82 replies to this topic

#31 Xan

Xan

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

Yes. Unless there is no bullet inside it. Then you are allowed to bring it to the event.
I totally just wasted 3 seconds of your life >D

#32 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

As long as the toy guns do not have bullets/projectiles aka pallet-types (like BB guns and sedara maranya) and and not dangerous (aka those toys that's like mini pistol mercun -and I thought this country already banned it but I sometimes see them still being sold- and have those plastic 'bullets' that you can put in and fire and it can STILL shoot), yes you can bring it as prop.

Or else many people have been breaking the rules without realising. You just wanna cosplay with it, right? You shouldn't need their 'bullets'. You wanna play shoot out play elsewhere.

The rules mostly is involving gun replicas that (are NOT self-made), looked like the real life/existing weapon and mostly made in metal and/or wood. As well as those metal replicas that you can find sold at central market etc that was MEANT as a display ONLY.

This precaution is made so that no one should go try rob a bank or something with it. As well as hurt people and ALSO not giving cops ideas that you wanna do some attacks on civilians.

Guns which are palettes type are not recommended but we do not allow it to be loaded.

Like it says, it's not really recommended and you cannot bring a loaded one to the event. Meaning while you may bring it, you cannot have it loaded. And even if it was not mentioned, I think LOADED water guns and water pistols are also included in this. As well as... the ones that looked like real senapang patah and IS an air toy gun. (because I had a cousin who had it so I know it exist.)

Still if you have further doubts, you can ask the cosplay committee people about it. ^_^

EDITED like whoaaa. If there's anything needing rewording and stuffs just tell me.

通りすがりの仮面ライダーだ、覚えておけ!」。Flame Izumi's albums, FF.N acc,

#33 devilz kid

devilz kid

Pokémon Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

ano... why aren't the cosplaywiki links working?

-TheDollyEye contact lens (RM15~RM30) *ready stock*

-2nd hand/new items to be sold!! (Uchiha Sasuke wig, etc..)

Cosplay List:

Spoiler

#34 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:41 AM

The answer for that, would be either the site is down or the link is dead, which generally meant the same anyway. I'm editing out the cosplaywiki link and japan-talk.If anyone found any other refs feel free to PM me about it. Then again, a lot of these stuffs are mostly common sense actually.

#35 KouHisana

KouHisana

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

I'm a newbie and I'm facing a few problem right now. Experience-ed seniors, feel free to enrich me with new knowledge.I understand as a human we won't be able to be perfect. So does cosplay. I'm ready to accept all kinds of criticisms from the first day I made my decision.Straight? Curly?I'm going to cosplay as a character with curly hair but the wig with that certain colour is not in stock so I end up buying a straight hair. A senior said what I did is disrespect-ing the author and now I felt very guilty with what I did. Colours of the wigDifferent people have different point of view on colour.I'm going to cosplay as Queen Victoria from Kuroshitsuji this year and I bought this wig. (pls take a look at the picture and ignore the messy-ness of the wig.) She told me I bought the wrong colour. :shock: [spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]This is the original Queen Victoria from the anime:[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]Feel free to give critisme on the costume and the wig (+the person too).I'm so sorry my questions sounds very personal but I'm telling the story to bring out my questions.1. Must we follow everything from tip to toe? 2. Can cosplayer change some of the (minor) part to meet their height/style/face(?)/availability??
I just wanna sell off my costumes & wigs.. orz

#36 DeidaraGS

DeidaraGS

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

1. If possible, then yes. But sometimes, you gotta make compromises due to budget/time/your own abilities.2. YesAnd your wig just needs some styling! It looks pretty okay to me :D The color might not be as accurate as the image, but that happens sometimes.
Posted ImageCheck out my cosplay pics at my Devart!http://deidarags.deviantart.com/

#37 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

Because you might like a second opinion.

29. Choosing wigs, straight or curly? What if I can't get to buy a wig exactly as my character designs?
On the straight or Curly part, I guess it also depends on the situation. Since you can also try to style them afterwards if the wigs don't follow exactly as the character you want. Calling it disrespectful, well personally I say that's pretty extreme. And colorwise- well everyone had different interpretation on colors anyway.

30. Must I really recreate the costume as exactly as the original source from tip to toe?
I mostly had the same opinion as Dei, when possible, it's great if we can recreate everything from tip to toe but you have to also remember your own limits (ability-wise, budget-wise etc) I don't think people would blame you if you tried your best, as long as you keep close to the desired appearance. If people criticise you on it, take it in a positive light on how to improve. If too aggressive though, I don't think you should let that bother you too much or take them serious. Because if you want perfect likeness, it's like saying you need to go cosmetic surgery all the time to alter your appearance. Extremist can be a bit unbearable sometimes.

