeup services for a price
  • FAT8893 likes this

*~*~Always believe in yourself~*~*

[T] @silvennia [IG] @silvennia [B] www.silvennia.com 

#4 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

This thread remained pinned oh so good~

6. I'm planning to cosplay a certain character but I don't wanna do it alone. How do I join a cosplay group?
Basic point, a cosplay group IS NOT like entering a cosplay competition. If you wanna join, you join. End of story.
You don't need to ask permission to join any cosplay group. You just need to tell the group leader what character that you wanted to cosplay and when. Simple as that.

7. I wanna make a cosplay group, is it okay to make a new one?
Of course it is! But before you click that Submit button, please check in the Cosplay Group section to see if there is any other similar group as to the one you wanted to make in the section. If there is, just join that thread discussion. You don't need to make a new thread.

8. Is it okay to do any repeated cosplays (even if in that cosplay group already have another person doing that same character that I wanted to do)?
Regardless in the past that a lot of people saying that they don't want to see any repeated characters, IT IS OKAY if you wanted to do the cosplay even if someone else already decided to do it. It's YOUR OWN CHOICE. If you wanted to do the cosplay, why do you need to pay attention to what other people say about it?

Extra note: Usually when a group leader makes a cosplay group, the details of the group and the list of people doing the characters are usually posted in the first post in the thread. Usually this post is updated every time a new member joins in. Please if you are new, check the first post before inquiring anything.
Extra note no. 2: Most of the people here are very blunt in making their post. Most of them here also are not that good at explaining stuff so sometimes they just explain things as simple as possible to avoid unnecessary confusion. Just because someone pointed out a fact at you bluntly, doesn't mean we had anything against you. People just tend to get straight to the point in posting what they wanted to post.
  • FAT8893 likes this

#5 lelouch_erika

lelouch_erika

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

can i just be a cosplayer without enter any cosply competition? :?

#6 DeidaraGS

DeidaraGS

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

Sure you can! There's no need for you to enter any competitions if you dont want to :D
Posted ImageCheck out my cosplay pics at my Devart!http://deidarags.deviantart.com/

#7 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

In relation to lelouch_rika's post.

9. If I joined a cosplay group, does it mean that I am also joining the cosplay competition?
No. A cosplay group is just a group where you can gather together to cosplay some characters from the same series. You don't necessary have to join the competition (group, in this case) when you join any cosplay group; same as you don't necessary have to join cosplay competitions just because you wanted to cosplay/dress up as any character during the event. Unless of course, your group wanted to join the competition... that's another story.

10. What type of material (for props) are allowed into the event?
(Useful for anyone who needs to have props as part of their cosplay)
Referenced from here

Materials that are allowed:
Wood, Aluminium foils (with no sharp/protruding ends), Polystyrene, Cardboards, Paper & art clays, Other non toxic/dangerous materials

Materials that are strictly not allowed:
Zinc foil, Tin foil, Any type of hard metal, Blades (or replicas of other weapons), Glass, Spray Paint cans and other aerosol related products.Any other material not listed above, feel free to ask the related people responsible.

10-i. Why did you have all these rules about what material that are allowed or not allowed for props?
Because accidents tend to happen and metal-type materials as well as glass and other listed materials have the possibility that it might hurt/injure anyone that are in contact with it including yourself (aka sharp surfaces) so better be safe than sorry. But that doesn't mean you can be careless with your other props (even if they were allowed). Flying projectiles are still dangerous regardless of what type of materials it is.

10-ii. Why can't I use replicas as props?
Because replicas are usually made to resemble the actual thing (other than the fact that most are usually made in metal) and might be mistaken as the real thing.

And some places have security guards so if they see you walking around with these replicas, you might be mistaken as robbers, terrorist or some hooligans. Not to mention as well, that these replicas can pose danger to yourself and/or other people if not handled properly.I myself had been mistaken as some troublemaker by a security guard and my prop was wooden. See? It happens.

