82 replies to this topic

#61 SoraYuki

SoraYuki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks a lot!! Really!!!! I'll take note on what you have advice me on about. Ya, im afraid to cause any misunderstanding if im to cosplay with this random outfit of Miku, but i really do like Miku a lot!!><
Anyway, arigatou gozaimasu~~^^

#62 missmewmew

missmewmew

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

just wanna ask ... i want to go to this years CF for the first time, and my friend encourages me to cosplay also to make it more fun, :D but you see, im a muslim girl .. after seeing pictures in AFA and other events, once they catch a glimpse of a girl cosplayer WEARING tudung.. they commented horrid things like "she's spoiling the events" and such.. i feel i little bit low in confidence.. i want to enjoy the event n cosplay, but bcox of these skeptical people im feeling down.. its true that we are restricted by religion, but not our passion ..>< what do you think?

#63 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'll take my stand as with my earlier reply to Sorayuki, if you want to cosplay something no one should put you down for it. While I know a lot of muslim girls who cosplays and wore wigs and such (yours truly being one as well); to others who want to cosplays as well and keep wearing their hijab/tudung, we really respect them for abiding to their religion. Besides, it's not like there aren't any AMG characters that had their heads covered, you just had to look. And improvise, if you can.

As to the incident you mentioned, I immediately recall one about the hijab!Miku. Well... to those that had bashed the poor girl... well, shame on them. From what I heard by friends who have chanced to meet her, the girl was nice. And I do feel her Miku was quite cute. I don't feel that religion restricts; if you have the passion for it you should be able to find a way to balance it out.

As for all of the so-called fans who liked to bash cosplayers like that, well that also happened to other cosplayers regardless they were muslim or not (or wear hijab and no wigs), fat or thin, pretty or ugly, black, yellow or white... there's no satisfying them. Don't let those kinds of people let you feel down about yourself. As long as you made the cosplay look nice and almost close in accuracy enough, it should be fine.

[Addendum]
Actually, in the past... I used to be slightly critical of people dressing up as characters from some animes while wearing hijab. Well, it's more like them wearing a store-bought costume that was not quite accurate in design and added with the fact they were wearing a white tudung, it's not helping much. Looking back, not really sure if I'm more miffed at the costume or the person at that time. (But i do feel that my distaste was aimed directly at the costume since it is inaccurate and the fact that the person also wore one character specific item as well. Had the person(s) not wear that item I'd normally wave it off as fans dressing up instead of cosplaying.)

Nowadays I tend to not let myself riled up when people do that. I'll just look away. Other people would certainly want to dress up as well. Nothing wrong about that. the one that actually 'spoiled the event' are actually the people who disses other fans the way you mentioned.

Though I disagree that coming to an event in cosplay makes it more fun; it's the same whether or not you cosplay. The 'fun' comes from interacting with random strangers and friends; having similar passions about the things they love, not because you cosplay and had people take pictures of you.

Edited by Izumi Ishtar, 30 October 2012 - 01:39 AM.

通りすがりの仮面ライダーだ、覚えておけ!」。Flame Izumi's albums, FF.N acc,

#64 missmewmew

missmewmew

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

wow thanks a lot izumi-san ~, that really cheered me up a little, ^v^ ill enjoy it to the fullest :D

about your past story,
i suppose that's really the common thinking of people, and hope that they will change their mindset, just like you :))
thanks again ~ ~
  • izz_t likes this

#65 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Pimping this, in case people don't frequent FB or Tumblr or not part of the Cosplayfun group

Craftmanship advices

#66 byakushit

byakushit

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I have a question.. About concealing and drawing eyebrows to match a character (mostly) is it like a must?
I dont mind concealing and then redrawing it but I never get a good result....
@byakushit
tumblr

cosplan 2013
mochizuki yuuya
natsume takashi shiki ver
gen

#67 Yuukii Chii

Yuukii Chii

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 634 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi there~~would like to ask if were to cosplay Hatsune Miku with an ordinary aqua coloured, grey skirt seifuku, will that be still considered as cosplaying?
><~~~ sorry to asky such a weird question, but it kinda stuck in my head, since im new in cosplaying and suffering on low budget~ ><!!

