16 replies to this topic

#1 Maiki

Maiki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hello, I’m Maiki and I’m planning to hold a doujin-only event sometime in the first half of the year 2013, hopefully with the help of the CF Committee (we already had a talk on this). And by doujin-only event, I mean an event with more focus on doujin works and less on everything else that are normally available in other ACG events, like cosplay/games/anime-related performances/activities.

Just to clarify, many seem to assume doujin-only means zine/comics-only while my definition of doujin is actually “amateur works” in general, the way this word is used in Japan. (“Doujinshi” is the one meaning “amateur comic”) Many people have expressed on wanting an event with more focus on doujin comics/books and less on merchandise, and while I personally agree on that, but I would like to keep this event as a platform to promote all kinds of amateur works that goes as far as games or other variety of items, even handicrafts, both fanworks and original. I mean, where else can you get Pokemon glass handkerchiefs after all? ;)

The reason I want to do this event in the first half of the year is because there’s a huge lack of ACG events in that period and that translates to a lack of outlet for doujin groups to culticate their activities. By the time July or August rolls in, I’m sure many would just wait for CF so I think having an event before June would help fill up the void for those who like to buy or make doujins at least.

I’m still scared on whether this whole doujin-only event idea is a hasty decision or not though, I mean, how many people goes to ACG events in Malaysia just for doujins, right? (I do, though) CF has pointed out that we will need to find as many ways to get the crowd in or the organizers and doujin booth owners will end up losing money instead, thus making the event unsuccessful. So I decided to send out a questionnaire of sorts to as many doujinka as I can remember to ask for people’s opinions on the doujin situation and whether or not the doujin-only event idea is good or not.

Surprisingly I got quite a number of responses and many shared some very good points and suggestions about this idea. Since some people are quite interested to hear what were the responses too, I decided to digest most of the information I got in here so that all the other doujin lovers can also take note and maybe gain some perspective out of it.

These were my questions:
1. Have you had doujin/art booths in Malaysian ACG events?
2. If yes, which events? (CF, AFA, Animangaki, etc?)
3. How was the reception/sales for your booth in those events? (Satisfying, disappointing, etc?)
4. Why would you want a doujin-only event?
5. What are you interested to see in a doujin-only event? (only doujins? or more?)
6. Should we set up a community for local doujinkas as a platform for discussions on how to improve each others' performances? (like tips on printing, pricing, promotion, booth setup, etc) (There's already the Doujinshi section of CF Forum but it's not used much...)
7. Any opinions about the 'attraction' ideas I brought up above? Any other ideas you want to add in?

On to the results:

Out of 15 replies, 14 people have had booths at CF. 4 at MGCC, 3 at AFA, 2 at MMU Melaka, 2 at C2AGE and the rest are Cosmas, ACGC, Pekomikon and Urbanscapes (only 1 person per event). Most participants broke even with their booth sales but I forgot to ask exactly how many copies they printed and how many got sold, so I guess we can’t make much judgement there.

Many wishes for a doujin-only event to be organized so that we can bring the focus back to doujin books and help promote more general interest into self-published works. Having more opportunities to sell their works and socialize with other doujinka are definitely plusses too. There’s also the general love for doujin and hoping to have more chances of buying doujin stuff. ;)

Listing down what people are interested to see more in a doujin event (besides the obvious doujin loot in general lol):
  • original works (majority speaks this)
  • less focus on popular fandoms and more attention to the obscure ones (western fandoms included)doujin novel and/or games (we’ve seen more of them popping up last CF though :D)
  • more variety of merchandise like mugs/phone charms
  • less sponsor booths (unless it’s really necessary)
  • panels by professionals for those aiming for a career or wanting to know more about self-publishing methods or how to improve it (many agree to this)
If you don’t mind me quoting someone’s suggestion:
“I think Malaysia has quite a sizeable Picture Book Artist community, and even a Society of Children's Books Writers/Artists on FB. While their art style is obviously very far from the anime/comic style, they can surely give some insight on what it's like to work full time in this industry, tips, advice, and let's say for budding writers perhaps they can find an artist to pair up with?”

As for a forum of some sorts for doujinka, many agree for us to have one but not many suggest us to build a new place. Sticking to the CF Doujin forum is already good enough. We just need to bring the attention back to it. Having an updated list on tips on how/where to print doujins (good printing locations), good booth decoration/promotion, good price ranges and so on would be very helpful for starters. Maybe even tips to doujin buyers on how to make their shopping easier (prepare small change, eco bags, etc).