[Edit Dec 2010]
10-iii. Is there any kind of costumes that would not be appropriate for the event? Why?
Costumes that the comm decided not suitable for the events, are mostly costumes/characters that are scantily clad or exposed too much skin. But by any means it does not necessary means that you cannot do those kinds of characters but preferably please also wear some kind of skin coloured body suits on or anything similar.

This is mostly due to the fact that the events are attended by many people of varied ages and cultures, some people may not like it. Plus, you can avoid accidents like the possibility of accidental flashing of body parts to unsuspecting people. We all know how embarrassing that could be.I'm not sure how the present ruling is about this issue. But considering on CF2010 there was an increase of cosplays that features scantily-clad characters and male characters that were half-dressed, I felt the need to point this out. It's a doujin/ACG and cosplay gathering/event, not a place where people flaunt their bodies to just about everyone.

Note: I might add some more FAQ on this post later if it comes to mind, but feel free to pm or post your questions here. ^_^
  • FAT8893 likes this

#8 silvennia

silvennia

The Lurking Daydreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

11. I want to make my own props, but I don't know howTry googling for simple tutorials for the sort of props you need to craft out. If not, improvise and be creative about it. Check out the Cosplay Tutorial List if there are any relevant tutorials to what props that you plan to craft out. You can also ask the propmakers we have in this forum for some tips and tricks (But please, do not expect to be spoonfed about it)12. I want to cosplay too! But I don't know what should I cosplay as! Help?Well, this is a question you should answer on your own. Really. Cosplaying is not limited to Japanese anime, manga or games alone. If you really like those characters from a certain book that you love so much, why not give it a go? The main point is to cosplay a character you really do know, and see how well you can pull it off. If you follow up on a friend's suggestion (whereby you don't know the character well) then keep on researching more on the character's personality, the costume, etc etc. Most importantly is to know how the character acts most of the time. You wouldn't want to see a moody Naruto and a cheerful Sasuke wouldn't you? (This is the simplest example I can give, but you get my point)13. I don't like any characters to cosplay so far. Can I just enter the cosplay competition wearing my favorite lolita/Visual-Kei/punk outfit instead?No. Those are categorized under fashion actually, not cosplaying. Unless, of course, you are dressing up as your favorite singer/rock band/actress then it is a different story (for example, cosplaying as Miyavi). Even so, kindly check with the organizers beforehand to make sure that it is accepted.
  • FAT8893 likes this

*~*~Always believe in yourself~*~*

[T] @silvennia [IG] @silvennia [B] www.silvennia.com 

#9 Rimomo-Chan

Rimomo-Chan

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 705 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

If the cosplay scare to the camera how? What can the cosplayer do ?
ShamanKingGroup10viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1487&start=0Watashi wa AI-CHIN desu! Rimomo janai yo ^^Cosplay plan~ 2010[spoiler=]Anna KyouyamaKisa Sohma[/spoiler]

#10 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:49 AM

Rimomo-chan> mind if you edit your post and clarify your question? I'll try to answer as best as I can. *will be editing this particular post later* Or you can pm me to clarify what you mean in that question. I'll try if can help you. Since I didn't understand the question.

#11 vivian

vivian

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9926 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

i supposed she meant the coser has phobia towards the camera, and asking how to overcome this problem

#12 sky_pegasus

sky_pegasus

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 936 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

JUST SAY NO to the cameraman. You have the right to NOT give permission to the photographers to take pics of you. So exercise your rights. Or if you're to shy to speak to the cameraman....always have a friend to accompany you so she could stop the cameraman from taking pics of you...by physically blocking or verbally warn the photographers.
  • FAT8893 likes this

#13 mamoru_sama

mamoru_sama

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5021 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

sky>>well for this last time at C2AGE~well u can see at what people comment about it~got some photographers that really suddenly come and take pic~when we talking or just doing relaxing~how should we react that??
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageMode:Blur~too much thing @_@Yahoo:ONMSN:ON

#14 vivian

vivian

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9926 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

sky>>well for this last time at C2AGE~well u can see at what people comment about it~got some photographers that really suddenly come and take pic~when we talking or just doing relaxing~how should we react that??

