Photo

realism?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#31 Openlor

Openlor

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

realism is really important for every artist that invloves thier arts in figure drawing. that includes anime, realism portraits etc etc. when you study realism, you'll get the point in how things works (body mechanics) , and how to have more stable foundation, accurate proportion, and a 'belivable' poses, and most of all, you'll be able to get what you want in your head. there's two kind of artist in this world.the book smart, the ones with knowledges and experience. who actually know what they'r doing, and have the potential to go far and wideand the street smart, who have exp through the industry or people around him/her but not much with knowledges. who mostly depends on luck.

#32 Zeru

Zeru

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

This topic has loads of good facts. Now I feel the need to do loads of research and realistic drawings :geek:

#33 oliveilence

oliveilence

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

watching movies really would help, since screen composition and shot angles are things that you would want to absorb to make interesting manga pages.YES.i feel like it..

#34 arju-naa

arju-naa

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

I think you're all kinda missing the point. It's not realism - realism is a style. It's drawing from life that you want, the skill that'll help loads in helping you develop your style. A lot of art schools will emphasize on this extensively - it's the first thing you'll ever learn in an art course. There's a lot of debate going on in deviantART about this so I'm just throwing in whatever I've learned from these debates. Sooner or later, if you began with manga style, you'll end up in a pickle as you find yourself getting stale. Drawing from life helps you break away from that. It allows you to understand things better, get a hang of light and shadow effectively, and help you develop the shape and form more accurately. If we're allowed to post links, I'l gladly post a very useful article I found on deviantART about this matter, which comes complete with examples. :pDon't go on a crash course, though - start little by little. I'm doing exactly that now. XD

tumblr_mmcf8hq40C1s5vajfo1_500.gif

If you have a dream, don't wait. Act. One of life's little rules. Got it memorized?

deviantART + Roleplay/ask Tumblr + Art Tumblr + Fancomic in progress

I'm open for forum signature requests~

#35 Xilence Swordswind

Xilence Swordswind

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

Reason for xilence who is FORCED to look at realism is simple, ANATOMY & PERSPECTIVE. People can say it is not important yet when comes to anatomy and perspective, realism will help a lot. Why? since realism has 3d perspective unlike other style so you need LESS TIME to learn drawing(obeserving, capturing, memorizing and ect) hence art course do it extensively as others mention above. More important if you are a mangaka or doujinka or comic artist alike. Since even Crayon Shin Chan has a sense of perspective. This is because doujins and manga "story" mostly based on life. Surprisingly you will notice there are different level in this. You will notice it when you try on POSING, POSTURE and ANGLE where sadly realism will began to be inadequate(not enough) for you. Next you end up looking at the real thing. More complex level will be ehemm.. I think I gone too far no? This apply not just to visual artist but all kinds of arts like writtings, story telling, singing ect.let us try something to experience it, let sayyyy... try to draw the whole HAND. basic first and then to the most complex posture/posing like holding or presenting expression. Style is free for all(whatever style you want) even if it is a rounded doraemon hand and you will see what Vegie mention above. Are you stuck? lol

#36 Raylorn

Raylorn

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes it's true..Because a manga/anime style is merely an exaggeration of realism..With knowledge in realism you can choose which part of the body to exaggerate..For example..Shoujo style eyes..(They are really huge)

#37 dragonreine

dragonreine

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

Personally I find that observation drawing (i.e. making drawings as close as what you see IRL) has helped my art in leaps and bounds. My style has mostly evolved from manga-like to semi-realistic, but even when deliberately drawing lineart, like what I've done here: [link] I find it much easier to construct a believable human face without the heavy need of "guidelines" like what most manga books advise manga artists to use. Now I just use the egg/sphere + eye/nose/chin guidelines to keep proportions correct, and even then sometimes I completely dispense with it. Which is a roundabout way of saying that learning to draw from life has allowed me to create more high-quality work, and also improve my drawing speed.
Posted Image

#38 Yaegiri

Yaegiri

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Before I went to the college of art and design in vienna, in the age of 14, I drew very girlish manga. Because we were young at that time, it was easy to force us to realism. Until today, I don't know exactly which helped me more out: Manga or art. I think, they both support me and each other. But to answer your question: Yes, especially the nude body sessions helped alot and a subject called "Original graphicdesign", which is like drawing print stuff with ink and pens, helped me to improve in inking.But well, I was really young that time, that's why I don't remember exactly. It all went wirth the flow.
[align=center]Posted Imagevia tumblr[/align]