Now for other misc opinions/suggestions:
  • Let publishers/industry people have booths and make portfolio reviews for those interested in pursuing a career or wanting to receive critiques from professionals for self-improvement. (They have this in Japan’s Comitia too actually!)
  • Categorizing booths by fandom and originals? It may be a good idea if it’s a big event like Comike, but since the doujin scene is still not big enough in this country and we’re still trying to promote all works in general, I think it’s better to mix all of them first to prevent certain sections from being alienated. As we can tell right now, originals are still not as popular as fanworks.
  • Many pointed out that prints/badges/merch sells better than books or vice versa. BUT in the end, what matters is the quality of the item, how much it costs, its attraction and each customer’s mindset (what they’re looking for in terms of fandom, cost and standards). As you can see at the end of CF, not all groups’ badges/prints/etc sell out. Sales may seem better but in the end they all go through the same judgment as books do.
  • Inviting foreign artists for more exposure to international works. The main obstacle here would be language barriers and costs, though.
  • Language barriers: Even though majority of doujin works are in English, not everyone are good in English and there are some works only available in Malay or Chinese. How do we help these people who are scared to make doujin books or can’t sell their doujin books because of language barriers?
  • If making one book alone is too difficult a task, then anthologies are definitely the best way, especially if you don’t have confidence in your own skills.
That’s all for the responses! There’s actually more being said in the email replies I got but despite mostly putting the main points here, it’s still a lot of text so I’m sorry for cutting things short.

Back to the topic of the doujin-only event, yes, entrance will be free of charge, especially if we’re not planning to have guests on the first event. Adding panels and guests are what increases organization costs, thus the entrance fees for CF, but we won’t be worrying about that yet, I think?

I was thinking of holding it on April but a couple of people have expressed it’s a bit too early especially if we’re only announcing the event around this time. So since MGCC won’t be held this year, maybe May or June? It may be easier for students because it’ll be around the school holidays too, right? If we’re planning to hold another event next year, maybe that can be brought forward to April?

One burning question, though. I noticed majority of doujin groups get booths at CF but not many go for other events, so why is that? Is it the interest in that event (or lack of)? Or lack of information on other events (especially on booth registrations)? The timing? Booth costs? I guess I’m curious because what would make you go for THIS doujin-only event if you wouldn’t go for other events?

Well, that's a wrap! This is already a very TL;DR post, I'm so sorry. (I at least bolded the main highlights?) Feel free to do discuss!

#2 vanillatea_er

vanillatea_er

pokemon trainer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2621 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

yes, I think this is certainly a wonderful idea,
and if its possible,
please make this doujin only event twice in a year?
(like summer and winter even though malaysia is summer all year long)

I always find that there are too little doujin events and goods sold in malaysia.
There too little doujin booths in some events such as animangaki, c2age etc.
Even the doujin booths in comic fiesta isn't half as much as comic world korea, which happens almost every two months.

In other countries (such as korea and japan) there are even 'only events' such as all magi event and all natsume yuujinchou events which only sell doujin goods related to that certain series.
But we no need to start on that yet knowing that the fandom of a certain series in malaysia isn't big and wild enough to make one xxxonly event successful lol.

I think june for now would be a perfect time for a doujin event :D
yes please make it be april next year if this is successful!

I would love to participate and open a booth along with my other team mates in this event,
and of course given that its an all doujin good event,
I would probably have a wonderful time shopping and scouting around for doujin goods.

deviantart | tumblr

hello lovely people

I love pokemon and cardfight! vanguard ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

OTP: N主♂

#3 monk-ed

monk-ed

Community Moderator

• Community Moderator
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

for a tl;dr, it's surprisingly detailed XD

Hello, I’m Maiki

hi i'm monk-ed :D

Just to clarify, many seem to assume doujin-only means zine/comics-only while my definition of doujin is actually “amateur works” in general, the way this word is used in Japan.

i was confused with them too :I

I’m still scared on whether this whole doujin-only event idea is a hasty decision or not though, I mean, how many people goes to ACG events in Malaysia just for doujins, right? (I do, though)

well, not ONLY for doujins, but it certainly is the main highlight of my trips :D

As for a forum of some sorts for doujinka, many agree for us to have one but not many suggest us to build a new place. Sticking to the CF Doujin forum is already good enough. We just need to bring the attention back to it.

agreed. else things be scattered everywhere :(

Having an updated list on tips on how/where to print doujins (good printing locations), good booth decoration/promotion, good price ranges and so on would be very helpful for starters. Maybe even tips to doujin buyers on how to make their shopping easier (prepare small change, eco bags, etc).

you know what? i'm working on getting my doujinshi printed, and i am documenting every move i make, as a reference of sorts to readers. someday :P
i am somewhat disappointed that there is little information on doujinshi production here.

