Photo

Character Designing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

Source: 20 Character Design Tips

1: Research and evaluateIt can be helpful to try and deconstruct why certain characters and their characteristics work and why some don’t. There’s no shortage of research material to be found, with illustrated characters appearing everywhere: on TV commercials, (unless your characters is purposely dull). Personality can also be expressed simply in how the character has been drawn.2: Design and planWhere will the character be seen and in what medium? This will have a direct bearing on how you go about your design. For example, if the character is for a mobile-phone screen, there’s no point designing it to have a lot of intricate details and features. Nathan Jurevicius says, regardless of the format, “The process of thinking up concepts always starts the same: paper, pencil, green tea... lots of thumbnails, written ideas, scratches and sketches over sketches.”3: Who is it aimed at?Think about your audience. Characters aimed at young children, for example, are typically designed around basic shapes and bright colours. If you’re working for a client, the character’s target audience is usually predetermined, as Nathan Jurevicius explains: “Commissioned characters are usually more restrictive but no less creative. Clients have specific needs but also want me to do my ‘thing’. Usually, I’ll break down the core features and personality. For example, if the eyes are important then I’ll focus the whole design around the face, making this the key feature that stands out.”4: Visual impactWhether you’re creating a monkey, robot or monster, you can guarantee there are going to be a hundred other similar creations out there. Your character needs to be strong and interesting in a visual sense to get people’s attention. When devising The Simpsons, Matt Groening knew he had to offer the viewers something different. He reckoned that when viewers were flicking through TV channels and came across the show, the characters’ unusually bright yellow skin colour would grab their attention.5: Line qualities and stylesThe drawn lines of which your character is composed can go some way to describing it. Thick, even, soft and round lines may suggest an approachable, cute character, whereas sharp, scratchy and uneven lines might point to an uneasy and erratic character. Sune Ehlers characters are bold and seem to dance on the page, which echoes his approach to drawing them. He explains: “Drawing a doodle is about decisive pen-manoeuvring. A strong line for me comes from strength and rhythm.”6: Exaggerated characteristicsExaggerating the defining features of your character will help it appear larger than life. Exaggerated features will also help viewers to identif y the character’s key qualities. Exaggeration is key in cartoon caricatures and helps emphasise certain personality traits. If your character is strong, don’t just give it normal-sized bulging arms, soup them up so that they’re five times as big as they should be!7: Colour me badColours can help communicate a character’s personality. Typically, dark colours such as black, purples and greys depict baddies with malevolent intentions. Light colours such as white, blues, pinks and yellows express innocence, good and purity. Comic-book reds, yellows and blues might go some way to giving hero qualities to a character.8: Adding accessoriesProps and clothing can help to emphasise character traits and their background. For example, scruffy clothes can be used for poor characters, and lots of diamonds and bling for tasteless rich ones. Accessories can also be more literal extensions of your character’s personality, such as a parrot on a pirate’s shoulder or a maggot in a ghoul’s skull.9: The third dimensionDepending on what you have planned for your character, you might need to work out what it will look like from all angles. A seemingly flat character can take on a whole new persona when seen from the side if, for example, it has a massive beer belly. If your character is going to exist within a 3D world, as an animation or even as a toy, working out its height, weight and physical shape is all important.10: Conveying personalityInteresting looks alone do not necessarily make for a good character; its personality is key as well. A character’s personality can be revealed through comic strips and animations, where we see how it reacts to certain situations. The personality of your character doesn’t have to be particularly agreeable, but it does need to be interesting (unless your characters is purposely dull). Personality can also be expressed simply in how the character has been drawn.11: Express yourselfExpressions showing a character’s range of emotions and depicting its ups and downs will further flesh out your character. Depending on its personality, a figure’s emotions might be muted and wry or explosive and wildly exaggerated. Classic examples of this can be found in the work of the legendary Tex Avery: the eyes of his Wild Wolf character often pop out of its head when it’s excited. Another example of how expressions communicate motions is deadpan Droopy, who barely registers any sort of emotion at all.12: Goals and dreamsThe driving force behind a character’s personality is what it wants to achieve. This missing ‘something’ – be it riches, a girlfriend or solving a mystery – can help to create the dramatic thrust behind the stories and adventures your character gets up to. Often the incompleteness or flaws in a character are what make it interesting.13: Building back storiesIf you’re planning for your character to exist within comics and animations then developing its back story is important. Where it comes from, how it came to exist and any life-changing events it has experienced are going to help back up the solidity of, and subsequent belief in, your character. Sometimes the telling of a character’s back story can be more interesting than the character’s present adventures… or not, in the case of the Star Wars prequels.14: Quick on the drawDon’t be afraid to experiment and ignore all the rules and tips about planning and crafting the look of your character. Going against what is supposed to be the right way of doing something could create unexpected and exciting results. When artist Yuck creates his characters he doesn’t really know what he’ll draw. “I just listen to music and draw the result dependent on my mood: freaky or cute. I always want to have a drawing that I find interesting. I then work more on the character after it’s okay with me and my brain,” he says.15: Hone, plan and polishInstead of just drawing or doodling without too much pre-planning, Nathan Jurevicius prefers to take a different approach. “I take a long time creating finished looking roughs and also thinking about how the character could be expanded beyond a 2D artwork, what the character will do in a specific world, and how it speaks and acts,” he says.16: Drawn in mudHaving decent materials to work with is useful, but not essential, for the early planning of your character. A lot of amazing characters were successfully designed years ago when no one had personal computers and Photoshop was just a dream. The drawings of your character should still work when rendered on paper with a simple pen or, as Sune Ehlers puts it, “The character should still be able to work with a stick dipped in mud and drawn on asphalt.”17: Real-world drawingIan, of I Like Drawing, generates some of his characters away from both the computer and the sketchbook, allowing outside elements to influence his work. “I really like characters that interact with their surroundings,” he says. “The environment normally suggests an idea and then I let my strange mind do the rest. I prefer drawing in the real world with a pen instead of on the computer, because it feels good and odd things happen.”18: Release the beastShow people your creations and ask them what they think. Don’t just ask whether they like them or not. Instead, see if they can pick up the personalities and traits of your characters. Find who you think is the suitable or ideal audience for your work and get feedback specifically from them about it.19: Beyond the characterIn the same way that you create a history for your character, you need to create an environment for it to help further cement believability in your creation. The world in which the character lives and interacts should in some way make sense to who the character is and what it gets up to.20: Fine-tuning a figureQuestion each element of your creation, especially things such as its facial features. The slightest alteration can have a great effect on how your character is perceived. Illustrator Neil McFarland advises: “Think about the meaning of the word ‘character’. You’re supposed to breath life into these things, make them appealing and give them the magic that will allow people to imagine what they’re like to meet and how they might move. I think it’s strange how creating characters for the sake of it has become a distinct branch of graphic design.”