seems like you guys didnt even notice that your pics were captured..ya? yup, what shall we do since we dont even know? lolz

#15 mamoru_sama

mamoru_sama

Lifeless CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5021 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

vivian>>some of them have flash with them...we can just notice when the flash direct to our eyesalsosudden feel u are being target(my instict somehow wild type also)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageMode:Blur~too much thing @_@Yahoo:ONMSN:ON

#16 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

*sigh*You know you guys could have PM-ed me or something. I merely asked clarification for the questions asked by rimomo. Since the question is TOO VAGUE.

14. What should I do if I am being harrassed by photographers who wanted to take my pictures but I do not want to have mine taken? (like you were tired and wanted rest/eat/makeup/etc)

As also been said by sky, you can just say NO to them. You have rights to SAY NO. If they do not comply.. you just move away from their sight or turn away from them, have someone block their camera, walk up towards them and ask for them to remove your picture etc. If you are still being harrassed by them, either report them towards the event commitee members or if there's officers around, tell it to them.

15. What should I do? I'm scared about posing in front of camera/people! (Because SERIOUSLY, this was my first thought of what rimomo was trying to ask)

Practice. That's all. You can either do it at home in front of a mirror or ask a friend to give pointers on how to pose. I think there's a tutorial about posing on the tutorial thread. LOOK FOR IT. If you're scared about having people you do not know take pictures of you, well you can just deny them. But if you were asked politely, be courteous as to return the favor. The photographers are humans also, they won't eat you.

16. i. What should I do if there's photographers trying to follow me to the toilet/dressing room to take upskirt/indecent pictures of me? ii. Or them trying to take pictures of me while I'm still not ready? (As in you're still trying to apply makeups, touch up wigs etc)
i. Refer to question 14 again.
ii. If you can move somewhere else, move away. If you can't, ask a friend nearby to ask the photographer to go away and/or have the pictures taken deleted. If the person is being stubborn, you don't need to feel sorry if something untoward happens to them like the breaking of their cameras.

- Some photographers feels that it was their right to take just about ANY kinds of pictures they could take of you, aside during the time when you DID pose for them. So if you're out in the open, that's the risks that you would face.
- Aside from that, the usual protocol for photography should be easily found somewhere in this forum and the main website.

Edit: 16. iii. What should I do if I see photographers being rude to others while trying to take cosplay photos of me or others? (Had to reword it like this... )

Ask them politely to mind their manners to other people. If they refused to do that, it's not that farfetched for you to not allow them to take your photos. Or just move away so that if they were preparing to take photos, those will not turn out well. Just because they have big-ass cameras doesn't mean they can be rude to others. You may also inform the event organizer to come if the photographers are causing trouble. Sometimes, that's the only thing you can do in other to get some sense to them.

Disclaimers: Aside from the fact that I am partially cranky right now, the harsh tone of this post is NOT directed to anyone in particular. Still, next time, if there's any questions you wanna know post away.

Any subsequent replies to that questions or if you wanna help the poster to give clarification to me, sil, or anyone else who gave answers to said questions, please use the PM function. It starts to get confusing when the thread gets long for no reason. And EDIT function there was THERE for a reason.
  • FAT8893 likes this

#17 Xan

Xan

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

Been seeing all this questions popping out so gonna add somethings too.17. My powers are really high. And the contacts I have doesn't have any power (sharingan/ crazy lens). What should I do?Find an alternative way. Either burn out more money to get those that have powers or you can just wear your specs while cosplaying. When photographers come and ask for pictures, just take them off. Sure, it tends to ruin your costume slightly, but better off being blind and running into people, walls or poles.18. Which one goes first? Makeup or contact lenses?Most of us prefer to put on our contact lenses first because putting on the contacts later might smudge your makeup plus some of the germs might get into the contacts too. You can choose to wear contact lenses after putting on the make up but make sure your hands are clean and dry. 19. Should I change to my costume from home or at the event itself?It depends on one individual. Some preferred to wear the costume from home while some rather change at the event itself. So it's up to you actually.20. I've seen some people wearing Jrock/ Oshare Kei/ Visual Kei/ Punk clothes and people said they're cosplaying. Why?It depends actually. Those that are considered as cosplays are the people who wore the clothes that singers/ rock bands wore before. They imitate the idols. THAT is counted as cosplay. People who just put on some random mix match clothes and call themselves cosplay, they're talking nonsense. Refer to question number 13. IT'S CALL FASHION.
  • FAT8893 likes this
I totally just wasted 3 seconds of your life >D

