Photo

CF Trading Card Game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 saRay

saRay

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

Actually I have this idea loooong back before CF 2007 but since someone brought the tarot card topic up, I thought maybe I'll share this idea to everyone.Truth to be told, actually I feel pretty suck when I went to these conventions.Then I thought maybe if these guys start selling stuffs thats actually limited AND collectible AND interactable with each other,since everyone just sells their wares and shares nothing in common.So,I thought,how about TCGs?Since everyone have lotsa of OCs,this might as well work out as promotion for their works as well.Hows you guys think?Here's the basic gameplay I had thought of.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------3 types of cards are used in this game:1)Character/Monster2)Tech/Magic3) Field of EffectsBasically,each Characters card will have the following stats:1)Atk,Def and Mag. Each will be measured with stars, maximum 5 stars for each.These stars are used against each other according to the number of stars,moar is stronger.However,5 stars cards can be broken with 0 star cards (void),this is for the sake of balance.2)Penalty cost- whenever a card is removed from play,the playerneed to discard a number of cards according to this penalty cost from his/her deck. I think this up as a resolve since playing TCGs with lotsa of calculation might be a turn off for newbies.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------there's more rules on it, but I'll just watch the response first before explaining any further.Also,feel free to contribute any more idea on gameplay and card design.
site : http://hollowsaray.deviantart.comStigmata Stories: Digital Dream Saga (tentative) http://yumeisdream.blogspot.com/ (online novel.comment and actually change the story)*no siggy yet,be patient ne?

#2 hreaper

hreaper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

Err... not enough info.Do you want a game design discussion for card games or do you want illustrations of characters for tcgs?
Death once had a near-Chuck-Norris experience.hreaper@Blogspot - Real War Machine Suit

#3 saRay

saRay

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

hreaper>>well,basically we are going to make a new TCG game.We can all discuss about the gameplay,art and whatnot.Everyone can throw in their characters,so we can actually make it collectible and can be played.Also,maybe we can throw in some cards here so everyone can print it out and play anytime.It's just a free-to-play TCG.Except some doujinshikas here can make some limited-edition cards so they can sell them at their doujinshi booth whenever there's an event anytime.In other words,we can put wimpy cards to be downloaded here and the powerful/limited ones are only available at events.Don't you agree if we had something else to look forward at events other than doujishis and bookmarks?
site : http://hollowsaray.deviantart.comStigmata Stories: Digital Dream Saga (tentative) http://yumeisdream.blogspot.com/ (online novel.comment and actually change the story)*no siggy yet,be patient ne?

#4 FalseHero

FalseHero

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

I like the ideas~ã??And this seems intresting enough to attract my attention~noteã??-ã??I think I saw something like this in Genshiken manga~

I and the public knowWhat all schoolchildren learn,Those to whom evil is doneDo evil in return.

Sound of Fanatism | Me DA | September 1st, 1939 | N'AFI

#5 hreaper

hreaper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

Ok then. :)I think, instead of going off with game design first, perhaps it's better to think of a theme.With a proper theme, you can design the game around it.Take for example, Magic the Gathering. The theme is that you're a Planeswalker, a powerful being capable of travelling between worlds and summoning powerful creatures and magics.While Pokemon, you're a Pokemon Master challenging other Masters using Pokemons.etc.Here are some possible milestones we could set for desiging scuh a game.1. Theme - World Design (setting, story etc), Art Direction2. Game Design - Gameplay Mechanics (battle, collection, progression etc)3. Testing4. Game BalancingFor me, I would suggest perhaps a theme of anime/manga genres (meganeko, sentai, mecha, nekomimi, maid, esper, mahou shoujou, time traveller... :D)A world where technology and magic meets and different factions vying for power.
Death once had a near-Chuck-Norris experience.hreaper@Blogspot - Real War Machine Suit

