#31 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

Dear Cosplayers

If you faint/pass out/have trouble breathing but refuse to take off your wig.

Go ahead and choke.

Because common sense. 

^ THIS XD

Cos seriously? Between your health and your appearance, do priotitize on health. Unless you guys think money can buy health then fell free to be stupid. BECAUSE COMMON SENSE. And don't you DARE cry or complain no money and stuff because you need to pay for hospital or meds or if your parents no more allow you to cosplay anymore if you still depending on parents for your livelihood. Idiots!

--------------------------

And back to the real reason I came back to forum. Since I found this post and it's VERY relevent to share and remember.

Original post from Cosplay Tutorial tumblr

Getting Convention Ready: Convention Budget

You’re packed and ready for the con, time to smash the piggy bank! How much should you be bringing to the con? 

Food

If you have been to the convention before, you probably know what is in the area and the prices of food. If you haven’t been to the area, use your google-fu to scope out what’s in the area so you can decide where you might be eating and plan accordingly. 

When I first started congoing my food budget was roughly $60 dollars. I didn’t stay at the convention overnight, so $20 covered lunch for each day. Anything left over went to my spending budget! Now I stay overnight, but my food isn’t counted in the “con budget” since I pay for food with my debit card. 

You can save money by bringing food with you. One year we had a hotel room and my friend brought a cooler full of sandwiches, salads and other foods which was stored in the hotel room. This is a great way to make sure you’re eating healthy, saving money, and not waiting in line at the busy restaurants! Another option is to bring small snacks to eat throughout the day, such as granola bars!

Hotel 

If you’re staying overnight at the con you’re probably paying for a hotel room and that’s going to take a bite out of your wallet! 

If you are in charge of a hotel group (you booked the room, other people will be paying you their portion) try to get the money ahead of time to avoid any issues at the convention. If you don’t get the money ahead of time, be prepared to cover the entire cost of the hotel room in case something happens and you don’t get your money

Hotels will usually ask for a deposit, especially if you are paying in cash, to be held in case of damages. The amount requested will depend on the hotel so call ahead to confirm! If you don’t damage the room your deposit will be returned at checkout.

If you aren’t in charge of the room, make sure that you have set aside the amount for the hotel room, and ask to see if the person in charge is also requesting people chip in for the deposit. 

There may be other fees for the hotel, so check the hotel’s website before the convention. These fees could be for internet access, use of the pool, or for renting movies. 

Getting Home / Emergency 

Always have cash set aside as “emergency” money. In case you lose your wallet, keep this money separately. 

Emergency money can cover a variety of things: if you lose your wallet, if your ride home leaves without you and you have to find your own way, if you get sick and need to purchase something at the drugstore. 

Spending

I suggest calculating what you need for your other expenses first, before deciding on your spending budget. That way if you are on a limited budget, you can make sure you have everything important covered and then use the rest for spending.

To get an idea of how much to bring, have an idea of what you are looking for. If you can make a “shopping list” then you have an idea of how much you will need to purchase it. The internet is a great way to get price ranges! For example if my shopping list is a tiger kigurumi (approx.$65) and a couple plushies ($15-30 each) then I would want to bring at least $125 to cover those, but probably more in case something else catches my eye.

If you don’t have a shopping list, bring the amount of money you feel okay spending in the dealers room.

Debit + Credit

Debit and credit cards are great for things like emergency funds, hotel and food money, because they generally are accepted outside of the convention. 

At the convention, few (if any) vendors have machines to accept payment from cards and the con itself might not accept electronic payment for tickets and other paid events. ATMs also empty very fast, even on the first day of the convention, so don’t rely on ATMs to be a source of backup cash! 

Bring enough cash to cover what you want from the con itself, and use the debit/credit card to cover stuff outside of the con. 

Edited by Izumi Ishtar, 02 December 2014 - 09:32 PM.

通りすがりの仮面ライダーだ、覚えておけ!」。Flame Izumi's albums, FF.N acc,

#32 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

This is something that I've talked about with friends before.

I've pointed this out on some of the very first post on this thread. About reckless cosplayers leaving their luggage unguarded. And a friend told me an incident where he saw such things and watch over the luggage while the cosplayer was away. Yet when the cosplayer returned and my friend tried to tell them to not do this anymore and say that it was risky to leave their valuables unguarded, said cosplayer responded with abandon... saying that they don't care if their valuables get stolen.