and now let's discuss about character designs. Be it your originals, existing characters and the process of designing. Can give your own tips and advice as well.

#2 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

basically those tips above covers most of the things so I just talk about my personal experienceI must agree that sometimes, great characters are born when you aren't thinking too much about the restrictionsanyway, for the mangakas wannabe, I suggest the char designs should be simple but yet striking; design your character that way will make your life easier when you draw the char, unless you love the char or work very very fast or the char doesn't pop out that often, the effort in your design will kill you in term of workloadmaking it simple also means errors don't pop out that easily when you need to draw a lot of the same chars, you are not God, so don't try to think yourself as one, humans make mistakesthe no.16's Drawn in mud are answers to most young artists who wanted to draw manga but wondering which tool they should use; it is not what tool to use, but what tools you prefersno.17 is quite a challenge, it's quite easy to make a cut and paste character scene, but to make the character interact with the scene and vice versa, that's the hard part no.18... well, since you create the character, you have the right to speak up for him/her; being either too passive or too aggressive in this will not be helpful as you can't listen to others' suggestions nor ignore them the whole time; If the audiences is going the wrong way, you need to guide them back on track, but if you are going the wrong way, let them guide you back on tracklast of all, anime and manga is more than 2 guys that makes the audiences scream "OMG that's so gay!" or draw an underage girl so some buddy will "die of MOE-ness"; even if peoples misunderstand the culture of anime and manga, you are just strengthen the misconception deeper that way, if you want people to not think all anime or manga is plainly design for fetishes, start thinking how not to make them think so
[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]Night Maiden

