#1 SinanDira

SinanDira

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hello, guys.

Okay, so I've heard some of you have studied in the Cyberjaya campus of the Multimedia University, and I'm in need of your advice!

I have recently been accepted for a foundation in the faculty of creative multimedia, and I am planning to start attending next semester, starting in early 2014. But, seriously, my idea of university life is very tiny, with so many blanks to fill. Can you help me with that please?

Here are my main concerns:

On-Campus Accommodation Options:

The furthest I could fetch from the website the last time I checked was twin-sharing rooms (for undergraduate students) starting from around 300 RM per month.

Q.1: But what are these rooms like? Does anybody have pictures? 

Q.2: Of course, they're not air-conditioned, right?

Q.3: And do you know about any other options?

What to Bring (Property Safety/On-Campus Alternatives):

This is actually the biggest concern of all. I have got so many expensive properties, some of which are essential, some aren't, yet they would be very beneficial to have with me.

The idea of sharing a room with a randomly selected person whom I've never met before sure is scary, besides not knowing what the campus' overall level of security is.

Q.4: Are thefts any common? What are your experiences regarding this?

I know that this is a university campus and not a street, but a few thefts did occur during my brother's stay in the Islamic University (which's supposedly a supreme one!), which gives me a good reason for worrying!

Having a personal desktop computer in my dorm room is the most essential thing. At most, the computer I'll have will be my current gaming machine with high end components and some fancy features (like having an SSD drive for the OS). If not, it'll at least be a cheap computer capable of browsing the internet and providing access to my several-hundred-gigabyte data hard drives.

The theft of most things means the loss of sheer money, but the problem of the loss of a computer is that all of my data; my projects, my photos, all my stuff, will be lost with it, and that's something that I can't accept at all!

Q.5: Do you guys think that this is at all possible, or that I'm just being paranoid?

I guess I'll use cloud back-up for caution anyway, regardless of the possibilities.

Q.6: Do people usually bring their desktop computers in with them in the first place?

One of the most important pieces is my graphics tablet, a medium sized Wacom Bamboo. Having a graphics tablet is a part of my lifestyle, and I can't live without it!

Q.7: Since it's a multimedia university, I assume that there must be decent-quality tablets available for use by students out of class. Is that true?

Q.8: If it's not, do you think that I should bring my tablet?

I also have an iPad, which's essentially a piece of me (except when showering).

Q.9: Do you have any recommendations regarding this one?

What About the Internet?

Q.10: Does it reach the dorm rooms?

Believe it or not, when my brother studied at the Islamic University between 2007 and 2011, there was no such a thing!

Are There Pianos?

I am an amateur pianist and hope to be able to keep practicing after beginning my university life.

Q.11: Does the university have pianos that students can use? :D

INTJ - SinanDira on deviantART

Art, video games, languages, psychology, philosophy and math.

Looking forward to meet like-minded people around KL/Cyberjaya/MMU.

#2 _yuca

_yuca

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:35 AM

I could, but my room is kinda messy ^^; I'll upload pics if you want though, but don't expect much from me. I'll even take extra pics for ya.

Yes, kinda stuffy at night, at least for me lah. Depends on your luck, my room is kinda stuffy since it faces the sun most of the time.

In Cyberjaya, there are rooms for rent near campus, same goes to Melaka. A little extra than staying on-campus, up to you :D

Not sure, I only have been staying here for 3 months, and there's only 2 theft cases I heard. It's in the male hostel though, not sure about the female ones.

Q.5: Do you guys think that this is at all possible, or that I'm just being paranoid?

>implying thieves dare to even carry your heavy bulky machine
>with dem monitor
>plus extra stuff

a bit paranoid I guess, I know a friend who owns a desktop PC here for over a year now. Just don't be stupid enough to leave your room unlocked with your valuables lying right in front of the door.

Q.6: Do people usually bring their desktop computers in with them in the first place?