#6 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

hreaper>> Forgive me if I'm butting in, but I'd like to chip in my 2 cents.Cent-1: About making TCGs, the cost of something like this is usually quite high. Designing aside, there is an issue about printing and cutting the thousands of cards involved (an average expansion needs 100~150 cards minimum and 300+ to really provide variety). At a beta level, everyone can still print and play their own cards, but once you start selling, it starts to get difficult.Cent 2: Starting from a theme is a good idea, but the game mechanics actually come from what's the player's role in the game and how the world battles. Using your examples, MTG is based on the idea of players taking up the roles of planeswalkers summoning, building and casting each other to oblivion (hence the spells, creatures, LP, and mana tapping), while players of Pokemon take on the role of Pokemon Trainers battling each other in a 6-win victory (hence the six-prize-pick-up whenever you knock-out your opponent's Pokemon). (There are also games like LoTR where players fight each other with cards that don't necessarily "do battle", but those games tend to be unnecessarily difficult)There are natural arguments about how a game should start, but personally, I find having a "story" always helps. Drawing an example from yours again, if you had a meganeko-sentai-mecha-mahou-shoujou-time-traveller game, the question then comes from what role the player is going to play, whether a "meganeko-sentai-mecha-mahou-shoujou-time-traveller" out to defeat another in a cross-time-battle-of-world-war-proportions, or a treasure-hunt-for-pika-vampires, or just a battle-to-collect-smexie-points. XPStill, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. I've tried my own hand at it a while back but found myself designing something more suited for the PC than an actual table-top. Gl Hf!!

I used to be witty, then I took a meme to an appendage and now I'm just lame.

#7 hreaper

hreaper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

Well, when I introduced the theme idea, I was hoping for more people to give input.But since you've ressurrected a thread that's more than a year old... you see how much interest it's gained, eh. :)So, anyone still interested?

#8 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

Lol... I've never realized the thread was so old.. XD;;;TCGs tend to be notoriously difficult to plan out... So I suppose that would explain a lot. XP

#9 Kilmasis Arcanium

Kilmasis Arcanium

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

I'd be interested. Though I'd stay away until someone drags me into it since I've a problem with card games and obsessiveness >_>;;Why not a CF theme, with people aiming to be the best in prizes, aka Doujin Booth winner, Cosplay comp winner, cosplay group comp winner, etc?CF could actually come up with new cards itself when introducing new competition formats. Like last year's One True Pairing can introduce itself as a new 'ruling' to the game.Of course, it sounds a bit old and whatnot... But what would be interesting would be having key CF people in these cards. Like "Kidchan, Funjoshi Deity" or "Kiraneko, Presidential Queen", kinda thing. I'm sure everyone's dreamed of their own card before :D
Posted Image

#10 hreaper

hreaper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hmm... well all this depends on their cooperation. Unless you want to make it in such a way that it becomes a symbol of popularity.New cards at every CF.

#11 hreaper

hreaper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

As I thought, no one wants to reply or throw any other ideas.If anyone's interested in starting such an activity, I would suggest that we all gather somewhere to discuss about it.

#12 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:07 AM

Lol... Personally, me and ezel have had some ideas on a card game. At the moment, both of us kinda have our hands tied to actually working out the details, and while it's not really a full-fledged TCG, the idea is to have a game which can work on its own with each set. (kinda like Munchkins) That way, it'll be easier for people to pick up the game and just play without the need to buy extensive amounts of cards~hreaper>> I know it's hard to find people interested, but lighten up bro~ It's not like we're in a rush or anything~ *brofists* X3

#13 Sanya16

Sanya16

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Card game playable over the Internet without paying a fee. This is in contrast with card game where you pay to pay to play, but a chance to win cash prizes, either large or small, depending on the game and the site you choose to access. There are many card games freeware sites on the Internet where players can download and play free card pack games.A cards used for playing card games. All cards are identical in shape and size, and each card has two faces, one being the face and one second behind.Mahjong dimensions

#14 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

Sanya>> I'm not sure if you're just spamming or actively trying to suggest a format to build the game on. XD;;