#3 Pepper

Pepper

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

example please

#4 RajRize.J

RajRize.J

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

Ah the arts techique of designing a character . Theory as above stated very true . Perhaps , anyone would like to present an example , steps by steps of making a character ? . it would be great if theres visual example so everyone would understand better =)

#5 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

hmm i'll try making one when i have time. Now to pick which character of mine should be taken as an example ^^;But sometimes the way i design does not follow step by step like the fist post stated. Sometimes personality comes first before backstory. Cos backstory can sometimes effect the appearance of the character. If you start drawing first, the design may effect the backstory as well.Other than that costume design or physical appearance may change/alter as i improve my skills or when i try to develop their stories (in my head). Final designs can't always be achieved in just one day. Some of my characters took one year to have themselves finalized. Why?Well, in initial designs, i tend to draw something more simple and whatever that pops in my head. Most of the time, I do no 14 (quick on the draw) after thinking up of a character. I do research later... once I find a cool design I decided to put them on my OCs. Not only research, but also something I encountered randomly.

#6 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

I can make 1 but I dunno if people will be happy about it

#7 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

anyone can post tutorials and their own tips. different people, different styles. hopefully can give beginners some ideas and inspiration. Don't expect people to follow them 100%. i say go for it.

#8 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

okay, this might be boring since I start from the basic of char design1st thing to do when designing your char is to draw a empty figure without any special features added to it[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]then I shall start explaining different hairstyle affects people's 1st image on your char, this image is more direct upon female chars, I'll explain a bit about male's afterward; the condition is purely personality and not influenced by extras (eg. school rules etc) and the explanation is quite stereotypical ones1. very short hair that short like guys: normally the girls with this kinda hairstyle are defined as tomboys, they rip themselves of the basic signature of being a girl and strive themselves to be like boys or even better than the boys; or due to family members, where the girl grabs more traits of being a boy than being a girl; or for those who just think long hair is quite a bother to them; these chars' personality is normally more aggressive than normal girls, but not a must2. straight cut, think the jigoku shoujo type of hairstyle: this hairstyle normally applies to mysterious girl or quiet girls, but it also applied so the character look elegant, or helps the character look more Japanese in a way. And sometimes the character is quite bound by rules and is a perfectionist3. twin tail or single hair pops out: before you think "tsundere!" of twin tails thanks to Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion, it was applied to characters with childish personality. Normally characters with twin tails are naive, childish and self-centered like a kid; the main point of twin tail or the single hair pops out is not being beautiful, but instead, being cute4. long hair: quite a universal hairstyle among girls; and very long ones are normally thanks to the authors' fetish. 5. hairstyle that shows the forehead: normally applies to characters with high self confident of showing her look and her abilities6. pony tails: normally divided into 2 kinds, 1 is higher and another is lower; the higher type normally applies to girls with more aggressive personality while still proud of herself as a girl; the lower ones are normally applies to girls with more passive personality, but it doesn't mean the character has lower self-confidence7. half long hair style: normally the length is around the shoulder, another universal hairstyle for girls, however it does have the effect of making a character with more motherly figurefor guys, sorry I dun prepare the pictures for it, however- spiky: needless to say, normally guys with spiky hair are easily refer as punks, like their hairstyle, they are normally more aggressive- hairstyle that shows the forehead: same as female's explanation- long hair: normally applies to guys with cool personality or something to hide in the past, and sometimes applies to guys with lower self confidence or like the short hair explanation for girls, as the guys rip themselves of their very signature of being a guy, you can say the character might be girlishthere is 1 that works with both boys and girls that covers their face with hair: normally this character has lower self confidence, but can also applied so the char look cool and mysterious or something to hide under the hairalthough you can go very creative on hairstyle and there's some hairstyle I didn't mention, just remember that if a char shows his/her forehead, normally the char has high self-confidence(unless you talking about baldies); if the hair is spiky, normally the char has more aggressive personality; if the char covers his/her face, normally they have lower self-confidence; if a char's hair is messy, normally it means the char is quite carefree and doesn't care much about his/her image, pretty much a rule breaker as the character cares more about his/her freedom, vice versa for oppositenot only the hair part helps in expressing your chars' personality, I believe most of you must know that the eyes also play an important role in expressing your char, so this one here is for the beginners[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]basically there are 4 standard type of eyes, the regular big eyes, lower eye "tails", higher eye "tails" and the type which has really small eyes available for creating your charsand at the side are examples of hairstyle works with charsand at the bottom are examples of eye expressions, I believe that the characters' eyes expression alone should have the ability to tell what's happening even without the eyebrows; with more understanding of the eyes expression, you can enchant the effects of your chars' expression through the eyes of the char other than the eyebrows and mouthhowever, the basic head and facial part is the furthest part you can go without planning, so unless you only planning to make a head portrait with naked shoulder, I suggest you put down your pencils and start thinking about the charwhat should the char wear? why is it the char wear the clothing? which dimension is your character in? how does your char acts beside in the portrait? what kinda body should your char has? how is it your character different than a random anime boy/girl? which age group is your target?those are the things that gives you idea for what you can draw next, not to mention the extra details you can add to the charhere's one of the random character that I actually gave them details that they becomes quite lively afterwardshttp://hellangelz.de... ... t-59252990at 1st, I was just thinking about a warning sign in my drawing folder, I like mech girls and so do girls with animal ears so I do an mech girl X kemono girl, I can go quite overboard here as I dun let kids touch my folderand then from there, I ask myself- what's the relationship of the mech girl with the kemono girl?- if they lived together, then where?- do they have any more friends?- what are they doing normally when not drawn by you?- how do they 1st meet?- why do they stay together?- what caused them to act in current state?- what do they do in order to get basic surviving resourse?- what are their ambitions?then tons of "what if" to fill up the blanksnow, you can actually see the profiles of the chars at the later pictureshttp://hellangelz.de... ... p-86669900and I'm adding more details in later pictthose are one of the part that you make your char yours, which also part them from random anime guys/girls to someone's character named XXX; however, do not ever claim characters you-know-who-draws-it yours unless it is a coincidence that your character looks like someone else's char; Even so, you should work out so your char will be unique rather than look like someone else's charok, I think I have spoken out what's in mah brain, feel free to fill in the blanks

