Photo

Comic Fiesta 2012 Coffy Creative Challenge!

competition coffy mascot art

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 swing

swing

Junior CFer

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Coffy Creative Challenge sponsored by Saito College

Posted Image

Prizes
1x Grand Prize
RM1,000

4x Prize
RM500

Introduction
It's about time that we give Coffy, our main mascot, a new look! Comic Fiesta, with the support from Saito College, are proud to hold a character design competition for our mascots (well, mascot that is) for the first time ever!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to redesign Coffy, with a theme based on a specific type of coffee (Coffy)! e.g. Latte, Macchiato, Espresso, Double Espresso, etc. (For your inspiration, here's Wiki's full list of Coffee Beverages ;D) Interpret your chosen beverage and reflect its uniqueness in your design in the form of BOTH her costume and personality~! (e.g iced coffee may be Coffy in winter costume!)

The winning design will be the official costume for Coffy this year and if your design is the one selected you stand to win RM1000 in prizes! Not only that, four other winning designs will be selected and each stand to win RM500 worth of consolation prizes! XD

Here are the Guidelines to follow:

Guidelines
1. There are no age/race/nationality limits to participation.
2. Designs must be themed based on a specific coffee (Coffy), e.g. Latte, Macchiato, Espresso, Double Espresso, etc. (For your inspiration, here's Wiki's full list of Coffee Beverages ;D)
3. Character designs must be SFW (safe for work). Neither birthday suits NOR tattoos (alone) are considered “costumes”, and though
arguable in terms of “character”, does not fulfill the entire needs of this competition.
4. Participants may send in more than one submission, but only one will be considered for the final prize.
5. Submissions must be sent in by 12am (+8.00GMT), 23rd of November 2012. Any submissions sent after that will be promptly ignored.
6. The results will be announced by end of November.
7. The judges decisions are final. Complaints may be entertained but will be done so at the individual judge's prerogative and will have no effect on the results.
8. The CFOC (Comic Fiesta Organizing Committee) reserve the right to amend/change these R&Rs at their own discretion without prior notification.
9. The CFOC reserves the rights to use any winning designs and its likeness for its promotional and commercial purposes.
10. EMAIL your submissions to cf.illustration@gmail.com with the subject title "CF12 Coffy Creative Challenge" when you are done.
11. Alternately, you can also post/mail your entries to the following address...

SAYS Youth Society

47, Jalan SS17/3B

47500 Subang Jaya

Selangor Darul Ehsan

Artwork Guidelines
1. Submissions must be related or relate to Comic Fiesta and done by you. (MUST contain artwork of Coffy)
2. Submissions may be done by analog/tradition methods or digitally.
3. All submissions sent in digitally must be in the following format:
  • Size: A4 (2480px X 3508px // 21cm X 29.7cm // landscape or portrait)
  • Resolution: 300dpi
  • File Format: JPEG file - full quality save. (12)
  • File Naming: Please name your file in accordance to this format for easier filing:
  • CF12Creative Challenge_NameofContestant_Nickname.JPG/PSD/TIFF
4. ALL submissions, both emailed and posted, must include:
  • Three coloured views of ONE costume design: Front, Back and an Action/Character Pose. Background is not necessary.
  • A write-up detailing the concept/personality/story behind the design (including the name of the coffee the design is inspired from).
  • Artists details (name, nickname/alias, email, homepage).
  • An example of a non-Coffy submission can be found here.
5. Foul Language, Hentai, Yaoi, and Yuri are NOT allowed.
6. Comments/words can be placed within artwork.
7. All due credits of any design(s) used be given to the individual artist(s).
8. Artworks not meeting the requirements above will be rejected.
9. If you have difficulties thinking what/how to draw you may refer to the artwork samples from this site: http://comicfiesta.org/mascots/

Winners will be announced on 23rd December 2012 (Sunday) and the prize giving session will be held on stage at 6.30pm.
  • monk-ed, Dacy92, lord_kuching and 3 others like this

Daffodil Academy Student DetailsCharacter Name: Sora Hideaki そら ひであき Year/Class: 3-B Club/Societies: Mercenaries Club Member, Kendo Club MemberSkills: Highly skilled in the use of blades/swords/knives/sharp objects. High Agility, Extensive knowledge of pressure points. Has an unknown secret power. Weakness: Dark chocolate & cute thingsInventory: Wide array of blades, gadgets, locketPVP Mode: OFF

#2 Pricey

Pricey

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Like a coffee gijinka! Might be good to keep the ears...

aposekari @ comicfiesta '13

pricechiani-SG

#3 Ryuuka

Ryuuka

Senior CFer

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

I have a few questions here...
1. Does my artwork have to be confined to Coffy's original personality & quirks? Or can I create a whole new personality for her?
2. IF it happens that I won a prize but am unable to attend the prize-giving ceremony, can I ask someone else as my representative to receive the award?
~Cosplay Wishlist '13~
Megurine Luka Matryoshka ver. -done!
Miki Sayaka (Puella Magi)
Oz Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
Kurapika (Hunter X Hunter)

#4 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have a few questions here...
1. Does my artwork have to be confined to Coffy's original personality & quirks? Or can I create a whole new personality for her?