Usually I call that closet-play (I do that sometimes too, hahahaha), but maybe you have a fanart picture or video, I guess you can consider it as cosplaying~ :)

I think yes, as long as it is "costume playing"~ :3

Wigs, costumes, presales, merchandises and makeup box for sale

If interested please pm me thanks <3 

#68 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Yuuki Chii> As long as people don't go into competition with those ghettos, yeah it should count as cosplay. Esp. for first cosplay. At least ppl tried.

byakushit> It's not really a must. If you're good at redrawing/concealing the eyebrow, then do it. But if not... it's not a must. You have to also consider your own facial appearance so that to not accidentally make the brows looked too fake. It may enhance your cosplay or make it look bad. Same as any other eye makeup. If you do it right, it would look good. If not, it'll make your eyes looked unnatural.

#69 izz_t

izz_t

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hello, I would like to ask a few questions.

1)Is it possible if I want to cosplay an anime character that had been aired a long time ago because Im still new in this or should I just cosplay recent anime? Because i really dont want anyone to get mad at me of being outdated or anything, I just love the character so much!

2)I would love to cosplay as Agito from anime Air Gear but the character wears rollerblades or as they call it in that anime as AirTrek. However,since Im low in budget wise and plus it's difficult for me to roam around freely on it. So, should I just wear sport shoes to replace it or any wise idea on how can I have rollerblades? Just asking for an opinion. Tq.

#70 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hello, I would like to ask a few questions.

1)Is it possible if I want to cosplay an anime character that had been aired a long time ago because Im still new in this or should I just cosplay recent anime? Because i really dont want anyone to get mad at me of being outdated or anything, I just love the character so much!

2)I would love to cosplay as Agito from anime Air Gear but the character wears rollerblades or as they call it in that anime as AirTrek. However,since Im low in budget wise and plus it's difficult for me to roam around freely on it. So, should I just wear sport shoes to replace it or any wise idea on how can I have rollerblades? Just asking for an opinion. Tq.

1) Nope. If you want to cosplay old series or new ones just do it. There's no ruling that says you cannot cosplay old series. People who tells you that would be an ass.

2) Yeah... you can just wear any other shoes (sports, sneakers... that can be painted as in the anime) and make a detachable rollers from boards for photo shoots if you like~ Be creative. Plus if you wear an actual rollerblades in events that's not feasible to move and may cause accidents. Other cosers I know in the past do wear other shoes and if they do have roller blades along they only wear in when ppl are taking pics to pose~

#71 izz_t

izz_t

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

wow thanks a lot izumi-san ~, that really cheered me up a little, ^v^ ill enjoy it to the fullest :D

about your past story,
i suppose that's really the common thinking of people, and hope that they will change their mindset, just like you :))
thanks again ~ ~

MissMewMew, don't worry, soon everyone will change their mindset on hijab's cosplayer. Hope that this will help to encourage you to cosplay. This is Hijab's cosplayer from Indonesia, Matsurikara, she cosplay fabulously despite of her hijab wearing,so i dont think that should prevent anyone to cosplay. It's great!!! dea_36.jpg

1) Nope. If you want to cosplay old series or new ones just do it. There's no ruling that says you cannot cosplay old series. People who tells you that would be an ass.

2) Yeah... you can just wear any other shoes (sports, sneakers... that can be painted as in the anime) and make a detachable rollers from boards for photo shoots if you like~ Be creative. Plus if you wear an actual rollerblades in events that's not feasible to move and may cause accidents. Other cosers I know in the past do wear other shoes and if they do have roller blades along they only wear in when ppl are taking pics to pose~

Thank you for your advice!!! I'll be sure to do that in this coming comic fiesta.

#72 Ori

Ori

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

i have a question, can i bring my steel sword during cf? it is not sharp. because I only had this sword that i bought. I have the scabbard with me. Can i bring it during the cf event?

" It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

#73 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

You might have to ask the people in charge of the cosplay department again for this since I'm not sure if the rules remained the same or not. But this is from my years of attending CF etc. Referencing this post.