31. Can I do any changes or alterations to the costume designs to fit my body type/Colours/etc?
Yes. Actually we can make some changes. Proportions and other aspects sometimes don't translate well in real life, sometimes you have to make some changes. And some colors don't look well with some others/or even your own skin tones--so sometimes you have to make some choices on colors (wigs, lenses, clothes) so that those colors don't clash/backfire on you.

#38 yatashi_suzuki

yatashi_suzuki

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

Is me again ...I gonna cosplay at CF soonis it okay if i don't wear the wig cap / net ? I have a short hairthx !!

--------------------------------------------------
WELCOME ON-BOARD ! 

SGTWCVer2.gif 

#39 arju-naa

arju-naa

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Well.. I have a question.I'm about to embark on cosplay for the first time, and now I'm doing a lot of planning (I checked out all related threads in this forum by the way.) so that my first cosplay wouldn't be so bad-looking at first attempt. So now, I have two cosplays to do:1. Mirai Trunks from Dragon Ball Z2. A butler version of Vegeta.Wait - what?So my question now is related to my second choice. I don't plan on entering any cosplay competition, but is it okay if I cosplayed as an existing character in any anime series BUT in an outfit designed solely by myself? I'm fully aware that it's not allowed in competitions, but it's only for the fun of it. So is it okay? Or does it break any unspoken etiquettes in cosplaying?Thanks!

tumblr_mmcf8hq40C1s5vajfo1_500.gif

If you have a dream, don't wait. Act. One of life's little rules. Got it memorized?

deviantART + Roleplay/ask Tumblr + Art Tumblr + Fancomic in progress

I'm open for forum signature requests~

#40 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

As far as I know... as long as you keep the appearance as close to the character, it should be fine.

#41 arju-naa

arju-naa

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

I see.So would a design for Butler!Vegeta like this be okay?[spoiler=A butler Vegeta? o_o]Posted Image[/spoiler]I did my best to make him as recognizeable as possible. All I changed was his outfit - not the usual armor-and-spandex outfit that DBZ fans are used to. >.< I don't know though! Any clarification would be really useful. Thanks!

If you have a dream, don't wait. Act. One of life's little rules. Got it memorized?

#42 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

That should be okay, since as long as you managed to get his hair spiked up in that style people should be able to recognize it.

#43 arju-naa

arju-naa

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Izumi! : D

#44 RezPhaze

RezPhaze

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

I'm very new here.I want to ask this important things.Height - High/ShortBody size - Fat/Thinand Face color.Is this is very very very important?Hey, if I'm short, that would be weird to cosplay anime with great height.And Face color, my friend wanted to be Uryu (from Bleach), face color to be it i think it's important.
i disembark accidental drink SODA

#45 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

32. Can I cosplay a character even if my body shape/height/complexion doesn't match exactly like the characters? Is that an important aspect?
Well truthfully... no one could stop you if you wanted to cosplay those characters anyway... but if answering based on what people generally thinks, YES. Height and Body size is important.

If possible please find character that's most suitable for you. While there's no such rule to say that short people or fat people cannot cosplay tall or lean characters, some people would criticize the cosplay harshly if they did not like to see it and called it cosfuck or what's not. Unless you have a strong heart to be able to accept criticism openly no matter how harsh, it was advisable to refrain from doing it. The otaku community could be very harsh and the comments given CAN be demoralizing.

Or... you can try to modify the costume designs to fit your body size and make it look good on you. It was still up to you. Do you want to cosplay because you wanted the attention or because you loved the character. If it was the latter, then just do it regardless of height and bodysize. ^_^

On face color... or to put in general, skin color; well... makeups helps.

#46 HarukiTheSevenfold

HarukiTheSevenfold

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hello there. I have one question: Apart from Sun Comic, where else in KL can I get cosplay clothes? Thanks.
-The Bleeding Is Over-
Posted Image

#47 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

You mean like ready made ones? Yes unfortunately, that's about it. Unless you tried checking some other similar shops to try your luck. Most of other costume or Halloween related shops don't usually sell cosplay costumes, just general themes halloween ones. Though personally, most of the ready made ones aren't really that accurate with exceptions of a few.The ones I used to know also are now nonexistent since the building complex the shop used to be in was no longer around. You can still try some of the shops around Petaling Street.