#18 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

Because I was bored... and I need to type something.This time, we'll be touching on cosplay skits and other random things~

21. I/we want to join a cosplay [solo/duo/group] competition! But usually I/we have to create a skit. What should we do (to make a good skit that they judges will like) ?
DeidaraGS used to post a good thread about this. I'll update this when I found the post again later. Or if I can't, I'll try look up some other sites with good advice regarding this.

Since I can't find it anymore, here some I found online.

How to Successfully Present an Entertaining Masquerade/Cosplay Skit

Judging criteria

Tips to make a good skit

Developing a Good Masquerade Skit

Do's and Don't's

22. I'm in a cosplay solo competition and in this part of the session I need to do a miniskit based on the items that were given by the judges/mcs! What should I do? (Applies also to cosplay chess, cosplay roulette or any other cosplay related competitions)
Part of the meaning of Cosplay is "Play". As in RolePlay. Meaning, whatever skits you might end up doing should be of the reactions of your character towards a given situation.

For example last GACC08, Kurosaki Ichigo had to act as a maid in a maid cafe scenario. What you should do as Ichigo in that situation should be Ichigo's reaction to this scene. I mean... he's a BOY and a shinigami! Be a maid? Yeah right! Be in character while you play your character!

Don't get Out of Character just because the situation is new for your character to be in.

23. I'm not really good at role playing. How can I get better at doing that?
Watch, rewatch, read, reread every source material you can get of your favourite character to understand how their mind/personality worked. Or look for any role-playing/RPG community out there where a lot of people create journal accounts and participating in these RPG comms in order to roleplay their favourite characters. See how they react to any scenarios while keeping their roleplay personae in character with their canons.

24. I've read before on how some people ask which is better, getting a wig or spray/colour your hair. So which is it?
Neither. Of course using a wig is better, but not all of us can afford to buy wigs, especially every time. Colouring your hair is the next best thing. But take note, for hair sprays/gels/moose/etc... these are better used for lighter hair colours. Because unless your natural hair is light, the colours won't show and you might need to apply thicker layers.

And considering our climate that is dry and humid, temp colours don't last long and might even react with moisture and change into another color. But this fact also might be useful as we can use it to our advantage!Like I used my orange hair sprays last time to get my hair either orange, red, reddish brown in colour. Or yellow/blond sprays to get yellow/blond, green hair. Temp hair colour spray colour choices aren't that many and easy to get after all.

25. On the same note, which is better; wearing coloured/special contact lenses or not wearing one?
If you can afford it, they by all means buy it and use it (while taking all precautionary of safe contact lens use to protect your eyes). If you aren't, it's OKAY to not get them. Unless you're doing a photoshoot... eye colours not that important. Even Uchiha Itachi didn't activate his Sharingan AT ALL TIMES because that took energy as well.

Edited by Izumi Ishtar, 10 April 2015 - 02:17 AM.