#9 Pepper

Pepper

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:46 AM

PersonalStarting from the basicsMost people start drawing from the head, so the first thing we notice are usually the hairkk Hair, u decidedLong shortStraight Curl or something in betweenSharp flat tilt tipsthick lightheavy lightgravity antigravitythen the next thing we notice is the facemay it be er... whatever you have in mind, most people took the oval sharp or the sharp jaw aka generic shitround, square, whaever, you know.. you can jut find it in any tutorial anywayBodystylek let's see you got the, the lolicon, you got the shotacon, you got the bigboob smallboobflatchest, flacid chest, big croutch small croutch super croutch this that blah blahas long as you cant draw a real human, you sucksand from the bodystyle you can basically workout how the leg should looks likeif you character's fat then legs or arms be fat, if skinny then let it be skinny, and srsly i have yet to met anyone who has fat body with skinny legsoverall what i'm trying to say is...what's big goes with big, what's small goes with smallif the guy is fat, hey he can has strong huge arms,if the guy is small and has a big muscle arms i'm gonna smack the hell out of you or.. i'm just gonna laugh at youHarmony..Idea of harmonythat is the reason why i want to smack the hell out of youor laugh at you.It is something that depicts either your design is pretty or up right disgustingly uglylet's see... for example a guy who's thin and tall... well his arm is thin and tall, his face is thin and tallhis personality is.. lol thin and tall yeah you get the idea... if ya confused looks up to er... best example airgear, they have lots of characters that at least doesn't looks the same.here's a couple of guidelines you can look it uphttp://news.devianta.../article/38733/http://news.devianta.../article/51670/http://maidith.devia...urnal/15788173/http://www.hollylisl... ... kshop.htmlhttp://conceptart.or...ead.php?t=81332k here's something that you should feel bad about yourself and start doing something "nice" instead of repeating the same shit over and over again[edit]here's a couple of example i didProtip: doodle more experiement more[spoiler=]Ideas on armour designPosted Image[/spoiler][spoiler=]trying things out like why is japanese far better then usPosted Image[/spoiler][spoiler=]things you saw on TV, try to draw them out too, get the general ideas downPosted Image[/spoiler][spoiler=]yupPosted Image[/spoiler][spoiler=]and yes... yupPosted Image[/spoiler]