#48 HarukiTheSevenfold

HarukiTheSevenfold

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

Petaling Street? Alright.....I'll check it out. ^^
-The Bleeding Is Over-
Posted Image

#49 JokerXtreme

JokerXtreme

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

nice thread, *round of applause* to the people who create this FAQ, omedettoquestion here:1) when seeing a tailor, can i juz bring the photo of the costume or do i need to bring a blueprint / design of the costume??2) where the heck can i find keyblades for cosplay, LOL xDDthx in advance for answering
Posted ImageTamashi No Kyomei!!![spoiler=]http://www.facebook....XtremeBishounen[/spoiler]

#50 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Thanks. Initially in the old forum this thread was started by one of the mods. I just continued to this forum after that.

33. When seeing a tailor, can I juz bring the photo of the costume or do I need to bring a blueprint / design of the costume??

It depends on how good your tailor is. Did he/she used to make/sew costumes for cosplay before? Or just normal suits, dress, traditional clothes etc.Since if your tailor was the kind that did not mind the challenge/can think outside the box/creative, they could be able to do it with enough information.

If the tailor is a bit inexperienced, you might need to also provide more explanation about the costume so that the tailor could help you.

Thus, the things I usually prepare to give my tailors aside of the materials for the costumes:
- Picture/Photo of the costume/character I wanted to cosplay at every possible angle. Especially for costumes that had a lot of details
- A sketch of the breakdown of the costume. Or you could say the blueprint.

Like for example: For my Calintz (Magna Carta) costume, I told my tailor to just sew the basic form of the costume while I worry about the extra details (sidetails, sleeves etc). Thus, I sketched out the details of my costume that had the extra parts (that I assured her she wouldn't need to boggle her mind to do) removed so that she could have a better idea of what the end product would look.

Some tailors love it the more details you could provide them.

As for the second question, haha~ That one I cannot help. You can perhaps borrow it from some friends who had cosplayed KH before, commission someone or make it yourself. Or try your luck looking up at some of the few actual cosplay/ACG related souvenir shops overseas or local to see if they sell any readymade ones. Or lookup eBay, risky as it is.

#51 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

Well, granted it's been a while since I myself join competitions--mostly groups or as helpers for friends solo/duo comp. Anyone else wanted to add, feel free. But include the question number so that it's easy to refer which questions are being explained.

34. If I wanted to join a cosplay competition, group, duo or solo; what do I need to do?

Be in character.

That's the most important. Half the time people had answered as themselves and not the character when asked on-stage (before/after performance). Well, while this would depend on the judges... some would see that as being off character. I mean, by cosplaying yourself you're meant to also be in character all the time while you're on-stage.

And most of the question sessions the judges would test yourself of your knowledge about the character, so you'll need to really know your character well enough to be able to answer the questions AS your character.

As to what to do onstage, that depends on the cosplay competition's rule. Some of the simpler ones would require you to pose on stage. About that, you could try looking up any artwork your character was in (or magazines, if your character was from dramas, live actions, real bands/singers etc) in order to study the poses that they do. Since honestly, just because they ask you to pose doesn't mean you can just pose as anything.

You still need to do it in character. Some might require you to make a short skit. That had to depend on the rules stated. If there was a time limit, it's better to adhere to the limit as in not making the skit last longer than the allocated time. Aside from wasting time, it would directly affect other performances as well and stuffs.

I think by now I shouldn't have to repeat the part of being in character thing again. Even when you're crossing two/or more different series, you still need to remember that. 

Also, sometimes you get to be given things or random situation to act out spontaneously on stage. And YES. You need to be in character. Even when the items or cues are as ridiculous as Kurosaki Ichigo working in a maid cafe or having a character who doesn't talk being made to do things that would require them talk more. In such situations, you shouldn't just act out the challenges, but doing it as the character you're being.

The same as for cosplay chess or similar format. Truthfully, what you do onstage would depend on the organizer who would set the rules for the competition. There's not much I can say aside from staying in character and practice being in character even with people watching you all around.

Further FAQs was already posted on the previous posts.

#52 Ashalia

Ashalia

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

All right, seems like a lot of the questions here are for costume-making. Might I ask more on the after-costume-making part, the one that involves the solo/group cosplay competition?I just want to know; what happens when you're on stage in your costume? What do you do? What HAS to be done? I'm looking to join a cosplay competition (solo). It'll be my first time. I just want to know what happens on stage, that's all. :s
Posted Image

#53 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:46 AM

I'll be adding some things from the other thread I opened up if they apply to this thread.

35. I want to do some couple cosplays/photoshoots during events. Is there anything I should be aware about and not do,in case I might overdid it?
By couple here I would assume the cosplay meant being; it's related to canon and fan pairings from the fandom. That should include all types of pairings; hetero/gen, boyxboy/yaoi, girlxgirl/yuri, pansexual/rojak pairing aka anything goes.