ARE YOU STUPID? DO HAVE COMMON SENSE!

To be honest, I do not care (no longer want to care for ungrateful kids) if cosplayers like these had their valuables stolen ended up stranded without a means to get home safely et al seeing these kinds of attitude. But you know what? Despite that I have an obligation to care and watch over kids younger than me.

Dear kids, do learn to NOT be stupid. Think about your parents! Do learn the value of money. Unless those valuables that you 'don't mind being stolen' was paid by money earned by yourself, do not take those things for granted! 

#33 KeiNiwa

KeiNiwa

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

I've read this post from the start till the most recent ones. Very useful tips for a first-timer like me XD

BTW, I'm not sure if this could be included, but some booths do have pre-orders for the stuffs they sell and allow us to pay 'em early.

To lessen the risk of bringing too much cash to the event, perhaps we can pre-order the stuffs, and claim the items on the event by showing the receipt or proof they provided after the early payment. ^^"

Visit me on Anime-Planet! ^^

KeiNiwa.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

#34 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:46 PM

I've read this post from the start till the most recent ones. Very useful tips for a first-timer like me XD

BTW, I'm not sure if this could be included, but some booths do have pre-orders for the stuffs they sell and allow us to pay 'em early.

To lessen the risk of bringing too much cash to the event, perhaps we can pre-order the stuffs, and claim the items on the event by showing the receipt or proof they provided after the early payment. ^^"

Oh? They do? Now that's interesting.

#35 KeiNiwa

KeiNiwa

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

Oh? They do? Now that's interesting.

Yep, I pre-ordered some T-shirts and keychains from several booths via FB. Some do have discounts on pre-orders ^^

Visit me on Anime-Planet! ^^

KeiNiwa.jpg
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

#36 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

Oh yeah... adding this as well. 

Original Link

Cosplay Survival Kit — The Basic Bag

These are tips on how to survive cons with minimal damage to yourselves, others, and your costumes, so you can have a good time! This here is a basic guide to what to carry with you in your bag so that you can avoid cosplay meltdowns or potential hospital visits!

What you should carry:

- Water!
We cannot stress the importance of water enough! Keeping hydrated a cons, especially summer ones, is crucial! Carry a refillable water bottle and take a swig from it often. If you are feeling thirsty, you’re already dehydrated!

- Emergency medicine (examples: ibuprofen and inhaler).
Make sure you carry medicine to help you power through sudden headaches, aching feet/back, and other ailments. If you’re asthmatic, make sure you have got an inhaler!

- Ace bandages and band-aids.
Ace bandages may be a female crossplayer’s best friend, but they are also good for sprained ankles and twisted knees. Carry an extra one just in case! Also carry bandaids for cuts, blisters, and scrapes! If you’re a girl, it’s a good idea to carry around sanitary napkins or tampons just in case your monthly friends decides to come calling in the middle of the con!

- Hair gel and deodorant
In case of wig malfunctions, carry a small bottle of hair gel or hair glue. Also carry around deodorant and re-apply it every couple of hours. Nobody wants to smell your b.o.! (Disclaimer: deodorant is not a substitute for a shower. TAKE AT LEAST ONE SHOWER A DAY.)

Invest in some business cards to give to your new friends! If you don’t have the money for business cards, carry around a notebook so you can trade tumblrs/deviant arts/facebook info with your new buddies!

Carry around safety pins for quick costume fixes. If you’re super ambitious, carry a small sewing kit as well, in case of rippage. The safety pins will hold your costume together until you can get out of the way to whip out the sewing kit!

Tissues are always a good thing to carry. Also, carry a small snack or sugary gum in case your blood sugar takes a sudden nose dive. Don’t forget to eat!

Finally get a nice sturdy bag to put everything in. Decorate it and make it stand out, so that if it’s stolen or lost you can identify it easily! (Putting a name tag on the inside with your contact information isn’t such a bad idea either!)

Other things you might want to carry:

Duct tape/super glue for quick fixes
A Cell Phone (and possible your Cell Phone Charger)
$20-$40 in Emergency Money
Your gaming device of choice
A small bag of make up for quick touch ups
sandwich baggies and Tupperware to organize your small things, like band-aids, safety-pins, tampons/pads, and sewing kits.

Please note that this is just a small list! You can add or subtract any of these items (thought we don’t suggest you subtract anything). Customize it to fit your needs!

• KeiNiwa likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users