#19 xAoiSora

xAoiSora

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

Hello, I've got a few questions regarding cosplay and hope someone can help me... Hope I'm in the right thread.1. I've noticed a lot of people started cosplaying around the age of 14-16. I'm 14 myself, and I was wondering, how do people get the money to buy the outfits? In my case I can afford it if I skip my lunch for two months, but ordering online requires a credit card and I don't think my parents are supportive in this activity. So how do you guys do it? @_@2. I can't find a friend who's willing to spend a bomb on cosplay like me, and I don't want to go alone. Right so there are cosplay groups, but do they only get together to take photos, or do the members of the groups hang out together all the time and make friends or something? Or if I were to join a group without anyone I know, am I going to end up walking around sad and alone? :XThanks in advance if anyone notices this. :)

#20 Xan

Xan

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hello, I've got a few questions regarding cosplay and hope someone can help me... Hope I'm in the right thread.1. I've noticed a lot of people started cosplaying around the age of 14-16. I'm 14 myself, and I was wondering, how do people get the money to buy the outfits? In my case I can afford it if I skip my lunch for two months, but ordering online requires a credit card and I don't think my parents are supportive in this activity. So how do you guys do it? @_@2. I can't find a friend who's willing to spend a bomb on cosplay like me, and I don't want to go alone. Right so there are cosplay groups, but do they only get together to take photos, or do the members of the groups hang out together all the time and make friends or something? Or if I were to join a group without anyone I know, am I going to end up walking around sad and alone? :XThanks in advance if anyone notices this. :)

Well. I'l help you answer this. Based on your questions. Izu, correct me if I'm wrong X_X 1. Some of the cosplayers had their parents to support them all the way. While some, starve themselves and save up. And from what I know, most of the ordering can be done through agent. And the agents all have bank in system. So yeah, unless you decided to direct order from Ebay and such. Then yes, you would need a Credit Card.2. Some people met their group members ON THE SPOT. While some met them through outings or online. Mostly online first, then outing or just plainly event. Depends of course. And if you join a group, you won't feel lonely. Cause most people I know here are friendly. Just start a conversation by saying the normal Hi there would be fine. :]Hope that solves the question X_X
I totally just wasted 3 seconds of your life >D

#21 xAoiSora

xAoiSora

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

K, thank you Zan and Izumi. Though in my case the money can be saved, but the buying is a problem. For instance, I do buy manga with my own money, and my parents are all "Gosh, spend RM30 on comic books" but nothing else because it's quite minor. But as for cosplay outfits which are about a hundred ringgit, they'll probably kick up a fuss, even if it was with my own money.Gosh, all my problems would be solved if I had my own credit card, or if I can find a shop that has what I want! Anyway, thanks once again guys. :]

#22 Cho_hakkai

Cho_hakkai

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

I will like to ask a few question as I am a bit experience in term of taking cosplay photo and have some general knowledge about cosplay but very new when it come to cosplaying a character (planning to start cosplaying)1.) Let say this is our first costume. When should we change the costume or character so that the photographer will not be bored by our cosplay considering that cosplay is a very money consuming hobby.2.) Is it ok to cosplay the same character for all the event or do we need to change character after joining a few events?

#23 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:25 AM

I'm answering the second q first.

26. Is it ok to cosplay the same character for all the event or do we need to change character after joining a few events?
Actually... no one can actually stop you if you want to reuse your one costume to death. You have NO OBLIGATION whatsoever to change you cosplay/costume just after joining a few events. This is NOT A JOB. In fact, you are NOT REQUIRED to cosplay in order to attend cosplay related events.

So actually... this question is actually silly to even be asked. If you want to use the same costume over and over... that's your choice. There is no NEED to change your cosplay after a few events. Unless you wanted to do so la.

27. Assuming I'm on my first costume/cosplay, when should we change the costume or character so that the photographer will not be bored by our cosplay considering that cosplay is a very money consuming hobby.
This question... why do you even need to consider if the photographer are bored or not seeing your cosplay? Are you cosplaying for the sake of getting people to take your picture or you cosplay because you LOVE to cosplay that character? If your answer is the first one... I think you better reconsider taking this hobby seriously.

Personally... how long you wanna wear your costume would depend on how long are you going to stay at the event. Because seriously, did you want to go to the event AND cosplay for the event or the photographers? Better set your priorities straight.