No it doesn't. You can submit along with your entry an idea/write-up of Coffy's new character/personality to go with the design. =)

2. IF it happens that I won a prize but am unable to attend the prize-giving ceremony, can I ask someone else as my representative to receive the award?

Yes, yes you may. Once you've confirmed that you've won, a representative can be arranged in your place to pick up your prize. =)

I used to be witty, then I took a meme to an appendage and now I'm just lame.

#5 nori

nori

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

I've also got a few questions.

1. When submitting multiple entries, can it be sent together in one email?
2. When naming multiple entries (whether they are submitted together or separately), do they have to have the same file name? Or can I just add a number at the end to differentiate between entries?
3. Also just to clarify, the 3 coloured views of the costume design has to fit in one A4 size file, right? (i.e. not in three A4 size files)
I liiive!!Posted ImageMy deviantart-->http://norinoko.deviantart.com/

#6 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've also got a few questions.

Ok! 8D

1. When submitting multiple entries, can it be sent together in one email?

Yes if they're all your entries. Bear in mind though that you'll still only be eligible for ONE prize.
If you're sending in for your friends though, it would be preferable to send in through their respective emails (to ease tracking and management).

2. When naming multiple entries (whether they are submitted together or separately), do they have to have the same file name? Or can I just add a number at the end to differentiate between entries?

Numbering them would help a lot. Thank you. =D

3. Also just to clarify, the 3 coloured views of the costume design has to fit in one A4 size file, right? (i.e. not in three A4 size files)

You're free to make your choice on that. The idea is that we want to be able to see your idea in the best way you want it to be presented. If you have a lot of details, it might be a good idea to use multiple files to allow you more space for detailing and the likes. =)

#7 nori

nori

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Ah alright, thanks for the clarifications. :D
I liiive!!Posted ImageMy deviantart-->http://norinoko.deviantart.com/

#8 sakuranee

sakuranee

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

can the design be hand drawn?
I hurt others... I take away something...for a selfish reason...But even so, I want to get it back, the heart you've lost...Syaoran...Posted Image

#9 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

can the design be hand drawn?

Yes~!! We just confirmed a viable inbox that you can send your submissions to! The details will be updated shortly~!

#10 yuzki

yuzki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

sorry to bother you but can i do the colouring traditionally with colour pencils and scan it? or must it be digital media?

#11 lord_kuching

lord_kuching

Senior CFer

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

i think any mean necesary aslong ur idea is received by the CF judges...

the thing being judge is not how awesome ur drawing are but its how awesome your idea are & how well you present it...

i just like you try to get someone out os your league.. u cant just get her/him by looks but u must show him/her you good side & to show that you must talk...
Don't ever dare saying something you don't dare to do !!!

Que Bee Ozairs
STR: 1 DEX: 3 CON: 1 INT: 1 WIS: 2 CHA: 2
HP: 10/10

#12 swing

swing

Junior CFer

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

sorry to bother you but can i do the colouring traditionally with colour pencils and scan it? or must it be digital media?

Yes Yuzki, that's perfectly acceptable. Just remember to scan at 300dpi and follow the submission and artwork guidelines. =)

Daffodil Academy Student DetailsCharacter Name: Sora Hideaki そら ひであき Year/Class: 3-B Club/Societies: Mercenaries Club Member, Kendo Club MemberSkills: Highly skilled in the use of blades/swords/knives/sharp objects. High Agility, Extensive knowledge of pressure points. Has an unknown secret power. Weakness: Dark chocolate & cute thingsInventory: Wide array of blades, gadgets, locketPVP Mode: OFF

#13 yuzki

yuzki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

ok, thank you^^

#14 swing

swing

Junior CFer

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

ok, thank you^^

No problem! Also you can choose to submit/mail your drawings to the physical address mentioned in the announcements if you so prefer. =)

#15 Laite

Laite

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hello, I have a few questions.
Do we have to keep Coffy's hair colour and style? How about her eye colours and her cat ears? If we don't, she might look like a totally different character...
This competition says it is a costume contest but we are allowed to redesign her personality?
It's quite confusing, what exactly is the objective of this competition?

#16 lord_kuching

lord_kuching

Senior CFer

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

Do we have to keep Coffy's hair colour and style? How about her eye colours and her cat ears? If we don't, she might look like a totally different character...
This competition says it is a costume contest but we are allowed to redesign her personality?

personality mean it inner self like her characteristic... and Coffy with out her wolf ear will look like a diff char literally ... just my thought
Don't ever dare saying something you don't dare to do !!!

Que Bee Ozairs
STR: 1 DEX: 3 CON: 1 INT: 1 WIS: 2 CHA: 2
HP: 10/10

#17 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Ok!

Technically, you don't. But it is preferable to have her still recognizably "Coffy". She can be a completely difference character. =)

Although the first line does refer to "costume", the ultimate point of this Creative Challenge is to reinvent Coffy based on a coffee. So yes, you are allowed to redesign her personality. =)

For ease of future reference, I'll change the first line to avoid any more similar confusions.

#18 Dacy92

Dacy92

Senior CFer

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hand-drawn can and digitally can... right??