Most people use laptops, but desktops are fine too. People don't really bring desktop computers since they're kinda bulky and aren't really that portable anyway.

Q.7: Since it's a multimedia university, I assume that there must be decent-quality tablets available for use by students out of class. Is that true?

Get your own. I'm not sure about this though, I'm studying in a different faculty

If you know how to take care of your stuff when you're carrying it along outside, why not?

Just bring it, iPad is quite nice to bring, if you want something to Google and stuff like that in a screen size that is not your phone, this is nice, rather than bringing a laptop

What About the Internet?

Awesome internet. It uses LAN connectivity though, make sure you get a LAN cable, or get a router since you don't want to be a stingy faggot conquering the internet in the room. Some pics:

2955480871.png

3vD6F.png
One of the best download speeds I've ever seen in front of my eyes, lol

Upload/Download is fine most of the time (yes once in a while internet turns sucky, but it should take less than a day for it to get fixed), though if you want to play online games and shit, you're a bit out of luck. Pisses me off every time I play PSO2. Want to play an MMO with millions of people? Dream on

Q.11: Does the university have pianos that students can use?

Don't know, 2hikki4this

If you need anything you can ask me, and some people here. I hope you'll make up your mind and study here this October :)
E0zZXhA.pngwmSqDBR.png

#3 SinanDira

SinanDira

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hello, Yuca, and thank you very much for the long and informative answer!!!

I could, but my room is kinda messy ^^; I'll upload pics if you want though, but don't expect much from me. I'll even take extra pics for ya.

Well, it's up to you. :D We can solve it verbally if you would like. I guess the most important part is the desk. I assume that since it's a dorm, one shouldn't expect more than a little desk enough just to fit a screen and a keyboard OR drawing/studying stuff. It's gonna be a tough move from my 109 x 67 cm desk!

Yes, kinda stuffy at night, at least for me lah. Depends on your luck, my room is kinda stuffy since it faces the sun most of the time.

Oh, bad luck! I hope the heat and sweat won't lower my productivity.

In Cyberjaya, there are rooms for rent near campus, same goes to Melaka. A little extra than staying on-campus, up to you  :D

What about on-campus non-shared rooms? They usually start from around 500 RM (ugh, much!).

Not sure, I only have been staying here for 3 months, and there's only 2 theft cases I heard. It's in the male hostel though, not sure about the female ones.

You know, that's much! :o I think that people tend to be careless, while I am a total paranoid/OCD/security freak, but the fact that a randomly selected person will share the room with me is an uncontrollable factor that can change everything.

>implying thieves dare to even carry your heavy bulky machine
>with dem monitor
>plus extra stuff

a bit paranoid I guess, I know a friend who owns a desktop PC here for over a year now. Just don't be stupid enough to leave your room unlocked with your valuables lying right in front of the door.

Makes enough sense.

I guess I'll bring an old computer with me. If the place proves to be safe enough, and I get a trust-able roommate I can consider bringing my more expensive computer. *Sigh* Gonna leave my 60-sec-boot-time machine behind and take a historical one!

And as for the data, cloud backup FTW! :D

Most people use laptops, but desktops are fine too. People don't really bring desktop computers since they're kinda bulky and aren't really that portable anyway.

But as long as the room is designed so I can bring one, I am good to go!

If you know how to take care of your stuff when you're carrying it along outside, why not?

I'm just worried about theft since it's very easy to carry, and somewhat expensive.

Just bring it, iPad is quite nice to bring, if you want something to Google and stuff like that in a screen size that is not your phone, this is nice, rather than bringing a laptop

Hell yes!

What About the Internet?

Awesome internet. It uses LAN connectivity though, make sure you get a LAN cable, or get a router since you don't want to be a stingy faggot conquering the internet in the room. Some pics:

2955480871.png

3vD6F.png
One of the best download speeds I've ever seen in front of my eyes, lol

Upload/Download is fine most of the time (yes once in a while internet turns sucky, but it should take less than a day for it to get fixed), though if you want to play online games and shit, you're a bit out of luck. Pisses me off every time I play PSO2. Want to play an MMO with millions of people? Dream on

What is this I don't even

THIS IS WAY TOO FAST!