#24 Mitski Ming

Mitski Ming

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

where the cosplayers' bags put during a event?i didnt saw them bring along their bag or purse, but they should bring it, right?and i saw many bags just put aside or leave at a corner, isn't they afraid somebody will stole it?
my cosplay plan: all in my facebook :P
http://mitskiming.deviantart.com

#25 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

Uhhh?They either had (in some events--there are some things called a storage service) stored their things in the storage areas provided, or ask their friends to watch over them. Or even bring it around themselves. Obviously. They should keep them somewhere afterall... so if you saw stuff lying somewhere, chances the owners are hovering nearby and had their pictures taken. And if there are people leaving their stuffs unattended... it's their problem then, would it? Doing that after all is a risk.You are after all responsible for your own things.

#26 Raincloud

Raincloud

Veteran CFer

• Community Moderator
  • 901 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

where the cosplayers' bags put during a event?i didnt saw them bring along their bag or purse, but they should bring it, right?and i saw many bags just put aside or leave at a corner, isn't they afraid somebody will stole it?

There are some events that provide storage areas for the cosplayers, but most of the time the cosplayer will still at least have his/her phone, camera and wallet nearby.in a case that no storage area is provided, the cosplayer usually rely on their friends for help.most cosplayers move around in packs you see... so sometimes if they need to pose for a picture or do a shoot, they will pass their items to their friend to hold for them until they finish. For the cosplayers who travel in smaller groups or 2-3 people, they probably bring around a small trolley bag with them and drag it around as they move around in the event, keeping their bags close when they stop to pose.more inovative cosplayers will find a way to incorporate their phone,bag, camera in their cosplay props. especially those with big dresses or bulky props. A hidden compartment is made somewhere to hold their items and hide it while they pose and take pictures.im sure if you see a pile of luggage somewhere, the cosplayer is probably lurking around nearby. most events wont allow you to leave a pile of bags unattended anyway.
I'll be nicer if you'll be smarter. ^________^

#27 yatashi_suzuki

yatashi_suzuki

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

hi ,1) my parents totally disagree me to cosplay , i m 16 this year and my character is KAITO 2) Since i cannot cosplay , i will be joining photoshooting . But i only holding a Sony Cyber-shot ! And i dunno where to start and what's the rule(rights or law) of photoshooting ... Thanks mina-san

--------------------------------------------------
WELCOME ON-BOARD ! 

SGTWCVer2.gif 

#28 Raincloud

Raincloud

Veteran CFer

• Community Moderator
  • 901 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

darrentcteo94: you say your parents disagree with you cosplaying...but you already went on with it. now the problem would be getting them to let you continue or continue hiding it from them. i personally think being truthful with your parents and explain to them the 'benefits ' of cosplaying ( hey mom, at least im not smoking or doing drugs or wasting my time in random sshopping malls. 8D) and the kind of skills you can gain would eventually get them to accept it. especially since the cosplay industry is getting more exposure these days.2)nothing wrong with a digicam. not many rules about photoshooting except respect the cosplayer and take good pics. but if you are at an event..always ask permission from the cosplayer before taking a picture.thats about all i guess
I'll be nicer if you'll be smarter. ^________^

#29 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

28. Is there any rules or etiquettes if I wanted to just take photographs of people during any ACG events/cons?
There used to be a section about photography and the etiquette on the main page but since it was under revamp... I may edit the links here whenever the post is up or new one is up. Or if I've found it again.But here's what I found on the net in the mean time.

Photography Etiquette

That aside, there's also the part about no taking upskirt photos, no taking pictures of cosplayers in the changing rooms/toilets aka stalks them that far...

And there's also this from the earlier questions. Though the answers there was mostly from the cosplayers' side of things, you can twist it around to what you should do as a photographer.

#30 nickellye

nickellye

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

1. Cosmetics/costumes/tools/props/replicas are to be prepared by the cosplayers themselves. Only self-made replicas are allowed. A replica that depicts an existing weapon is strictly not allowed. Guns which are palettes type are not recommended but we do not allow it to be loaded. Live ammunition/real hand guns are banned.

I'm slightly confused and need some clarification on this. in regards to not using replica props...are toy guns (eg. the kind from pasar malams and toycity) included in this category? just wanted to check.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users