Even i got confuse.... Q___Q

Anyways... going to do one hand-drawn and one digitally...
Daffodil Academy Student DetailsCharacter Name: dacy Heartless Year/Class: 4-B Club/Societies:noneSkills/Weakness: Heal, acrobatics and sword fighting (katana), emotionless, sensitivity and amnesiaInventory: Maid outfit and KatanaPVP Mode: ON

#19 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hand-drawn can and digitally can... right??

Even i got confuse.... Q___Q

Anyways... going to do one hand-drawn and one digitally...

There are no problems with the preferred way of drawing. For ease of future reference, the post will be edited to reflect it properly. =)

#20 ahliang141

ahliang141

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

after the submission, is the artwork''s copyright still with us?

#21 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

after the submission, is the artwork''s copyright still with us?

That's a very good question!

Short answer is "yes".

To be more precise...
- The copyright of the design will be shared between its designer and Comic Fiesta @ SAYS Youth Society. Credits will be given to the design's original creator whenever the design is used by Comic Fiesta @ SAYS Youth Society.
- The designer will still maintain free personal use of the design, however, may not transfer this right to anyone else (neither individual nor party) without the prior consent of Comic Fiesta @ SAYS Youth Society.
- Profits from any merchandising, however, will be reserved strictly for the propagation and promotion of the Comic Fiesta event only.
  • lord_kuching likes this

#22 Domi Nii-Chan

Domi Nii-Chan

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Pardon Me I'm new Here
just need to ask a question or two

1.It's a total makeover for Coffy right? Anything that abides with the rules goes?
2.As A4 paper size goes tall...are we allowed to have the A4 paper on it's wider side?
(Insert long speech about the importance of humanity and it's beauty here.)

#23 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Pardon Me I'm new Here
just need to ask a question or two

Certainly. =)

1.It's a total makeover for Coffy right? Anything that abides with the rules goes?

Well, without asking you to give too much away, the simple answer would be "yes". We are looking for ideas that are themed around a "type of coffee" though, so as long as you can work around that concept, you're free to design as you please.

2.As A4 paper size goes tall...are we allowed to have the A4 paper on it's wider side?

Yes. Portrait or Landscape, we're fine with it. The main concern is that the design should be detailed and high-res enough for us to see everything that you're providing us.

#24 Domi Nii-Chan

Domi Nii-Chan

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thank You for answering

and sorry to bother but:

this:
"A write-up detailing the concept/personality/story behind the design (including the name of the coffee the design is inspired from)."

and this:
"Artists details (name, nickname/alias, email, homepage).
must be written on the paper or via email (if emailed)?
(Insert long speech about the importance of humanity and it's beauty here.)

#25 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thank You for answering

and sorry to bother but:

this:
"A write-up detailing the concept/personality/story behind the design (including the name of the coffee the design is inspired from)."

and this:
"Artists details (name, nickname/alias, email, homepage).
must be written on the paper or via email (if emailed)?

If you're emailing it, you can just attach all the relevant information & write-ups into the email in the form of a document. =)

#26 ninjakarelin

ninjakarelin

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Ooh, really excited for this contest! :D But I have a question: Can we draw some close ups on specific parts of the design?

tumblr_mptghcv0fj1r3c09go6_r1_250.gif

#27 Oinarisama92

Oinarisama92

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

etto~~ my english not so good~
Is it mean that we design the character by ourself~
or still need to follow the shape of the advertisement? *the solid red color*

#28 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Ooh, really excited for this contest! :D But I have a question: Can we draw some close ups on specific parts of the design?

Definitely. If you refer to the link we've provided as a guide, it also includes details of specific parts of the design. Basically anything that helps further the understanding and "feel" of your design. =)

etto~~ my english not so good~

No worries! 8D

Is it mean that we design the character by ourself~
or still need to follow the shape of the advertisement? *the solid red color*

Yes, it does mean you are to design the character by yourself, and no, you don't have to follow the red shape in the poster. =)

We want your coffee-Coffy to have a nice personality. Give her a feeling of a coffee you think is interesting and show/tell us why it is interesting~ =D

#29 NakajimaSeiki

NakajimaSeiki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

I would like to ask a few questions:
1. Can the artwork be one by a group or must be a single participant?
2. After re-designing the character, should I add text to describe about the costume or just send the picrure only?

Your replies are most appreciated , ty ><

#30 BmJ

BmJ

A.E.M.

• Comic Fiesta Committee
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

I would like to ask a few questions:

Can! Ask away!! 8D

1. Can the artwork be one by a group or must be a single participant?

Yes, it can be done by a group. However, I feel it's important for me to mention that even if it's done by a group, you'll only win ONE prize (so the prize will have to be shared amongst you and your group members).

2. After re-designing the character, should I add text to describe about the costume or just send the picrure only?

You *can* send in your design without a text body, BUT a small text body describing her would be preferred. It would help put us in the right frame of mind for your design and draw our attention to things that we may not otherwise be aware of. =)

Your replies are most appreciated , ty ><

You're welcomed! Happy drawing~~ 8D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: competition, coffy mascot, art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users