One burning question, though. I noticed majority of doujin groups get booths at CF but not many go for other events, so why is that? Is it the interest in that event (or lack of)? Or lack of information on other events (especially on booth registrations)? The timing? Booth costs? I guess I’m curious because what would make you go for THIS doujin-only event if you wouldn’t go for other events?

i think CF is more well-known? i mean, it is at year end after all. holidays should have kicked in and all, so people have the time to go.

-----

i am in support of this event. after all, i'm a content creator. am looking forward to this if it happens for real.
Blue Pasta
STR: 1 DEX: 2 CON: 2 INT: 3 SPI: 2
HP: 20

#4 lowiesclw

lowiesclw

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

TOo many to share & suggestion to type our here,i rather u make a un-official gathering..So wee all - doujin artist, talk share discuss together much easy,.. ^_^ anyway, here is my answer based on your question u list on your post...

1. Have you had doujin/art booths in Malaysian ACG events?
Yes, from my 1st doujin booth in CF 2003 til last years, 10 years totaly of my doujin circle experience.

2. If yes, which events? (CF, AFA, Animangaki, etc?)
2003: Comic Fiesta 2003
2004: Cosmas 2004, Ukiyo-E, Comic Fiesta 2004
2005: Comic Fiesta 2005
2006: KSG [Penang]
2007: GACC [Melaka]
2008: ACF08, TAF 2008, Comic Fiesta 2008, Kaisoki
2009: SeaOnline, ACGC, Comic Fiesta, Daicon, Animangaki, C2Age
2010: Gamp, Comic Fiesta, Asaban, Konmas,
2011: GAMP, Comic Fiesta, J-Fest, Animangaki, READ, CF 2011, Melaka - Gamex, Singapore - Confest
2012: Korean Fair [TAJ], Animangaki , Asaban , Kuso Atsumari, CF 2012
*Some i lost the photo so i forgot what the name already...>

3. How was the reception/sales for your booth in those events? (Satisfying, disappointing, etc?)
Since i didt follow the trend / popular, so my sale is so-so..Only certain item is popular sale...

4. Why would you want a doujin-only event?
Well, Easy to sharing, discuss, meeting the doujin artist that you love or like..focus on 1 event...

5. What are you interested to see in a doujin-only event? (only doujins? or more?)
Invite famous to show off their skill on stage, bring the local publisher to visit - show so many talented artist n M'sia, exchange doujin to other artist as well, tutorial class for beginner...

6. Should we set up a community for local doujinkas as a platform for discussions on how to improve each others' performances? (like tips on printing, pricing, promotion, booth setup, etc) (There's already the Doujinshi section of CF Forum but it's not used much...)
i] Show namelist of photostat printing or atr shop, which can provide discount to our - doujin artist
ii] A blog site or website for doujin artist, share their experience, tutorial making DIY item,
iii} A doujin comic copy from local doujin artist, which not full-time working to any publisher company..

7. Any opinions about the 'attraction' ideas I brought up above? Any other ideas you want to add in?
Gathering face-face will be much better..

Done....phew!!!
2010 cosplay project :: Muramasa: demon Blade - Momohime ::2010 Fanart Project- Nintendo Wii Game, Keroro Gunso...::::: if u need ppl join doujin booth, contact me..XD :::::

#5 Maiki

Maiki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

TOo many to share & suggestion to type our here,i rather u make a un-official gathering...

A gathering would be a nice thing to hold from once in awhile, but in the end, it's still best to share those suggestions and opinions here for everyone to catch up on (unless you were planning to share those thoughts with only a few people) so if you can spare the time, please do write down what you have in mind here too. :)

iii} A doujin comic copy from local doujin artist, which not full-time working to any publisher company..

Hahah, I think that makes up 80% of the doujinka community. Many of us do doujins because we work in different working fields after all.

Not sure if that's a good idea considering there's already CF at the end of the year and a bunch of other ACG events in the last half of the year too. But we'll see how things go with this doujin-only event first and consider options after that. :)

I always find that there are too little doujin events and goods sold in malaysia.
There too little doujin booths in some events such as animangaki, c2age etc.
Even the doujin booths in comic fiesta isn't half as much as comic world korea, which happens almost every two months.