#10 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

pepper, the last deviant link doesn't work anymore

#11 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

I'll state how i design characters here. It may not follow the 20 tips or be same as yours. like i sed, different ppl have different way of designing and developing your characters.Firstly, to design characters, i do not force myself. Sometimes i do, but most of the time it doesn't work (probably only a few characters work out). I let inspiration come by seeing and experiencing things. Some characters are created based on how i feel, and i want to use them to represent some part of myself to convey certain messages.Then, i consider what type of environment, era and culture that character is gonna live in. S/he may not be living in the same place or time as I do, maybe in some other world and other century. Here's when I have to do friggin serious research about eras, cultures, environment, climate... and most importantly COSTUME. Other than hair, costume theme plays a big role as a character trademark.Before costume... consider the climate of the place he is living in. or the place of origin if he is an adventurer. In a snowy or cold climate, the chara should have thick clothes, wear long sleeves, scarf etc. In a tropical area, give thinner fabric, probably less cloth (?). Other than that, the culture of belief. Ah i think element of harmony my include here. If the chara comes from a tribal community, the people's costume might probably need certain significance (example: tribe symbol, clothing pattern, styles). Also... consider what is the occupation of the character. If the character is a magician, don't give him armour la >__>. Even if the character is a battlemaid, make sure the maid costume looks good enough for combat.Hair... hell angel oredi explain. But you can break the stereotype if you wish. Nowadays hairstyling is difficult for me... cos i wanna try my best to differentiate my OCs with existing characters in terms of hair design. But then i can't force myself... that goes for the other option..Facial features! You can make your OC look different from existing characters (with same hair or almost the same costume) by varying how your character looks. Most anime/manga characters have almost the same size of eyes, face shape, nose and mouth. To me, it's BORING. Cos it's like seeing so many twins/triplets/quadruplets with different hair colour and clothes. Don't make a Japanese character look like European and vice versa. Of course, body shape is important too. Look at ppl all around you, do they have the same body shape? NOT.character Personality.. is not my last step. But it's a step that i keep in mind from the beginning to the end of the process. What colour to give, how much cloth should the character wear, how much accessory, what weapon yada yada. Usually i give my OCs monochromatic, abstract or contrast colours - easy for me to remember. However, these colour themes are more suitable for supernatural and fantasy genre. I neglect these if I intend to do something more realistic. But i prefer the said themes if i wanna make my OCs stand out.RESEARCH!Believe it or not, it's often the last step of my character designing process. YEah i know its weird. But thank goodness my chara design is never finalized whenever i start doing this (cos i put on basic clothing first). By researching, i can modify my character designs in different ways. Not only do i research for stuff related to characters, but also for the storyline, culture, environment etc etc.BUT, i will do research first if i wanna draw a character based on another story; be it fiction or non-fiction. For instance, characters from novels, a biography of a historical figure, mythological beings.Finalizing the character design takes time. Like i said earlier, i need to come accross something i find cool which makes me decide to give my characters what i find. For physical appearance, personality and character development. but I'm focusing on designing the appearance right now. I'm not the type that will immediately draw a comic if i already have some OCs. That's why I can have my own sweet time to finally achieve an satisfactory character design. ^^Sorry i don't have any diagrams to show. D:Shall we move on to character development next?

#12 Openlor

Openlor

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

ouh man- when come to this, I'm the worst XDDDlessie, first I'll scribbles- If I like any, I'll take 'em as a char,personalities? Wrote lotsa them on paper, blind fold then random point, LMAO! XDDDDFinaly, a lil tweak to suit 'em to the story-(of course, I usually creat one if and only if I'm working on a story.)---do not follow me, I'm a bad example XDbut after reading y'guys' post, I'm thinking to try out those tips. maybe I'll try to create some and post 'em here?