With this crazy internet, how logically is your game connectivity bad? And is it a universal issue or just with MMO games?

If you need anything you can ask me, and some people here. I hope you'll make up your mind and study here this October  :)

I am actually coming in the next semester starting in Jan/Feb 2014. Do you know when precisely that is?

And I think that these are all of my concerns right now (hope I didn't forget anything). Thanks a lot, your help is appreciated! :D

#4 _yuca

_yuca

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

1. Well, it's up to you.

Sorry for crappy quality, and messy room XD http://imgur.com/a/sFjPW

First image is my workspace, should be able to fit a 20" monitor + a large Intuos. Where you put the PC, under the table obviously.

Second image is another table you can take instead of mine, that one feels bigger though (see the rack blocking you from dual monitor? ;w;)

Third image is the bed. Single bed obviously, there is a double decker bed, but I know would you want that instead >:D

Oh, about the fan, depends on what room you get, some got ceiling rooms, and some got ones like mine.

The cupboard is enough for you to fit a month's clothing at most (2 shirts a day, 1 pants every 1 or 2 day(s)), two drawers to put your pantsu and socks in

And some extra space to keep a spare towel/bed sheet etc

There's extra space on top of the cupboard to keep your bags, etc

2. What about on-campus non-shared rooms? They usually start from around 500 RM (ugh, much!)

Not sure

3. With this crazy internet, how logically is your game connectivity bad? And is it a universal issue or just with MMO games?

As in, bad latency. You can clearly notice the delay between your action and the reaction of the server. So far, only with MMO games.

4. Do you know when precisely that is?

Precisely? Not sure, class should start early February though.

E0zZXhA.pngwmSqDBR.png

#5 SinanDira

SinanDira

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Many thanks for the much information! :)

Sounds like a perfect room to me. The desks are a bit smaller than my current, but oh well. xD

About the cupboard, you said it could accommodate a month's load of clothes with 2 shirts per day. You didn't mean a total of 60 shirts, right?  :huh: Because that sounds huge! My collection, like, ENTIRE collection, is no more than 35 (most of which are just blank t-shirts, actually).

And I've never tried double decker beds before, but I guess the issues they have relate to noise and instability? I am not sure, but the thing that I know is that I like the tighter space the lower bed has; feels more private!

Okay, now I just need someone to tell me about the tablets and the pianos. Although, having my own tablet with me will definitely be more comfortable. I guess I can bring it, and if I feel any risks or don't trust my roommate, I can toss it into a relative's house (yes, I do have a few in KL! Hooray for huge families).

By the way, totally irrelevant, but I noticed that in the time the top bird in your signature completes a lap, the one on the right completes 2 while the one on the left completes 3!

#6 Volvagia356

Volvagia356

Senior CFer

• Administrator
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

Hi there. Looks like you've met yuca there. He's my kouhai and also *shot*

I've been wanting to answer this 1-1 on IRC, but since our timing doesn't match, I'll just reply here.

Q.1: But what are these rooms like? Does anybody have pictures? 

The rooms are landscape oriented (can't find right term). There is one single bed and one bunk bed, allowing a total of 3 people. You are provided a table and a cupboard. Personally... the conditions are less than desirable, though I'm probably just spoiled. I've only stayed there for 1 week due to orientation and have always stayed outside.

Q.2: Of course, they're not air-conditioned, right?

No they're not.

Q.3: And do you know about any other options?

Right next to MMU Cyberjaya (<10minutes walk) is Cyberia Condominiums. This is where I'm staying. Most people stay in the hostel during foundation, and move out in degree.