Normally, CF would not allow replicas or steel props to the event, sharpened or not. Due to safety and everything. Considering the crowd each year rarely decrease but instead increase. Accidents can happen. And it's not just for entering the event venue, but everywhere else en route. Especially nowadays when you see/heard news about people being mugged or attacked, police or any security officers would be wary of anyone brandishing weapon-like objects in public.

You're most likely be allowed to pass by a security guard if you're carrying a wooden weapon prop compared to a metal one. I'd know, because I too once been placed into such situation before I had to explain that my sword prop was wooden and not dangerous (and that I am attending a convention) and that I'll be careful when handling it. With replicas, it's a tricky thing especially if it was metal and looked very real.

While you might be able to use it when doing a photoshoot, you would have to ask the organizers if it was allowed to bring for the event. CF especially, will have a small counter for checking your props. And based on the specs given to them, they would decide whether or not you're allowed to carry it during the event.

Hope that answered your question.

• Ori likes this

#74 Nanahara Michiyo

Nanahara Michiyo

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hi , I am Malaysian and I'm interested in cosplay starting few months ago . But I do have dilemmas .

1) Is there any place in Malaysia that sell cosplay costume ? I'm searching for it but for now i failed to find any available store .

2) Is it ok to cosplaying but wear tudung or hijab ?

3) Lastly , do you call people that wearing yukata or kimono as a cosplayer as well ??

Thank you .

#75 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

First things first, welcome to the ACG community!!! XD

Okay answering this to the best of my abilities.

1) Well... since I rarely go out material shopping, I wouldn't be able to know if there were any new shops. Yes, new shops since plenty of places I knew back then that sells costumes are now no longer around. Like the shops at S&M Shopping Complex, since that place was closed until now. But what I do know, is that there's is at least two shops that you may find some costumes to buy. Do note, that there won't be a lot of varieties. Shops in questions are Sun Comics (lvl 3) and Cosplayers (lvl 6). Both are situated in Sungei Wang Shopping Complex. I heard there was a costume rental shop in Subang, but I never had chance to check it out so this is all I have. Not sure of places outside Selanger. But if you can go to Singapore, you might be able to find some more shops selling costumes. Just check my Cosplay Material Sourcelist thread, I did put down the name of the shops related. Do pay in mind that it's been a while since I compiled those data (and I took the SG shop lists from SGcafe) so some infos might be outdated. But I have gone to some of those shops in SG and they do have lots of costumes and stuff. And hopefully they're still around. I last gone there like.... six years ago.

2) YES. It's okay to cosplay with hijabs. If some otakus tried to talk you down just ignore them. It's not like you can't still be creative with your cosplays.

3) My personal opinion? Usually no. Unless you're cosplaying characters that DO wear yukata or kimono in the series. Like from Jigoku Shoujo series, Gintama, Rurouni Kenshin or similar animes set in Japan. It's like people dressing up in lolita, visual-kei and the likes. On its own, it's just dressing up. It only becomes cosplay when you're cosplaying (and basing your looks on) actual character or people like the Visual-kei band members, Kyary or any other anime or real life people.

Hope that answers your questions.

#76 Nanahara Michiyo

Nanahara Michiyo

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

Haha thanks a lot for welcoming me and give your good opinions ! I really appreciate it :D May I ask where you usually make your cosplay costume ?

First things first, welcome to the ACG community!!! XD

Okay answering this to the best of my abilities.

1) Well... since I rarely go out material shopping, I wouldn't be able to know if there were any new shops. Yes, new shops since plenty of places I knew back then that sells costumes are now no longer around. Like the shops at S&M Shopping Complex, since that place was closed until now. But what I do know, is that there's is at least two shops that you may find some costumes to buy. Do note, that there won't be a lot of varieties. Shops in questions are Sun Comics (lvl 3) and Cosplayers (lvl 6). Both are situated in Sungei Wang Shopping Complex. I heard there was a costume rental shop in Subang, but I never had chance to check it out so this is all I have. Not sure of places outside Selanger. But if you can go to Singapore, you might be able to find some more shops selling costumes. Just check my Cosplay Material Sourcelist thread, I did put down the name of the shops related. Do pay in mind that it's been a while since I compiled those data (and I took the SG shop lists from SGcafe) so some infos might be outdated. But I have gone to some of those shops in SG and they do have lots of costumes and stuff. And hopefully they're still around. I last gone there like.... six years ago.

