22 replies to this topic

#1 gundam_sniper

gundam_sniper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:53 AM

need advice for drawing technique especially when drawing backgrounds. hv subject with no backgrounds makes my artwork too shallow...anyone can help.some tips and tutorials is okay...
see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil

#2 hell angel

hell angel

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:26 AM

well dude... basically, get a photo reference of background if you dunno how or where to start(do not argue with me on unsuitable photo scene, I believe you are not so dumb that I have to teach from ABC)then there's 2 way for you to do it1st way will be the easiest way and for when you're desperated to finish the work only-go and photostat the photo you found into desirable size and trace it(DO NOT FORGET TO CREDIT THE REFERENCE IF THE BACKGROUND PHOTO IS NOT YOURS)2nd way will be harder and useful for your training in background-what else? analyze the photo and draw it yourself larh!
[spoiler=]Posted Image[/spoiler]Night Maiden

#3 gundam_sniper

gundam_sniper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

haha...thnx angel...u r my saviour.XDXDu rite...practice makes perfect.

#4 RajRize.J

RajRize.J

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

There's several method . Take example of any scenery u can find outside . Observe what u see . The objects , the colors , the composition , and the mood . Sketch a rough object out if u can't really exactly remember a particular part about the scenery . And slowly think about it . How does the certain object form , what color there is on the scenery . If u don have a subject , Make one . Be it , a Theme . Fantasy ? Sci-fi ? Gakuen ? Horror ? or come out a concept . Then Search for several references to understand and observe the diagram . Take your time , don rush it , keep it cool and observe . Learn and understand . Background could be anything . Now it will depends on u to pick up that tool and use ur own sense to come out one . everyone has a different sense =) .

#5 Angel

Angel

Advisor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

If you have the time and a digital camera...Go around places and start snapping pictures! You will be collecting a whole loads of background images for your own reference! If you can use design softwares (Photoshop, OC, etc.) you can also turn your photos into B&W images and viola! There's many many way to do it, all you need is EFFORT and PRACTISE.

#6 Ciku'nk

Ciku'nk

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

ya....or if u didnt hav any camera to snap picture...bring along ur sketch book wenever u are going...the size not to big...pocket size sketch book its enough...if u think that size its to small..use 2 page to make 1 picture.......that the way that i usually use to record the thing's that i feel interesting at.....watever...stone,wood,worm, texture etc....js sketch it.....

#7 gundam_sniper

gundam_sniper

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

thnx a bunch y'all!

#8 Pepper

Pepper

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

Posted Image

#9 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:44 AM

i have problems estimating the height of doors, chairs, cars an other objects (in background) for the character to interact with. D:any tips?

#10 Pepper

Pepper

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

Posted Image

#11 Iris.Zeible

Iris.Zeible

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

WTF PEPPER. CHANGE YOUR ICON NAO.Hmm yes, I sucks with background too. Tend to make things too flat or so--Like someone mentioned in this thread, photo reference will be good. I mean, draw + refering to something realistic is always good.Camera is not a must, maybe magazine pictures? Or internet's photo references.To practice a natural sense for drawing background-- you have to draw more. That's about it! I guess.
- Posted Image

#12 polychaete

polychaete

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:40 AM

How do you make good backgrounds?One word: PERSPECTIVEMaster this and backgrounds are easy.
ADVANCED LIQUID METAL REACTOR!!!

#13 LaMarionette33

LaMarionette33

Otaku CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:52 AM

I think perspective is hard to master.I never really draw background for my drawings.XD lol

#14 polychaete

polychaete

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:36 PM

I still haven't mastered it yet. But like everything else it's just a matter of practice.Even when not drawing backgrounds, knowing perspective helps in making your drawings less 'flat'.

#15 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:49 AM

other than perspective... gotta know the scales of something... and the details. the structure etc.

#16 Pepper

Pepper

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

just study perspectives and sooner or later you will get the idea of "scale"fun fact: " at least half of the "pro" artist who can draw really nice drawing? their background sucks

#17 snowangell88

snowangell88

Gamer Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

i have this one book call how to draw manga in putting thing into perpective..they use this call titik mati...we learn that in school. once you have that in your mind..you can arrange the prepective into order..i use that ..it helps alot! but honestly the book veli mahal.. RM70 one book...but only get what you need to improve on.

:heart:  :angel: :heart:

#18 polychaete

polychaete

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:58 AM

I don't think that you need a rm70 book to learn perspective. I have found some decent ones on the internet, but it contains some >18 pictures and I don't think I can post links. Other than that I believe that cheap 'lukisan kejuruteraan' textbooks should have the basic that you need. (I could be wrong, I didn't take the subject.) If you are really desperate and out of cash, just try a used book shop.

#19 HonooNoKarite

HonooNoKarite

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

I don't like drawing backgrounds myself, heck they take too much time for me to do just one, but theoretically here is how it is applied based on my knowledge...:Easy way to practice: Find a scenery to look at, use it as your target background, do live drawings of it.Then when you're done, you might want to practice this: imagine your target character in front of you, right in the scenery you want to draw, and draw it.Recommended practice a few times until you can envision an imaginary scenery of your own with your intended character in it.

#20 mahata

mahata

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:37 AM

sometimes you don't need real backgrounds. just play with the brush settings (opacity, flow, size, etc.) and stroke here and there, add a texture or two and it'll look waaay better than leaving it blank.you know, sorta like an abstract bg.
Posted Image

#21 kumaTARO

kumaTARO

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

Why do I get the feeling I've seen Vulpine Ninja somewhere before...I have a question...Do you guys have any good reference site for drawing BGs and perspective stuffs?
Posted ImageマシュマロIはたくさん好む!

#22 kamenazimV3

kamenazimV3

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

Try drawing boxes and then add the detail little by little :D
Daffodil Academy Student DetailsCharacter Name: Kazikirin Noir Year/Class: 4-A Club/Societies: American Football, Shooting ClubSkills/Weakness: Henshin into Kamen Rider NeoX, Animal Companion, Eagle Eyes, Able to make Rage faces.anything spicy, perfume, death.Inventory: Kamen Rider NeoX henshin belt, M-37 Ithaca, ItemPadPVP Mode: OFF

#23 Memai

Memai

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

I'll be frank; I hate seeing a nicely drawn character and the background is a b/w background with some filters added on top of it :\ It makes an already flat image look even more 2D and fake. Also, the depth and plane of the character in relation to the background isn't there.Instead~Practice! 360 Cities: http://www.360cities.net/ has panoramic pictures of cities ALL over the world, so you can pick a location and draw from there. It also has some interior shots as well, so you could also try those ones too :>Break down the buildings/objects into very simple shapes. Buildings obviously would have geometric shapes, so you can sketch them out quickly to place them and scale them correctly. You can always add detail in later :>Now for perspective? Try getting Google Sketchup, build up some blocks and see how differently the shapes/blocks look at different angles.An even better cheat? If you have either the Sims 2 or the Sims 3, build the location that you want on an empty 'lot' and take loads of screenshots from different angles. That's how I do it personally and it's worked nicely so far :> I've even gotten better because I have to pay attention to where everything goes and how things look at different angles :>Keep trying <3
Posted Imageich liebe nicht dich, meine frau, aber vielleicht werde ich eines Tages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users