6 replies to this topic

#1 Kurokami_Tsuki

Kurokami_Tsuki

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

I made this thread for those who are passionate about making music, and or performing.

Can discuss what kind of music you make or like to perform.

If you have a soundcloud, youtube or website, do share, and we can add each other.

Even if you don't, you can just mention what you play, maybe a collab will happen, who knows =D

For me, I'm a composer, vocalist. Mainly doing electronic and soundtracks. 

Heres my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jacey-king

Share yours =D

sig.jpg

#2 nicklausyap

nicklausyap

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Hello,

Is there any tips to start producing own music? Moreover, what type of genre music do you make? Futhermore, what do we need in creating a music?

#3 Ashalia

Ashalia

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hullo~! I've performed several times on stage before, but never alone. :P

Been very interested in composing, but the only things I can tinkle with are the piano (maybe keyboard, but I have an electric piano, not the keyboard keyboard) and vocal harmonising.

I work with Audacity and Wavepad (more comfortable with this one) for recording stuff (mainly editing and fixing volumes, nothing too major), but my dream is to one day own GarageBand. XD There was another similar programme to it called Cubase, but the interface looks quite complicated compared to GarageBand.

My current musical missions are as such:

1. To look for a MIDI USB cable to connect my piano to my computer (at a good price. They seem so rare...)

2. To OWN and play around with GarageBand.

3. In the midst of arranging a duet cover (male & female), but still looking for a male singer for that. XD But even still, that's not confirmed as my instruments are quite limited (along with time...).

4. To finally be able to cover some songs...after acquiring a proper mic.

5. To...perhaps, muster some courage and perform Japanese songs at an open gig. :P

Yea, that's about it from me. Nice to meet another fellow musician. :D

Hello,

Is there any tips to start producing own music? Moreover, what type of genre music do you make? Futhermore, what do we need in creating a music?

1. Producing your own music...unless you're a pure genius and have a good ear in music, I think taking some basic classes or lessons in music might help. The best is to pick up a musical instrument and learn how to play it to understand how some notes sound together and what sounds good. Guitar or piano would be good to start with, though I know most people go with guitar. :)

Or if you're feeling creative, you could always produce music through just voices. Acapella. :D But that still requires you to have a good ear for music and some basic knowledge on music.

YouTube can be very helpful in this case. There's a lot of self-help videos to teach you these things. ^^

2. If it were me, I'd probably go for ballads. :P It's easier, and has a simple format to it. Ish. Then again, I'd say the same for most songs nowadays. :P But I'd love to do Celtic one day~ 

3. You would need musical instruments, if you can play them. :) If not, programmes like GarageBand (only on Apple, sadly. Unless someone knows how to port it to Windows. For free. ;D) and Cubase provides instruments for you in digital form. Though I think for those, you'd probably need to know how to read notes and be able to determine what tone/key a song is in.

It all comes down to having some basic knowledge in music. :) Then you can go to places from there, if you're willing to give it a try. ^^

Good luck! I hope that helps. ^^;

Posted Image

#4 Kurokami_Tsuki

Kurokami_Tsuki

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hello,

As for me, since I started from nothing, no muscial theory training, no knowledge on equipments, no budget, I started off with a software called FL Studio, which is automation based and does not require alot of musical theory to understand (tho having it does help)

Also, it depends on what genre of music you make, as for me, i do alot of electronic so I can keep the budget all within my softwares.

But in the end, its all in your creativity and passion. You can make music from a metal trashcan and record it with your phone and its still music. High quality recording is a different story.

Hullo~! I've performed several times on stage before, but never alone. :P

Been very interested in composing, but the only things I can tinkle with are the piano (maybe keyboard, but I have an electric piano, not the keyboard keyboard) and vocal harmonising.

I work with Audacity and Wavepad (more comfortable with this one) for recording stuff (mainly editing and fixing volumes, nothing too major), but my dream is to one day own GarageBand. XD There was another similar programme to it called Cubase, but the interface looks quite complicated compared to GarageBand.

My current musical missions are as such:

1. To look for a MIDI USB cable to connect my piano to my computer (at a good price. They seem so rare...)

2. To OWN and play around with GarageBand.

3. In the midst of arranging a duet cover (male & female), but still looking for a male singer for that. XD But even still, that's not confirmed as my instruments are quite limited (along with time...).

4. To finally be able to cover some songs...after acquiring a proper mic.

5. To...perhaps, muster some courage and perform Japanese songs at an open gig. :P

Yea, that's about it from me. Nice to meet another fellow musician. :D

Hello,

1. Producing your own music...unless you're a pure genius and have a good ear in music, I think taking some basic classes or lessons in music might help. The best is to pick up a musical instrument and learn how to play it to understand how some notes sound together and what sounds good. Guitar or piano would be good to start with, though I know most people go with guitar. :)

Or if you're feeling creative, you could always produce music through just voices. Acapella. :D But that still requires you to have a good ear for music and some basic knowledge on music.

YouTube can be very helpful in this case. There's a lot of self-help videos to teach you these things. ^^

2. If it were me, I'd probably go for ballads. :P It's easier, and has a simple format to it. Ish. Then again, I'd say the same for most songs nowadays. :P But I'd love to do Celtic one day~ 

3. You would need musical instruments, if you can play them. :) If not, programmes like GarageBand (only on Apple, sadly. Unless someone knows how to port it to Windows. For free. ;D) and Cubase provides instruments for you in digital form. Though I think for those, you'd probably need to know how to read notes and be able to determine what tone/key a song is in.

It all comes down to having some basic knowledge in music. :) Then you can go to places from there, if you're willing to give it a try. ^^

Good luck! I hope that helps. ^^;

Hey there, we're in the same SMT group lol xD Do you play/ cover english or japanese songs, or both?

I think if you learn how to use FL Studio and plug in your electric keyboard to it, you can create ALOT of material. 

I'm still crawling my way up financially for a good keyboard xD Any recommendations?

sig.jpg

#5 Ashalia

Ashalia

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hey there, we're in the same SMT group lol xD Do you play/ cover english or japanese songs, or both?

I think if you learn how to use FL Studio and plug in your electric keyboard to it, you can create ALOT of material. 

I'm still crawling my way up financially for a good keyboard xD Any recommendations?

It would seem so. But which one from SMT, I'm afraid that you'll have to find that out yourself. :P

I cover mostly Japanese songs. In the shower or in the car. XD Though there are several other English songs I would love to cover in the future. 

So, FL Studio, eh? Is it a free programme? But it also doesn't change the fact that I need a cable to plug in my piano to the computer. MIDI CABLE, WHERE ARE YOU? QAQ

As for keyboards, I'm not too familiar with them since I'm more of a piano person. Kinda learning the ropes here and there, but haven't had the time to dedicate myself for it (or space, because little siblings running about the house doesn't help at all. :P). I could try asking around for some recommendations, if you'd like. :)

Posted Image

#6 nicklausyap

nicklausyap

Senior CFer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hello,

Thank you Ashalia and Kurokami_Tsuki for the info!

#7 Guest_merlinriver_*

Guest_merlinriver_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

I made this thread for those who are passionate about making music, and or performing.

Can discuss what kind of music you make or like to perform.

If you have a soundcloud, youtube or website, do share, and we can add each other.

Even if you don't, you can just mention what you play, maybe a collab will happen, who knows =D

For me, I'm a composer, vocalist. Mainly doing electronic and soundtracks. 

Heres my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jacey-king

Share yours =D

Thanks Kurokami, I really like your idea to join each other. I also have few tracks which I have to upload on soundcloud but I have not created my soundcloud account yet. So, when I will create it I will update here.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users