2) YES. It's okay to cosplay with hijabs. If some otakus tried to talk you down just ignore them. It's not like you can't still be creative with your cosplays.

3) My personal opinion? Usually no. Unless you're cosplaying characters that DO wear yukata or kimono in the series. Like from Jigoku Shoujo series, Gintama, Rurouni Kenshin or similar animes set in Japan. It's like people dressing up in lolita, visual-kei and the likes. On its own, it's just dressing up. It only becomes cosplay when you're cosplaying (and basing your looks on) actual character or people like the Visual-kei band members, Kyary or any other anime or real life people.

Hope that answers your questions.

#77 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

^_^ And you don't need to quote my entire post to reply me. ^^;;

Where I usually make my costumes? Well... I rarely go out to make my costumes nowadays but I 'll answer this. But actually, I already did on the earlier posts of this thread. Second post, Question no 3. When I used to cosplay characters from anime/manga series, I joined with some friends to meet up with some tailors and commission the tailor to make my costume. And provide for them all the reference and textiles/materials needed for the making of the costumes, since I'm not good at making costumes from scratch. But nowadays since I mostly cosplaying from live action shows, I rarely go out meeting tailors since the costume parts I can get easily, and I can at least do a bit of clothes altering myself. How to find tailors that can make costumes for you? Well, you can ask around.

As was mentioned in that post, that's all how you can get your costumes; commission tailor, make yourself, alter, buy online/offline.

#78 Nanahara Michiyo

Nanahara Michiyo

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

Is it a must to wear lenses when cosplaying ? Like cosplaying Itachi Uchiha , do I have to wear the mangekyo sharingan lenses ? Yeah I know it will be awesome if I wear it .. But sometimes I tends to rub my eyes when it feels itchy so I kinda scared to put on any lenses TT.TT

#79 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:59 PM

Is it a must to wear lenses when cosplaying ? Like cosplaying Itachi Uchiha , do I have to wear the mangekyo sharingan lenses ? Yeah I know it will be awesome if I wear it .. But sometimes I tends to rub my eyes when it feels itchy so I kinda scared to put on any lenses TT.TT

Refer to question 25.

No. It's not compulsory. And contact lenses (coloured or patterned) often don't show well on flash photography unless you do take close-up profile pics. And you can always use photoshop to change/add the eye effects during post-image processing. 

#80 Nanahara Michiyo

Nanahara Michiyo

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

Yeah that's true . Most of the cosplayer we have to zoom in their eyes and see the lenses . Sometimes my eyes feel itchy and i tends to rub them . Well it is better to not wearing the lenses than rub my eyes while wearing lenses right ? What I know is Itachi's eyes are black in colour . The red eyes is when he activate his Sharingan right ?

#81 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:30 AM

Yeah that's true . Most of the cosplayer we have to zoom in their eyes and see the lenses . Sometimes my eyes feel itchy and i tends to rub them . Well it is better to not wearing the lenses than rub my eyes while wearing lenses right ? What I know is Itachi's eyes are black in colour . The red eyes is when he activate his Sharingan right ?

Yes. Itachi's normal eye color is black. And also... because sometimes, some online shops selling special lens may not be safe and might harm your eyes. So unless you have confidence that the seller is from a credible source, better skip the lenses altogether. 

Unless you're like.... doing for photoshoots or something. Because if just for events, having coloured lenses on is not really worth the trouble. Because unless your pics are taken at certain angle with some trick of the light, eye color don't always show up in casual photography.

#82 Nanahara Michiyo

Nanahara Michiyo

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

I want to buy a concealer for conceal my real eyebrow . Can someone give some tips or suggest a good concealer . My budget is between RM20-RM25 ..

#83 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

If possible can you open a new thread for this question? This thread is mainly for general FREQUENTLY ASKED cosplay/event related QUESTIONs so for anything specific like the one you asked that may require response from various people-- please open a new thread for that. 

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users