Yeah, I noticed there aren't many doujin booths in other ACG events as compared to CF. It could be because the booth registration fees aren't affordable? I noticed AFA and C2AGE are quite pricey, especially for doujin groups that have trouble even breaking even for their sales. That, or people don't know/trust other events enough to invest on a booth on. I haven't went to a lot of events myself so personally I would check them out as a normal visitor first before I make any decision to have a booth there.

And whoa, I think it's too early to compare ourselves to Korea and Japan's doujin events. I don't know about Korea but Japan's Comic Market has been around for about 40 years. They had all these years to cultivate their doujin culture so that's why it has grown so big they had to start splitting up and make events happen more often to answer to the high demand. CF just celebrated their 10-year anniversary. I think we may have to wait 20 more years or so for the doujin culture to get that big. XD (if it would even get that big, considering we're in Malaysia and things just generally work differently here)

Thanks a lot for the positive responses so far. :)

#6 fuyusuki

fuyusuki

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

I personally like this idea, probably because mainly doujin don't really get as much spotlight compared to cosplay. I've only started attending ACG events from late 2009, so don't have much experience (CF 2012 is my first booth). Anyway, from my view of attending different ACG events, CF might be the only ACG event that focused more on doujin (probably that's why there are more booths in CF?).

I noticed AFA and C2AGE are quite pricey, especially for doujin groups that have trouble even breaking even for their sales.

I seconded this. I have quite hard time covering the booth cost because my sales isn't doing great. I can easily cover fee like CF, but I don't I'll go for AFA or C2AGE.

I think mid of the year is good to hold the event. Maybe somewhere between April to July? Plenty of time if want to hold this year or just bring it foward to next year if not possible. :)

: tumblr : da : pixiv :

#7 kaiten

kaiten

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

This sounds like a wonderful idea! Sorry I was late to read this thread. Anyway, yes for more doujin-related events! :)

My group (Thingamajica) focuses mainly on Comic Fiesta. We used to go to Daicon, Mage Festa and stuff when we were students but we stopped as we started to get busier with our lives I guess. Focusing on just 2 days in a year is more practical for us with our hectic work schedules >_<

I see you posted many good questions - I'll get back on this thread soon with my opinions! *running off*

#8 Maiki

Maiki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Been awhile since I last popped up my head here. I just realized there are some nice feedbacks from other fellow doujinkas here but I wonder if non-doujinkas are also interested in visitting a doujin-only event? :Oa Anyone willing to lend their voices here?

#9 fuyusuki

fuyusuki

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

Reviving this thread again since it's almost the end of the year, and we need more opinions, and I would love to see this event actually happening. (:

#10 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

I kinda agree with this idea but rather than selling doujins why not make it a workshop or discussion?

Like "how to draw manga", "how to CG", etc

because having doujin only event is like you're inviting doujinkas only, or anyone interested in drawing comics, and rejecting cosplays and other things. Though I enjoy doing doujins more, cosplays is like the life of the party imho.

And this event is like you're expecting doujinkas to support or buy one another's doujin, and it'll be awkward if they refuse to trade (because they don't share the same fandom or they may not like your work). So I'm not really clear on what your goal for this event is like.

But since CF has a spin-off event for cosplay-only (COSMART) I think it's fair to have a doujin-only event as well.

in my opinion the reason why there aren't many booths in other events compared to CF, is because some doujinshikas are still students and they probably can't come or rent a booth in most events except for end of year or mid year events; which are during school holidays or sem breaks. Other than that, the event committee probably can't rent too much space for booths as that would increase their renting cost as well. Doujinkas also can't rent booth at every event, because some groups' fundings are reserve for end of year events.

yes, I think this is certainly a wonderful idea,
and if its possible,
(like summer and winter even though malaysia is summer all year long)

I disgaree that doujin only event should be held twice a year.

We can take summer (aka June or maybe during sem break/school holidays) as our doujin event but for winter (aka December) let's just focus on CF. And there's also AFA to think about.

Remember doujinkas also need to consider their funds to rent a booth for every event. Also, they need money to buy another doujinkas' works.

So imagine we have CF this week, doujinka as customer already spent a lot in that event. Suddenly next week got doujin only event, no money already.