#13 HonooNoKarite

HonooNoKarite

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

As how I do design my characters... I will take the simplest ones of my characters to boot hereMuch like hellie, i recently started my own comic thread there in WIP thread (lol shameless self-promo 8D), but only because i feel like itThe protagonist is Ryou Gendo, a direct reference to someone I know in real life.So that means while designing, when you don't have any other idea on what to do, you can try to take random person and use him/her as your base :3So how the design goes?I use these information as my guide.- His name: Randomly thought to suit the necessary modifications. Ryou Gendo is a direct modification of my coursemate's online nickname (which I shall not reveal unless someone remembers his address that I "exposed" on my old dA account, the fire-doused account). I could've used that original nickname but if I do, that will expose to that one real dude that I am using him as a character in my comic. Whether he minds or not I have to hide that fact from him for now. I'm just inspired by him, not putting him directly inside there :mrgreen: (tak gune punya member :) ). Maybe when the time's suitable I will reveal to him either direct or indirectly.- His looks: Since I am referencing a real-life person I tried to use my style to create a comical version of him. Ryou Gendo possesses normal black hair with a little slab of white on his hair because the REAL guy had it as if he painted some hair of his white, ONE BY ONE; although that was an unexplain natural occurrence.- Clothes/Costume - My original plot was to have him star as a typical "comedy romance anime high school dude" you'd see on some series, and his uniform was references by using several screenshots since I lack CG collections of high school boys to begin with.- Personality - As a delinquent I suppose he'd be pretty much laidback and doesn't care much about classes. Also, as referenced from the original IRL dude, he seems not to welcome sudden intrusions into his privacy especially when he's sleepy. On the other hand, though, he's a good guy and is pretty much fun to talk to, as how I see him interact with another "stooge" (I call my coursemate "stooges", including myself). Using these traits I applied the same personality blueprint to Ryou.- Character development - The aim of my story is to see some improvement to Ryou's delinquent attitudes, making him skip classes less and most importantly, since it's a HAREMU COMIC, improve his interaction with the opposite sex although making him becoming a couple with one of the female characters won't be so necessary to further push his development.When I design a character I always go spontaneous freehand style. If possible INSTANT FREEHAND SKETCH AT ANY COSTS. Even if it requires a lot of geometrical shapes to form something like a mecha etc. And with picturing Ryou with all the aforementioned set of information in mind my hands work it all out delivering the final product, a character named Ryou Gendo, the delinquent.And, man - if the real life dude doesn't have that "I'm too tired to go to class" attitude and his... uh, unique looks I doubt I'll ever use him as a reference to creating a character. Huhahuhahuha.

#14 snowangell88

snowangell88

Gamer Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

oh well the character design depends on how fast & creative it is...just do more reading and look up some nice fashions and play with it ^^ ;;;; i always do that... copy ...well not advisable, if your trying to design something original basically!

:heart:  :angel: :heart:

#15 kchikage

kchikage

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:47 PM

I wanna share my experience too~~When I design a character,First a short story line or a scene will come in my head.then, spontaneously char will appear in my head (I'm visionary brain type).then, I just take up a pencil and draw.I have a problem is, when I scatch, my char will go alien... =.='''And I onli start with the eyes first. ~.~Sometimes couldn't catch the angle.. 0.0When write draft on a paper, story will go tangle... -_-lllThat's how I create a character.The story rolls in my head. I just have to draw it down.Personality: as the story rolls, of course the personality is already fixed ^^

#16 OneWinged

OneWinged

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

It depends on how the idea came first to me. Usually the character is "born" are from doodles which I kept & later built story around them with minor changes. Eg Xerone came to "life" after I was overdosing myself with fanfic, game & anime related to gunman & doodle him out of boredom. Then the story abt him came along, including his personality, his comrade & his obsession of sweets based on a chibi-looking doodle of him eating chocolate & sweets around him. I made some research on type of gun that suitable to him & at the same time related.However it's different for Light & Dark, M-kun & the rest, the story & concept came to me first then the characters are "born". usually phrases, situation etcI kept a book detailing their personality, research, references related to the characters. I also ask around for for their personality & past (in this case Xerone-kun & Sachou, I never feature him yet), letting them stating their opinion abt the character & built story around them.
my sephy got objected by Edgey~~~Posted ImageDeviantart- DreamTeam - LifeJournal