If you want to do a photoshoot/or just pose for the camera that depicts the cosplayed character as being intimate with each other, out of common courtesy; please do it away from the area where the public crowd gathers. Not everyone enjoyed seeing public displays of affections (PDAs) out in the open. Even if it was fictional. Because unlike ilustrated artworks, there is a real person behind that cosplayed character. Those kind of things might be offensive to some.

The same could be said if you're planning to doing a skit onstage and wanted to include a pairing plot. In other words, it's not advisable to act out indecent scenes onstage. Some people might not be able to take it in.

36. I would like to make a performance onstage during an event. How do I know if that performance is appropriate for the event?
- if it's a band, recital or singing performance, it may depend on the songs performed.
- if it's a dance performance, you may need to ask yourself if it contained any element that may be offensive. If not, you're good to go! Another way to know would be to perform in front of mirror. It may sound silly, but it may save you a lot of embarrassments.
- if it's a skit/stand-up comedy act, you may want to do a test performance to see if your potential audience would like it.

-General Common Sense thread
http://forums.comicf...ad.php?tid=7795

#54 kaiya1022

kaiya1022

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

I'd like to ask something about Fabric/Textilesok, I know a lot of places that I can buy Fabric/Textiles from here http://forums.comicf...php?tid=6748but I'd like to ask, which shop is the cheapest and which shop has more variety of Fabric/Textiles?

#55 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:31 AM

kaiya1022> Depends on what you want actually. In the matter of pricing...that depends on the type of fabric you're buying so can't really say which shop sells the cheapest and vice versa. Like cotton or cotton-mixed fibre textiles would have cost less than say... pure silk. But in general, Kamdar and Nagoya could be considered among the lower-priced compared to say... Gulatis and other big stores.As for which stores had more variety of Textiles, that also depends on the stores. As well as the type of textiles they specialized in selling. It's been a long while since I've updated the sourcelist thread but if anyone would like to provide additional info of what type of textile available at any of the stores, feel free to contact me.Sorry that I could not help much on that.

#56 kaiya1022

kaiya1022

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

o.....it is ok~ then I think I will go to a shop which is near for me, Thx ~

#57 morgana

morgana

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

I have a question about photography.Sometimes I see this really nice pictures taken by really good photographers at comic conventions. Since I usually cosplay alone, I'd like a nice photo taken as a momento of the cosplay. Is it alright to ask them to take one? Or we have to wait for them to take interest in you? I'm not sure of the protocol involving this. About photoshoots as well, I'm quite curious where newbie cosplayers find photographers to take photos...
Cosplay list 2012
Spoiler

#58 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yes, it's all right. You just have to approach any one of them in forum or during event to see if they don't mind helping out to take your pictures.

There are several well known photographers in the community that you can ask. I'm sure they won't mind it, unless they have their hands full with other groups' photoshoots.

Forgot if there was a thread listing the photographers in this forum, but you can look around. Most of the time, photographers just take pictures of cosplayers that they happened to stumble across or may try to look for people they knew during the events. But with events attracting a lot of attendees each year, there would be chance that they might missed you. So yes, you might need to take the initiative to approach them.

Cosplay photographers aside, you can also ask CF Photographers (or any official photographers of any other events) to see if they don't mind taking a picture of you. Some photographers occasionally open up photo-booths during events, so that cosplayers could go have their pictures taken there.

#59 SoraYuki

SoraYuki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi there~~would like to ask if were to cosplay Hatsune Miku with an ordinary aqua coloured, grey skirt seifuku, will that be still considered as cosplaying?
><~~~ sorry to asky such a weird question, but it kinda stuck in my head, since im new in cosplaying and suffering on low budget~ ><!!

#60 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

SoraYuki> I'll be taking the same stand as I had with previous question about the bulter!Vegeta. As long as you had the Miku appearance and characteristic accurate--for a Vocaloid character--it should still be cosplaying as a Miku, regardless what outfit you're wearing. Just... if you're asked about the what version is the character taken from, don't claim that you're doing any certain version or your own OC version or something, unless you ARE doing any of the specific versions. (Like Magnet version or the basic costume or something). Just say it's Miku wearing random outfit, so to avoid any unnecessary rage from avid fans.

It's a half-assed excuse but no one should dictate what other people should or should not cosplay, even if you're a fan. And especially if you're new to cosplay, one should not dictate that a beginner must spend a fortune for their first project. By which, occasionally some fans had ridiculous expectations about.

I'm not familiar with the Vocaloid fandom, but there are a lot of fans that were quite a stickler to accuracy of certain versions of Vocaloid character's costumes and dislike casual cosplayers who might wanna do any vocaloid characters as a starter cosplay project. And they might not be too nice about it so that's why I mentioned it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users