-----

there's one more thing i wanna point out is that, from my observation while sitting at my booth; i notice a lot of people amused by my doujin titles. They know the fandom, or at least heard of it, but they're not interested in buying or reading (nonetheless, there are many people who bought them).

My conclusion is that not many people can appreciate doujinshis - they're interested to buy smaller things like badges or bookmarks or prints. I think only those who read doujinshis (especially the ones from Japan), and those who do doujins themselves, can appreciate doujinshis.

• monk-ed likes this

#11 monk-ed

monk-ed

Community Moderator

• Community Moderator
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

I kinda agree with this idea but rather than selling doujins why not make it a workshop or discussion?
Like "how to draw manga", "how to CG", etc

A discussion session is great for doujinkas to trade ideas, skills and such
but only if everyone is willing to accept and listen. For example, I advocate traditional over digital drawing.
If a person waltzes in and starts saying that traditional drawing is (expletive) with no proper justification,

by hell I'd be tripping. 

because having doujin only event is like you're inviting doujinkas only, or anyone interested in drawing comics, and rejecting cosplays and other things. Though I enjoy doing doujins more, cosplays is like the life of the party imho.

While it certainly says doujin-only event, I believe cosplays are part and parcel of this.
Some doujinkas might be cosplaying on the side, and would come ready in their attire,
which in the end, becomes a public invitation to other cosplayers.
OP did mention "less attention to cosplays etc".

And this event is like you're expecting doujinkas to support or buy one another's doujin, and it'll be awkward if they refuse to trade (because they don't share the same fandom or they may not like your work). So I'm not really clear on what your goal for this event is like.

I believe the goal of the event is to promote doujin culture
not only between doujinkas, but also in Malaysia in general.
So you have other non-doujinkas/prospective customers as well.

there's one more thing i wanna point out is that, from my observation while sitting at my booth; i notice a lot of people amused by my doujin titles. They know the fandom, or at least heard of it, but they're not interested in buying or reading (nonetheless, there are many people who bought them).
My conclusion is that not many people can appreciate doujinshis - they're interested to buy smaller things like badges or bookmarks or prints. I think only those who read doujinshis (especially the ones from Japan), and those who do doujins themselves, can appreciate doujinshis.

If you are talking about CF this year, a number of people (including me) are quite unhappy with all them badges.

In my opinion, its not just people's sense of appreciation for doujin. Its a lot about preference and exposure as well.

If its an original concept and story, well, that needs a lot of hard work.

But if its a doujin on an existing series, personally speaking, buying it would only be meaningful if I have read/watched it.

A cool cover with flashy backgrounds not necessarily translates to sure sell, or at least for me.

Blue Pasta
STR: 1 DEX: 2 CON: 2 INT: 3 SPI: 2
HP: 20

#12 VulpineNinja

VulpineNinja

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

A discussion session is great for doujinkas to trade ideas, skills and such
but only if everyone is willing to accept and listen. For example, I advocate traditional over digital drawing.
If a person waltzes in and starts saying that traditional drawing is (expletive) with no proper justification,

by hell I'd be tripping. 

i gotta admit that this is a major problem for doujinkas.

Been talking to friends who does doujins as well, apparently some are sensitive towards criticism.

Which is why i have to hold back in terms of giving review on their works.

So it makes me wonder if 'discussion' would make any difference.

If you are talking about CF this year, a number of people (including me) are quite unhappy with all them badges.

In my opinion, its not just people's sense of appreciation for doujin. Its a lot about preference and exposure as well.

If its an original concept and story, well, that needs a lot of hard work.

But if its a doujin on an existing series, personally speaking, buying it would only be meaningful if I have read/watched it.

A cool cover with flashy backgrounds not necessarily translates to sure sell, or at least for me.

oh you're telling me. (i've read the thread)

I've gotten sick of badges ever since I attended AFA 2013. That's why I didn't do any badges.

But people like badges it cos they can attach on their bags and bring around.

yep it really depends on whether you've seen the anime or not, but then, some already watched the anime but still don't wanna read doujin. So i agree it is all about exposure.

#13 Maiki

Maiki

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

I know the idea sounds quite 'syok sendiri' but I'd love it if people can view the event more as an excuse to have a creative outlet more often within the country. There are plenty of cosplay events already, so why not doujin events? Japan, Korea, Thailand and Taiwan have thousands of amazing amateur artists and their indie comics' standards are extremely high and I think it's because there's healthy competition going on due to having a lot of creative outlets over there, while Malaysia's creative art community is still small in comparison. I'd like this event to give artists the push to create something and also doujin lovers to enjoy seeing new creations and also buy them (I know there are plenty that still buy even if they don't create!).