#17 DreamWalker

DreamWalker

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

My general steps for character designing:1. Storyline [Helps to bring out the character]2. Character's appearance [a charac look will struck into my mind & mostly of my designs are based on personal taste =v=;, especially the main character]3. Character's status4. Character's personality5. Sketch the character [the most extreme part!!!]TADAAAAA!!! & Your character is born!!! Muahahahaaha*evillaughs*One of my OCs:Hades Gates [my most fav charac]As snowangell88 said, yeah, doing more researches does helps *nods*
Dreams do not vanish, so long as man do not abadon them. + DreamWalker's Sanctuary +.: DA

#18 Umina.Bisu

Umina.Bisu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

hmmm... characters design... I only have a few concept to follow after planning my own original manga (which is still in progress)... 1. ASAP - As Simple As Possible!!! (costume, build... etc)2. Kick out the side-kick, friends, monster of the day... etc ...those un-important characters.3. Be different! Unless, you wanna make a common character.

#19 chiaki89

chiaki89

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

my character design is depend on the story..... the characteristic in story......just make it as easy as could be....

#20 iwashi-kun

iwashi-kun

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

my characters are born randomly due to sudden inspiration or something that occured in real life XD I always had a problem naming them tho ;3;

#21 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

lately i tend to design characters first before thinking of a story.sometimes the story idea is already born with the character... or maybe just the character's objective. From the objective, then we can construct the storyline.sometimes i have trouble giving names too. I tend to spent hours looking for a name for one chara.Certain times i will just give random things i tot of...

#22 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

better think the name carefullycause the character is bound with the name whether you like it or not, unless no one else but you know the name

#23 HonooNoKarite

HonooNoKarite

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

lately i tend to design characters first before thinking of a story.sometimes the story idea is already born with the character... or maybe just the character's objective. From the objective, then we can construct the storyline.sometimes i have trouble giving names too. I tend to spent hours looking for a name for one chara.Certain times i will just give random things i tot of...

... If you have quite some trouble finding names I suggest you should assign them temporary nicknames which, could remind you of how your characters are like in terms of some attributes such as physical looks, behavior, etc etc...... and probably that nickname will help you to construct some names, if not too... uh, "stupid-sounding" for them.e.g: A character I drew is meant to be recognized because of his bald head but I can't think of a name for him yet, I might as well as call him "Botak." Then suddenly I got an idea from that and gave him the name "Lee Bo Tuck."One word, even a nickname, can work wonders in helping make a name for your character. 8-)

#24 Openlor

Openlor

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

It is important to have a story first yannoe!it's like the base of all the things. Plus, it'll be easier as you alrdy know what role the character gonna play in it. Even the naming problem would be solved easily.another way is to make a little practice. what I do is to go to random name generator website, then fill up the biodata questionnaire, and base on that, design visually 3 (or any number u want, but I preferably 3) character u think suits best with the questionnaire. finally picks out the best among 3.ORgo to stock photos website, pick any pic of random leng cai or leng lui, then base on their appearance, create a personality and give names to them. hope this'll helps, have fun making babies! ;)

#25 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:50 PM

... If you have quite some trouble finding names I suggest you should assign them temporary nicknames which, could remind you of how your characters are like in terms of some attributes such as physical looks, behavior, etc etc...... and probably that nickname will help you to construct some names, if not too... uh, "stupid-sounding" for them.e.g: A character I drew is meant to be recognized because of his bald head but I can't think of a name for him yet, I might as well as call him "Botak." Then suddenly I got an idea from that and gave him the name "Lee Bo Tuck."One word, even a nickname, can work wonders in helping make a name for your character. 8-)

yes i agree.A friend of mine suggested that too.but i tend to work hard, waste hours of my life searching for the best name XD.recently I go to http://www.behindthename.com/ to find meaningful names... well, if you want your character to have a significant meaning or relation to a certain subject. For instance. if your character is element of 'fire', you can take "Agni". But sometimes I alter the name into "Agnee" or "Agnia" etc.for my random named characters... i usually find their meanings or related name meanings later.. sometimes it comes out really funny XD

#26 devilz kid

devilz kid

Pokémon Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:57 AM

wait so that's why naruto wears an orange outfit... and never changes ^_^

-TheDollyEye contact lens (RM15~RM30) *ready stock*

-2nd hand/new items to be sold!! (Uchiha Sasuke wig, etc..)

Cosplay List:

Spoiler