There are 3 apartment blocks here, A/B/C. There are also townhouse lots, D/E. There are also 4 swimming pools (3 freely accessible, 1 requires resident's card). In the unit I'm staying in at Block C, there's one master bedroom, one "middle room", and one single room. The master bedroom is often shared between 2 or more people.

Q.4: Are thefts any common? What are your experiences regarding this?

Q.5: Do you guys think that this is at all possible, or that I'm just being paranoid?

I have not experienced thefts, nor have I known anyone who has experienced one. I know that they do happen though. (Then again, thefts happen everywhere). It should mostly be fine though as long as you properly secure your room and belongings, and your roommate doesn't betray you.

It's better at Cyberia though, but there has been a few rare cases of break-ins. I actually have two PCs, one laptop, 3 monitors, >5TBs of storage, and several (old) game consoles here though.

As for data, I would recommend cloud storage. There's Dropbox, Google Drive, Copy, etc., though after the recent scandal, I'm actually considering using my own server. Just storing in the cloud creative material (things you made, took, irreplaceable stuff) should be enough though. Other things can be re-downloaded. You can also make a copy of them and keep it at home.

Q.6: Do people usually bring their desktop computers in with them in the first place?

Most people bring laptops, but there are people who bring their PCs. See above.

Q.7: Since it's a multimedia university, I assume that there must be decent-quality tablets available for use by students out of class. Is that true?

Q.8: If it's not, do you think that I should bring my tablet?

Not my faculty, but I don't think so. I know people in that faculty, and they all bring their own graphics tablets

Q.9: Do you have any recommendations regarding this one?

I don't know. I have an iPad too, but then again, I'm in Cyberia.

What About the Internet?

Q.10: Does it reach the dorm rooms?

There is WiFi coverage across the entire campus, though there are dead spots here and there. Hostel rooms have a single LAN socket on the wall, so the people in the room need to get a simple network switch to share the connection. The connection is fast most of the time, but I heard online gaming doesn't work very well.

Are There Pianos?

Q.11: Does the university have pianos that students can use?  :D

I would be surprised if MMU had one.

Anyway, here's my answers to your questions. Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic or cynical!

#7 SinanDira

SinanDira

Fresh CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hello, guys, guess what... I am typing to you from inside MMU! I'm staying at a temporary room right now, and must choose an accommodation option quickly!

I have not experienced thefts, nor have I known anyone who has experienced one. I know that they do happen though. (Then again, thefts happen everywhere). It should mostly be fine though as long as you properly secure your room and belongings, and your roommate doesn't betray you

"and your roommate doesn't betray you."

The single factor that has hindered practical scientists from achieving their goals the most throughout history is unpredictability. D:

It's better at Cyberia though, but there has been a few rare cases of break-ins.

But then again, this nearly renders both of them in the same boat (with no such a thing as absolute safety).

All by all though, I am leaning the most toward the option of a single room with a budget cap of RM 350 (I remember having seen this price online several times) OR twin-sharing, as opposed to triple.

However, the offers I found at Cyberia were surprisingly unusable. After a while of negotiating with the staff that I had walked to their location in order to get a first-hand tour with a clear price-list instead of calling numbers, they answered my 300 budget by the following: single rooms begin from 450, while twin sharing (500~) isn't administrated by them; someone has to rent the whole room alone and then arrange with the other sharer.

Do you think that they were trying to rip me off (considering that you have to call to get prices), or that the price I had heard about is simply available somewhere else?

If so, what accommodations would you recommend?

And if I go for twin-sharing, do you have any idea how to get there without having to live and acquaint some people in MMU's hostel first?

EDIT: Okay, I eventually had to stay at the hostel, initially for one month.

It has taken me some time to discover that the price I had somehow heard of of 350 for a single room is impossible. I guess my option then is just to get to know the people here well and eventually move into a twin-sharing room with a trustable person. My current options are Cyb-Arabia (bleh) or Cresent.

I guess the main discussion is over, but you guys are always welcome to add anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users