Either way, thanks for bringing up this thread, fuyusuki! :D Yeup, still planning to do the event this year. Couldn't do it last year due to time constraints and other matters, but stuff should sail better this year. Crossing my fingers too. :)

There's a lot of debate on doujinshi VS merchandise (namely badges) here and I think both sides have their merit and demerit anyway. I wouldn't want to shut out any creative opportunity artists wanna take so I think it's best to let artists do whatever they think is best for them (because each sales numbers are different for each doujinka).

I don't think there's a definite rule for what does or does not sell, re: "popular fandoms sell better" etc. I've bought many different books at CF, regardless on whether I know the fandom or not. For example, I bought a Silver Spoon doujinshi despite not knowing the original at all because the storytelling and art looks cute. When it comes to books, what matters will always be the content, regardless of original or fancomic. If it's an artbook, then you judge by art quality. If it's a comic, I judge by storytelling. If it's a novel... That one is hard, lol! Make sure there's a good synopsis and a good art for the book cover to attract people's attention, I guess? (Truth be told, I've only heard of one indie novel so far and that's because my friend brought it up)

I also don't like buying badges but as a Kagerou Project fan, if I couldn't find any books and there are only badges of it, then there's not much other option left but to buy the badges, right? On the other hand, I also love Shingeki no Kyojin but when there's the option between buying badges or books, I'd choose books. Simple decisions, really. In the end, you can't really judge what should or should not be done. As a creator though, you should keep in mind that the more people share the same medium as you (like SnK/Free badges), naturally the more competition you'll have. That's where it'll really be a battle of standards because not everyone has the money to buy every badge of their fave fandoms. At least that's from my own observation... :Oa

#14 tashigi

tashigi

Junior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

I love doujin more than anything else OwO

Yush! Would like to see this happen. Plz keep up to date.

#15 smiley shuu

smiley shuu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

apart from doujinshis, if we wanna attract more ppl, maybe we can have some showcase? they show tips on how to draw, or can be how to create a story, or even on how to publish their works and where to buy with lower cost, this can attract newbies or ppl those are interested in joining this field. i had attend a very small acg event at the mines in 2012(thought i forgot the event name alrdy...) they invite fellow experienced coser to go up stage and show us how to make-up, props etc and they're quite informative for a noob like me to decide to cosplay.

attractions or syok sendiri or watever aside... no matter what you do, first time will be the hardest, even with widerange of advertising and promoting the event, the number of visitors wont be much since majority ppl want some feedback before going to any events. what even worst is, if the first time is bad it's inevitably that second year will be harder in getting visitors, but if you turn it the other way, more ppl will come if the 1st time is good.

i had no experience in open booth, but if there is a doujin event i am interested to join, will be selling bookmarks, badges or artworks... and anthologies worked together with other doujin if they are willing to let me join their group >A< as for comic books or novels, i'd say there is not enough time for me to make one since im still a student ><

btw, does custom figures included as doujin too? as a fellow figure collectors im excited to see if there is ppl good in crafting anime characters in malaysia XD

just a little opinion hope you dont mind if there is some immaturity in my comments :)

#16 fuyusuki

fuyusuki

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I think the event is Kuso Atsumari? I went there haha. It is small but it's enjoyable. :D

btw, does custom figures included as doujin too? as a fellow figure collectors im excited to see if there is ppl good in crafting anime characters in malaysia XD

Well, doujin itself is amateur work so I do think that custom figures is a kind of doujin/merchandise, as long as it is not a commercialize work? Well, it is hard to find a custom figure crafter in Malaysia though. xD

#17 smiley shuu

smiley shuu

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

I think the event is Kuso Atsumari? I went there haha. It is small but it's enjoyable. :D

Well, doujin itself is amateur work so I do think that custom figures is a kind of doujin/merchandise, as long as it is not a commercialize work? Well, it is hard to find a custom figure crafter in Malaysia though. xD

yeah it's fun but it only held once in 2012... D: kinda wish they still continue to make it in the following years...

i've seen a number of figure collector who are capable of customize their figure but nvr seen one built up a whole figure from scratch, hope we can find them in the future! XD

please keep this up to date i want to see this happen! :) would like to see doujin in malaysia growing bigger~ :3 i am willing to volunteer myself to help in the event if this is happening! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: doujin, event

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users