Photo

Comic Fiesta Asks: How Much Can You Earn From Drawing Comics?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Coffy

Coffy

Comic Fiesta Committee

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

Head over to our official website to read the write-up.

This is the most important question asked by anyone who is thinking of drawing comics for a living. We wondered that, too. So we went and asked Mr. Terence Choi, Managing Director of Art Square (publisher of Gempak and Comic King) to give us the facts.And he did. It's an illuminating read, worth bookmarking and sharing to anyone in Malaysia who loves comics.Join the discussion here! Perhaps you have your own piece of advice to offer here. Perhaps the information presented in the article is wrong? Whatever the case may be, feel free to join in the discussion and give your own 2 sen.

#2 LWY

LWY

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

I've been offered rm30 per page before. I did it anyway. At the end, I was almost paid rm20 per page. Had to remind the commissioner that the agreed rate is rm30 per page, and he said "Oh sorry I confused you with another artist". Well gee, someone accepted the job for rm20 per page even, that's a pretty sad thing.I'm a pretty bad recluse when it comes to exposing my artwork. There are people who do find me and think my art is good, then they try to get me to draw something for them at dirt cheap price. Occasionally I accept, because I already have a stable job (programming), and getting some pocket money as a part time thing isn't that bad. But sometimes I just wish I didn't accept the task at low rates.Deviation aside, the article was an insightful read. RM60 per page is still considered low, I think. RM60 x 20 working days = RM1200, which is a VERY low rate in terms of effort VS time spent. My programming job is less stressful, equally enjoyable, and I already earn 2 times the amount. But anyway, if I were in the payer's position, I would offer RM60 for basic level too...But that's assuming all of us began at RM60 lah. If we work up to RM100 per page, then it should get better. In the end, it boils down to passion for the work. I personally would ask for at least RM100 per page though. :D I'm confident with my drawing AND story-writing ability.

#3 dias

dias

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Wow...interesting topic to be discussed. I wasn't aware payment is in per page, not per work/comic. This is good exposure at least to me. I've read Mr. Terence Choi's article as well. Great details he gave us there. Thank you for sharing :)

#4 Kin Chia

Kin Chia

Senior CFer

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

I've been offered rm30 per page before. I did it anyway. At the end, I was almost paid rm20 per page. Had to remind the commissioner that the agreed rate is rm30 per page, and he said "Oh sorry I confused you with another artist". Well gee, someone accepted the job for rm20 per page even, that's a pretty sad thing.I'm a pretty bad recluse when it comes to exposing my artwork. There are people who do find me and think my art is good, then they try to get me to draw something for them at dirt cheap price. Occasionally I accept, because I already have a stable job (programming), and getting some pocket money as a part time thing isn't that bad. But sometimes I just wish I didn't accept the task at low rates.Deviation aside, the article was an insightful read. RM60 per page is still considered low, I think. RM60 x 20 working days = RM1200, which is a VERY low rate in terms of effort VS time spent. My programming job is less stressful, equally enjoyable, and I already earn 2 times the amount. But anyway, if I were in the payer's position, I would offer RM60 for basic level too...But that's assuming all of us began at RM60 lah. If we work up to RM100 per page, then it should get better. In the end, it boils down to passion for the work. I personally would ask for at least RM100 per page though. :) I'm confident with my drawing AND story-writing ability.

Do you have a website or a blog that shows your art? I would like to see it :D

1969253_325050654345670_6918152235103586

My Facebook (Kin Chia) : http://www.facebook....hp?id=650941247 (feel free to add me~ Thanks xD)
Blog : http://kuantancoswalk.wordpress.com (will use this blog to post updates on cosplay and hobby stuff from Kuantan, Pahang :D )

Facebook Page : https://www.facebook...80623486?ref=hl (Kuantan Coswalk FB Page :) )

#5 snowangell88

snowangell88

Gamer Chick

• Members
  • 1090 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

this recent events in this industry in malaysia...i don't see many local doujin/manga on sale, all i see is fan arts, fan arts and more fan arts. Selling Original doujin is so
hard, but i do see doujin like yaoi, 18R stuff, non local like thailand, indonesia and other places except local. Even if we do, the local don't support it, so it's
kinda tough to sell doujin in the local market. I've been browsing the local market for almost 15years now, i don't see progress so i don't see the need to support local
artist, so i turm to international where the support is stronger & the stuff is pretty good compare the us. What's happening? CF has been here for 11 years already,
why no progress? ....all i see got progress is Cosplaying? then this even should've been named Cosplay Fiesta instead of Comic Fiesta. Oh and one more thing,
i hate the MC's, they're both idiotic and not entertaining at all. Change them for heaven sakes.

:heart:  :angel: :heart:

#6 snowangell88

snowangell88

Gamer Chick

• Members
  • 1090 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

advise to those who are doing doujin this year, go small first to gain popularity, don't go print large scale and have problems selling it off.
try doing a 6 page doujin & 10page illustration plus cover . price range advisable is RM10 to RM15 (don't go beyond or you'll have trouble selling)
unless you are doing stuff like 18R (be sure to wrap it up and don't allow browsing for safety measure. The 18R you can jack the price, only if it's doujin and not original works. For starters, to gain public interest in your works , do try live commissions, you can rate it from RM5 (min) to RM50 (max). It's profitable and it works.

