4 replies to this topic

#1 popiouiuyuio

popiouiuyuio

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'm planning on Cosplaying Kaoru from Hoshi no Yakata at CF 2012 and I'll probably be making the costume by myself. I was planning on getting spandex, lycra or some really stretchy fabric so that I can make the costume. (It's supposed to be ultra skin tight with a halter-top design) The hole for the head has to be able to fit to the neck.

Of course, I could probably modify it (put snaps at the sides) so that I don't need to use Lycra or Spandex but the costume is shiny and I don't really know any other fabric that gives off a sheen.

In a nutshell:
1: Where do I get Spandex/Lycra/Stretchy Fabric in all black?
2: If I can order it or go to the shop, How much does it cost?
3: Barring the first two, where can I get PVC?
4: Barring 1-3, is there any alternative slightly shiny and not too droopy material that I can get? If yes, where?
5: Any advice on working with said materials?
6: Can I use a sewing machine with any of the above materials? Or am I better off sewing it by hand?

Please and Thank you!

#2 Izumi Ishtar

Izumi Ishtar

Veteran CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

1. You can try looking up Nagoya or Kamdar around Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman
2. Depends on how many metres you wanna buy. It's been long time since I went to Nagoya... can't remember the pricing.
3. Petaling street? I dunno
6. Not really a tip but if you using PVA or PVC you'd need to find a specialized tailor that can handle those materials since to sew on them a special sewing machine would be needed. Or else, you'll kill tons of innocent needles

通りすがりの仮面ライダーだ、覚えておけ!」。Flame Izumi's albums, FF.N acc,

#3 miyavi honey

miyavi honey

The Low Profile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

1. Spandex and Lycra are almost impossible to get in Malaysia.. believe me i know(I'm doing superhero cosplays) Nearest to get is in Singapore or you have to order online. if you want to substitute Spandex/Lycra, you can always use jersey cloth but it is thin, so you better make it double layered.

2.Never bought by meter, usually a whole bodysuit will cost around rm120-150

3. you get PVC at shops along jalan TAR or shops near Titiwangsa LRT station. Only have hard pvc(shiny/rough) they dont sell spandex/lycra pvc.

4.You mean shiny pvc? yes, they sell shiny and rough pvc

5-6. shiny pvc will kill you using sewing machine or by hands oso..(I had done both-dies-) you better ask a tailor to do it. they have better/powered sewing machine. while rough pvc can be sew by normal sewing machine and by hand but still will kill you but not as bad as shiny pvc (i had done both too) just be patience and bare with it.

#4 popiouiuyuio

popiouiuyuio

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Woah, RM 120-150? That's like 3 - 4 times more expensive than what I normally make!

Thanks for the replies. Seems that I don't have the budget or the time for Spandex or Lycra if it's that hard to find and hard to sew.

#5 miyavi honey

miyavi honey

The Low Profile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

like i said, i had never bought by meters, so i dont know how much, usually they sell em 1 whole bodysuit (from head to toe) around that price >w<

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fabric, cosplay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users