:heart:  :angel: :heart:

#7 tmkk961

tmkk961

Junior CFer

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Yeah. I've learned my lessons from last year... But nowadays, I've improved my art style. Thanks for the tips.

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! Are you saying that you can sell R18 stuffs at Comic FIesta...? As long as they're wrapped up and covered...? Is that even legal? I mean, we're not talking about COMIKE here. And the rule for selling said that we cannot sell something too violent or something that's R18.

Alright then, I will do live commissions if I get a booth this year.

#8 lordsyafiq

lordsyafiq

Junior CFer

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm glad I have made my own doujin for this year and ready to be sell... Yes, I agree we have many disadvantages in making Doujins and MC which many aren't captivating the readers and viewers sometimes being 'RIDICULED" by local and outsiders. Sorry, IF I'm offense anyone since it's the truth.

Yaoi, Yuris and Rate-18 Works can be done in overseas like Japan, America and Europe BUT in Malaysia, please do remember we are dealing with kids and families whose childrens, relatives, sons and daughters also loves Anime & Manga and visit Comic Fiesta every year and keep getting bigger. I hope we don't see in any FB, youtube or headlines saying we ARE corrupting childrens with 18SX works and too much skin exposure when selling our arts and products... OR anyone wants the Goverment to banned CF? That would be the last thing we want..

That's why we see even our local artists tend to make doujins even work outside than in the country because of the flexibility and their open-minded. I don't mind Yuri, Yaoi and 18 Rated works since I have been all-around genres, what I don't like is it can be contagious and obsessive until corrupted and infected others. I think this is what parents saw in Anime & Manga in Malaysia even our surroundings (crimes, rape, etc etc) have contributed to their views.

What we need in CF now (In Malaysia) , are more versatily which rather than focused on sexiness, fan services or yaoi, yuri and 18-Rated works, we have a lot oppoturnity to make more dynamic works like Game Characters, Role Playing Drawings, Poster style (Like advertisements promotions) which promotes the potential side of Anime & Manga like Characters Designs, Novel Writings, Short Stories Comic with morals, Art Compilations Books, 4 panel storytelling (Like Lawak Kampus or Ujang)... But, put the sexiness a bit only BUT more to storytelling. I do think bit by bit we can alter their views although it takes time..

One of the most notable things is Commissions and Originals Character Designs also Illustrations (Your own Imaginations and Out-Of-The-Box designs) which in Los Angeles Anime Expo recently, it have a large market value which we can use to our advantage. The alternatives is there already, BUT we are so caught up with Fan Arts (NOT ALL of us..) and I believe this is ONE factor that cause our Doujins and Comic have a major setbacks. Please don't be surprise we see a lot of Bleach, Naruto, Fate Stay Night and many popular fanarts in CF all year round...including Vocaloids. IT'S NOT WRONG to make it, only it's the same all around and people will be bored and lose interest.

More over, I also as Freelance Tutor of Anime & Manga Drawing Class tends to have more students abroad than locals which makes me sad... Nevertheless, I also will be in CF 2012 IF have the oppoturnity and share my knowledge. IF I do offense anyone, I deeply apologize and it wasn't intentions to hurt your feelings. What I say is SOLELY based on my experiences and obvservations, just offering my 2 cents.
-----DA Gallery----------PIXIV Member----------Facebook-----

#9 tmkk961

tmkk961

Junior CFer

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Yup... Well... yeah... Since most people here in Malaysia are into F-Art-S (Fan Art Stuffs), I should do some F-Art-S for this year's Comic Fiesta. I might research on what people are into right now.

No worries. We live in a cruel world called "Reality". We just face it in some ways.

But then again, I'm thinking of doing F-Art-S for a while anyway. Not just my OC stuffs.

#10 lordsyafiq

lordsyafiq

Junior CFer

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Same here, my friend after I have researched last year what might be the popular key Fan Arts, well, let's just say it's worth more and get many attentions just like Comiket style in Japan and Anime Expo in America.

"Reality" have hit me hard when I started drawing in 2005...So, just move along, and improvise also adapt it as a way of life. Not grumbling and ranting like a child. A variety of works never hurts to maximize the promotions value and profits even little X33
-----DA Gallery----------PIXIV Member----------Facebook-----

#11 tmkk961

tmkk961

Junior CFer

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

Hey wait... What about selling chibi stuffs? Whether it's OC or Fan.

But whatever the case, I'll be doing both OC and F-Art-S (Fan Art Stuffs).

But for now... I'm still waiting for the registration of the booth. I'm not feeling easy until I get a booth. So nervous. Even my friends who got a booth last year are helping me getting a booth.

But one problem, I'm still looking for someone who I can group up with for my group, AKABUMI. There is someone I like but...